My tour on the signal portion of my tour has shown my phone to be 1X instead of 1XEV...anybody else notice that with their tours or any other blackberry handset? Or is it just a Verizon thing?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-18-10 09:20 AM
    The 1X pretty much means your phone at the time can only make or receive calls, your not connected to Data services, give it time and the 1XEV should come up if it doesn't contact your service provider, or turn off and the turn on you phone portion of your phone to see if your able to get connected to a tower with Data Services.
    03-18-10 09:27 AM
    The 1X pretty much means your phone at the time can only make or receive calls, your not connected to Data services, give it time and the 1XEV should come up if it doesn't contact your service provider, or turn off and the turn on you phone portion of your phone to see if your able to get connected to a tower with Data Services.
    wrong......
    03-18-10 09:29 AM
    Actually you do still get data, just not 3G speed.

03-18-10 09:30 AM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you were getting 1X instead of 1XEV, you could make calls and get on the web/get emails. Are you sure you're not making a visual mistake between 1XEV and 1x? There's a difference if the letters are CAPS or not. If they are CAPS, you have BB data, if they are lower case (1xev or 1x) you only have voice, but no data.

Next time you're in your home area, dial *22899 to update your provisioning and PRL. This should help if roaming is an issue where you travel.
    03-18-10 09:32 AM
    1X (Non-EVDO w/BB Data Connection)
    1x (Non-EVDO w/No BB Data Connection)
    1XEV (EVDO w/BB Data Connection)
    1xev (EVDO w/No BB Data Connection)
    03-18-10 09:34 AM
    Oh I'm positive its 1X....been that way for 3 days now and I can still make/receive calls and still surf the web as I'm doing now posting this..did *228 and hit option 2 (verizon wireless ota programming for anyone not on verizon) 4 times since 8am and did 4 battery pulls hoping it would change it back to 1XEV which it would for 5 min and drop back to 1X. Even turned off the antenna and turned it back on again with the same results

03-18-10 09:37 AM
    Oh I'm positive its 1X....been that way for 3 days now and I can still make/receive calls and still surf the web as I'm doing now posting this..did *228 and hit option 2 (verizon wireless ota programming for anyone not on verizon) 4 times since 8am and did 4 battery pulls hoping it would change it back to 1XEV which it would for 5 min and drop back to 1X. Even turned off the antenna and turned it back on again with the same results

could be a local cell coverage issue... are there any phones around you picking up a constant 3G(1XEV) signal? If so, take the phone to verizon.. maybe they'll swap it out... could be a bad radio..
    03-18-10 09:44 AM
    Sorry to tell you, when setting up my TOUR I had the 1X and being I was on 1X I could not get a browser icon or couldn't even load the browser while in 1X, therefore there is NO DATA services while in 1X.
    All them 1X, 1xev, and 1XEV are all do to how your CONNECTED to your PROVIDERS TOWERS.
    1X you can make or receive calls, and MAYBE send and receive text messages.
    03-18-10 09:47 AM
    Sorry to tell you, when setting up my TOUR I had the 1X and being I was on 1X I could not get a browser icon or couldn't even load the browser while in 1X, therefore there is NO DATA services while in 1X.
    All them 1X, 1xev, and 1XEV are all do to how your CONNECTED to your PROVIDERS TOWERS.
    quit spreading these lies
    03-18-10 09:50 AM
    Maybe you didn't read my original post thoroughly or not but I still do have data/internet services but I'm stuck on 1X instead of 1EXV for 3 days now and my batterys been draining at a quick rate for those 3 days.

Oh even called verizon and they said it 'was normal' but I'm not happy that I can't get 1EVX

03-18-10 10:00 AM
    I meant to say 1XEV and not 1EXV

03-18-10 10:06 AM
    What?!?! Verizon doesnt have 3G EVERYWHERE?

In any event, 1X does have data. It's just slowwww. 60-80kbps average is painful man.
    03-18-10 10:24 AM
    quit spreading these lies
    I am NOT SPEAKING LIES!!!
    Maybe if you would look I am on SPRINT your on the DATA RAPERS VERIZON! I swear I would NEVER use Verizon again, they RAPE you for everything you get. I mean come on a $69.00 unlimited calling plan, but they fail to tell you add about another $20.00 to $40.00 even more for data services, like they wanna charge you and EXTRA $10.00 a month if you purchase a certain type of phone. How nice BUY the phone once, and keep paying for it for 2 years. SCAM! But leave it to Verizon to pull off a scam like that.

1X is analog, that is why it's killing your battery. Call your carrier chew them out and repair their towers or re-set them, or give you a NEW PHONE!
    Maybe try a profile and preffered network update from the phone.
    03-18-10 11:20 AM
    I've always compared 1x to edge on the gsm phones because its just as slow

03-18-10 11:23 AM
    Yea, EDGE blows too.
    03-18-10 11:27 AM
    I didn't mean to start a flaming war I wa just wondering if it was just my phone acting up or has any other Tour users noticed that lately and it just started on my phone 3 days ago and I've had my tour since september with zero defects till as stated 3 days ago

03-18-10 11:30 AM
    Ok I think I figured out what happened...I forgot to mention I'm running a leaked OS 5.0.0.419 and the other day I ran a diagnostic test by mistake which got me to 1X instead of EVDO..ow how do I unmake that diagnostic mistake? Go to where my signal is at its strongest and rerun the diagnostic or do I drop down to 4.7 and rerun it or can I go to DM and restore my last saved backed up files?

03-18-10 11:45 AM
    1X is analog, that is why it's killing your battery. Call your carrier chew them out and repair their towers or re-set them, or give you a NEW PHONE!
    1X is NOT analog! 1X is digital service (voice and data) without high speed data, which is the EV(DO) carrier component. 1X still alows data, just not high speed data. Had my blackberry for a year or two before Verizon added EVDO carrier to the local cell site and always had data, email, web browsing, just painfully slow until the EVDO carrier went on-air. Phone always showed 1X, until the day the EVDO carrier went live and then had 1XEV.

The short answer on 1XEV(DO)
    EVDO, or Evolution Data Only/Evolution Data Optimized, is a 3G mobile broadband technology used by Verizon, Sprint, and Alltel that provides typical speeds of 600-1400kbps download (with bursts up to 2000kbps) and 500-800kbps
    03-18-10 11:48 AM
    I am NOT SPEAKING LIES!!!
    Maybe if you would look I am on SPRINT your on the DATA RAPERS VERIZON! I swear I would NEVER use Verizon again, they RAPE you for everything you get. I mean come on a $69.00 unlimited calling plan, but they fail to tell you add about another $20.00 to $40.00 even more for data services, like they wanna charge you and EXTRA $10.00 a month if you purchase a certain type of phone. How nice BUY the phone once, and keep paying for it for 2 years. SCAM! But leave it to Verizon to pull off a scam like that.

wow man... are you off your meds?
    you are totally confused about the 1x 1X 1XEV 1xev thing...
    03-18-10 12:09 PM
    Ok I think I figured out what happened...I forgot to mention I'm running a leaked OS 5.0.0.419 and the other day I ran a diagnostic test by mistake which got me to 1X instead of EVDO..ow how do I unmake that diagnostic mistake? Go to where my signal is at its strongest and rerun the diagnostic or do I drop down to 4.7 and rerun it or can I go to DM and restore my last saved backed up files?

I would try running a back-up through DM, rolling back to a date before this problem. If that doesn't work, personally I would wipe and reload. PIA, but will probably get you up and running on 1XEV sooner than anything else.

One question, I don't know where you're located, but any chance that recent storms affected your local tower?

03-18-10 12:15 PM
    No, not off my meds. Actually I'm a tech in the wireless communications industry, and while I don't claim to know everything, this is one subject I have a very good working knowledge of. 1X IS digital service. Sprint has been exclusively a DIGITAL service provider for a very long time and the other carriers who did have analog shut those services down as per FCC mandate roughly February of 2008. Perhaps the following information regarding the termination of analog service may be a valuable reference?

Sprint and T-Mobile customers will not notice any kind of disruption or change in service as Sprint and T-Mobile are exclusively digital wireless service providers already. AT&T, Verizon, Alltel, and US Cellular are the wireless providers that still have live analog wireless services. Being responsible, the FCC mandated that these carriers must notify their customers at least four months in advance and again thirty days in advance of the analog wireless service shutdown. To their credit, the telcos have been very responsive in notifying customers. The providers are also trying very hard to retain these existing customers by providing free digital phones and special digital plans.
    03-18-10 12:22 PM
    What mededitor said should help^. Also whatever that other poster said about 1X=analog, I would erase that from your mind because that's completely wrong as you may know by now. I have VZW and at work only I have 1X due to they have no Verizon cell towers here, only US Cellular does. Everything works on the phone it's just slower. Hope you get your 3G back because it sucks on 1X (I still have wifi so that helps.)
    03-18-10 12:25 PM
    This is completely incorrect. 1X means there is no 3G/EVDO services. Data works fine with 1X, it's just slow.
    exactly...

1X (Non-EVDO w/BB Data Connection)
    1x (Non-EVDO w/No BB Data Connection)
    1XEV (EVDO w/BB Data Connection)
    1xev (EVDO w/No BB Data Connection)
    03-18-10 12:43 PM
    Well I have an answer for my problem I have....its a verizon network error cause I spoke with 3 regional supervisors and their phones (one has a BB and the other 2 have HTC Eres') and they also are showing 1X instead of 1XEV. They think its affecting the southeast

03-18-10 03:20 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD