Let's just get this out of the way and move on. No wi-fi. Why? Doesn't matter it just doesn't.

Feel free to bump to keep the 1,300 threads about wi-fi at bay.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-24-09 11:34 PM
    the ultimate question is why does verizon feel that it does not need wifi, especially when they are marketing their blackberries as world phones. Is this a stubborn disconnect with customers desires and needs? Or is this a money making, leash applying move to keep all revenue trackable and chargable by them (especially globally)???

I for one won't buy a 9630 in protest and will just wait it out. If they don't come up with a wifi version and a 100% GPS chip unlocked, ..... well, lets just say..... HELLO AT&T!
    03-24-09 11:48 PM
    Kinda pointless now ( its been beaten to death already ), but here's another reason why the 9630 and other VZ blackberry's should have wifi. http://forums.crackberry.com/f100/wi...rlines-190076/
    03-24-09 11:59 PM
    Now that's a real shocker oh I forgot its verizon so guess it makes sense!! Lol

03-25-09 12:00 AM
    the ultimate question is why does verizon feel that it does not need wifi, especially when they are marketing their blackberries as world phones. Is this a stubborn disconnect with customers desires and needs? Or is this a money making, leash applying move to keep all revenue trackable and chargable by them (especially globally)???

I for one won't buy a 9630 in protest and will just wait it out. If they don't come up with a wifi version and a 100% GPS chip unlocked, ..... well, lets just say..... HELLO AT&T!
    I hear you. Your preaching to the choir : )

Even an answer won't change what is though.

03-25-09 12:06 AM
    we should form a large group in protest! I mean in the end, its just a phone! In all reality, even though it has small improvements in most areas, it doesn't have a revolutionary one. It kind of reminds me of my mother's soap operas. U miss one episode but watch the next and its like u've missed nothing at all!

And as for this wifi issue, it needs a loud statement from us to verizon to turn this issue around in our favor! I'd be right up there with starting this group! And CB has a large enough following to sustain a good market share if we all get involved!

And since there are more important things in life than never skipping out on the latest phone, I'm willing to hold back if it will make a differences in our carriers decision making on this subject!

So don't buy this phone and let every rep know why you won't buy it! Let every store person know how you feel! Write a letter and say that this is a movement and we will not stand for this non-sense! Once word goes around, it will change, ou watch!

Bottom line, play with us and we play right back!
    03-25-09 12:21 AM
    What is the deal with wi-fi? I'm sure Verizon offers unlimited data like with TELUS. With a 3G network, it's not much difference.

03-25-09 12:30 AM
    GLOBAL data use! Airline use! Basement use! Home use! Hospital use! Any place that lacks signal but has wifi hooked up(mostly indoors)! Come on! Read before you post a silly question like this!
    03-25-09 12:34 AM
    ATT has wifi. Feel free to go to them.
    03-25-09 01:41 AM
    Its not just Verizon. Its all CDMA releases of BlackBerry's. I'm not supporting the decision to not have wifi, just saying its not all Verizon here. Unless they just have that much power in the market which would be insane.

03-25-09 07:01 AM
    Just remember, the capability is there, just disabled. VZW's mentality is that if the consumer doesn't know it exists, then it doesn't. It's what they did with GSP on their phones as well. Now is the time to bombard their emails and consumer advocate groups with complaints about this issue. Let's force their hand like we did with the GSP unlocks.
    03-25-09 08:47 AM
    I'd really like to see someone disassemble their CDMA 9630 and PROVE that the proper hardware is in place and be able to make the determination that the only thing missing is the software to make it work. GPS is easy to prove as all phones have e911 services now, thus, they all have a GPS integrated with them.

We all know Verizon won't pony up that kind of information and will never admit that they made the decision to exclude it from their phones.

I'm sure Verizon would love to benefit from not having WiFi on their phones in some way - and they can. They can track where you browse to on their DATA network because we're going through their routers. They can collect that data and resell that information to the highest bidders... But, on a WiFi network, they can't track your wonderings...no method of watching where you click, what your doing, where you are going, etc... There's a lot of money out there for market research and data like that! Verizon wants some of that for themselves. By not providing WiFi capabilities on their phones happens to support that.

Is this speculatory?? Absolutely it is!
    Does it make sense? Of course...
    Is it feasible?? 100 percent!
    03-25-09 09:23 AM
    we should form a large group in protest! I mean in the end, its just a phone! In all reality, even though it has small improvements in most areas, it doesn't have a revolutionary one. It kind of reminds me of my mother's soap operas. U miss one episode but watch the next and its like u've missed nothing at all!

And as for this wifi issue, it needs a loud statement from us to verizon to turn this issue around in our favor! I'd be right up there with starting this group! And CB has a large enough following to sustain a good market share if we all get involved!

And since there are more important things in life than never skipping out on the latest phone, I'm willing to hold back if it will make a differences in our carriers decision making on this subject!

So don't buy this phone and let every rep know why you won't buy it! Let every store person know how you feel! Write a letter and say that this is a movement and we will not stand for this non-sense! Once word goes around, it will change, ou watch!

Bottom line, play with us and we play right back!
    I hope your protest works. CB is a big BB community, but I am sure it does not matter to VZW if we protest or not.
    03-25-09 09:33 AM
    I hope your protest works. CB is a big BB community, but I am sure it does not matter to VZW if we protest or not.

Maybe we need to PETITION Verizon to include WiFi on all phones that are capable of it, including BlackBerry's! I'm sure there are a few "official" petition-collection websites out there that we could get everyone to sign up to then send the results to Verizon Wireless Corporate!

Maybe get Kevin to post a link on the front page, get other BB blogs to post it on their respective sites...could make an impact.

Here's a quick list of that I've found:
    petition
    iPetitions - Start your FREE online petition * - looks decent!
    Petition Spot - start free online petitions at petition spot
    Last edited by ksat; 03-25-09 at 09:44 AM.
    03-25-09 09:39 AM
    I'm a LONG time VZW customer, and I have to agree that this is complete nonsense. IMO VZW has the best mobile service available in the US, but this refusal to allow wi-fi and unlocked GPS is ridiculous. Whether it's greed or stupidity, there's no excuse for it anymore. VZW can't expect to maintain their status for much longer if they can't(or won't) make these and other technologies available. I almost switched last year when my NE2 was up. Unless this practice changes, it's likely that I will switch after this current contract ends. BTW, I blame VZW for most of this, but I think RIM has to take a hit on this too. Why create great smartphones, and then offer them to a company that intentionally limits them? Maybe if RIM stood up to VZW then we'd get somewhere. Imagine the amount of business VZW would lose if RIM stopped doing business with them altogether!
    03-25-09 10:10 AM
    I'm a LONG time VZW customer, and I have to agree that this is complete nonsense. IMO VZW has the best mobile service available in the US, but this refusal to allow wi-fi and unlocked GPS is ridiculous. Whether it's greed or stupidity, there's no excuse for it anymore. VZW can't expect to maintain their status for much longer if they can't(or won't) make these and other technologies available. I almost switched last year when my NE2 was up. Unless this practice changes, it's likely that I will switch after this current contract ends. BTW, I blame VZW for most of this, but I think RIM has to take a hit on this too. Why create great smartphones, and then offer them to a company that intentionally limits them? Maybe if RIM stood up to VZW then we'd get somewhere. Imagine the amount of business VZW would lose if RIM stopped doing business with them altogether!
    That's probably why apple chose not to do business with them with the iphone! I'm willing to bet that if it had came out for verizon instead of at&t, there'd be no wifi and locked GPS (2nd gen anyway).
    03-25-09 01:31 PM
    I'm working right now but when I go home later, I want to seriously look at starting or joining a petition so we can collectively express our dissatisfaction to the proper channels at corporate!
    03-25-09 01:33 PM
    Just remember, the capability is there, just disabled. VZW's mentality is that if the consumer doesn't know it exists, then it doesn't. It's what they did with GSP on their phones as well. Now is the time to bombard their emails and consumer advocate groups with complaints about this issue. Let's force their hand like we did with the GSP unlocks.
    You ae exactly right! I started emailing yesterday and again today. My plan is to continue the conversation. I got connected to a real person and have been replying to her VZW email. She answers and I reply.
    03-25-09 02:43 PM
    I would love to have wifi on the 8630, but I think there is a reason there are no bb cdma devices with wifi. Its not just verizon no cdma bb's have wifi. I don't think its some kind of conspiracy or anything. I would love the wifi, but I won't let me stop me from buying the 9630. The only bb's with wifi are slower gsm, and iden. As much as I don't like verizon, I don't think they are holding back the wifi. I don't know maybe I'm wrong.

03-25-09 03:23 PM
    You ae exactly right! I started emailing yesterday and again today. My plan is to continue the conversation. I got connected to a real person and have been replying to her VZW email. She answers and I reply.
    Copy and paste that conversation

03-25-09 03:24 PM
    I'm sure Verizon would love to benefit from not having WiFi on their phones in some way - and they can. They can track where you browse to on their DATA network because we're going through their routers. They can collect that data and resell that information to the highest bidders... But, on a WiFi network, they can't track your wonderings...no method of watching where you click, what your doing, where you are going, etc... There's a lot of money out there for market research and data like that! Verizon wants some of that for themselves. By not providing WiFi capabilities on their phones happens to support that.

Is this speculatory?? Absolutely it is!
    Does it make sense? Of course...
    Is it feasible?? 100 percent!

This doesn't really apply because browser traffic on a Blackberry travels through the BES/BIS protocols and not the handsets TCP protocols (in the sense that the BB browser doesn't talk directly with the websites in question), so the data even if you go via WIFI is still trackable via the BIS/BES proxy servers. It just originates from an outside ISP IP rather then the IP of the phone itself. So, in reality, the same info is viewable either way. Only phones that do direct (non-proxy) based browsing like a WinMo/Palm/iPhone device works direct with the website servers in hits. With phones like that, yes, when you're on WIFI, you'd bypass the tracking logistics of the carrier's network and be subject to that of the WIFI ISP carrier. Hope this makes sense.

BTW, on a BB if you used something like OperaMini in WIFI mode, that'd bypass the carrier and BIS/BES proxy network and its logistics. This is why when RIM has an outage, you can still use OperaMini and other direct TCP apps that don't require Blackberry Data service to work. In that case, they use the IP network of the carrier to route out and not RIM's NOC.
    03-25-09 03:37 PM
    This doesn't really apply because browser traffic on a Blackberry travels through the BES/BIS protocols and not the handsets TCP protocols (in the sense that the BB browser doesn't talk directly with the websites in question), so the data even if you go via WIFI is still trackable via the BIS/BES proxy servers. It just originates from an outside ISP IP rather then the IP of the phone itself. So, in reality, the same info is viewable either way. Only phones that do direct (non-proxy) based browsing like a WinMo/Palm/iPhone device works direct with the website servers in hits. With phones like that, yes, when you're on WIFI, you'd bypass the tracking logistics of the carrier's network and be subject to that of the WIFI ISP carrier. Hope this makes sense.

BTW, on a BB if you used something like OperaMini in WIFI mode, that'd bypass the carrier and BIS/BES proxy network and its logistics. This is why when RIM has an outage, you can still use OperaMini and other direct TCP apps that don't require Blackberry Data service to work. In that case, they use the IP network of the carrier to route out and not RIM's NOC.
    thanks civic... I can always rely on you for the facts...
    you should have your own forum where you give out FACTS and slam the idiots...
    03-25-09 03:44 PM
    Copy and paste that conversation

My First Email Yesterday:

Primary Subject: Feedback

Secondary Subject: Product or Service Feedback

Message Body:

Marketing or Customer Relations,

I have a Blackberry and am very interested in purchasing a Blackberry with WiFi. The Blackberry I have is my first and I find it impressive but lacking due to it not having WiFi. (Happy but could use WiFi)

My question is does VZW carry any Blackberrys with WiFi, and if not is VZW planning to add any in the near future? I know AT&T carries three different models but I would like to stay with VZW. I am a loyal customer for many years now.

Thanks for your consideration and reply in advance.

Her Reply:

Dear XXXXX,

Good evening! I hope you are having a pleasant day! Thank you for contacting us and I understand how valuable your time is. My name is Demetra, and I am delighted to assist you in regards to if VZW will offer any BlackBerry with WiFi.

I apologize that we do not offer Blackberry phones with WiFi capabilities, however you can add the feature Broadband Connect 5GB W VOICE $15. This feature will allow you to connect to the internet using your Blackberry as a modem.

We currently offer phones that have WiFi capabilities such as the HTC Touch Pro XV6850 and Samsung Omnia SCH-i910. Although you are not eligible to purchase a new phone at the promotional price you can purchase a new phone at full retail.

You may view available equipment by clicking on the following link, which will direct you to the "Products" page of our website:

https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=kSL49iPi

We appreciate your business and thank you for using Verizon Wireless products and services. Should you have additional questions or concerns, please reply to this e-mail.

Sincerely,

Demetra

Verizon Wireless

Customer Service

Todays Reply From Me:

Demetra,

Thank you so much for your quick reply. I had a Win Mobile Treo before switching to the Blackberry I currently have and am very pleased with the exception it lacks Wi-Fi. I want to stay with a Blackberry device and am not looking to tether to my laptop. I am looking for a Blackberry that will continue to receive data when I am in a building where I cannot receive a cell signal such as my work, talk on the phone and simultaneously receive data, and use the browser at Wi-Fi speeds. Yes, I do realize that VZW 3G is fast but not as fast as Wi-Fi connections and Wi-Fi will help keep me connected at work as well as out of the country.

My question is since VZW does not currently have a Blackberry Wi-Fi compatible, will VZW have a Blackberry Wi-Fi compatible in the near future such as this summer? Will VZW have the Blackberry Bold or a Blackberry similar to the Bold with Wi-Fi soon?

Thank you for your time.
    XXXXX
    03-25-09 03:55 PM

This does make sense - I hadn't thought about the BIS part of things. Even though the browsers are proxied at RIM, it's still using the VZW network for data transfer and therefore could potentially be used for tracking, is that right? If I understood you correctly, this would be the case. I thought the proxy information was at a deeper level on the phone and didn't realize that any direct-TCP app would bypass RIM servers completely - even during an outage. That's a new one on me.

Thanks for the useful information.
    03-25-09 04:16 PM
    Verizon is like Apple, why give you everything ex. mms, copy and paste, wi-fi, when they can simply make you want it more and still have you buy their products.
    03-25-09 05:05 PM
226 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD