I got my tour a couple months ago, it's been working fine except for problems I've introduced (failed attempts to upgrade OS). It's back running the stock Verizon OS just fine. I noticed this morning that if I apply a slight impact, such as dropping it about an inch onto the desk or into the charging pod, it reboots. Is this normal? It doesn't seem like it should be rebooting with such a slight jarring, especially since there's no real moving parts aside from buttons. What could be causing it. Should I take it in to the Verizon store and see about getting it replaced with a refurb?
    11-04-09 08:34 AM
    It deff should not be rebooting...I've never really dropped my Bold but I've dropped my 8320 a few times and its never rebooted
    11-04-09 08:37 AM
    It could just be that your battery is loose. If so you can just add something like a business card between battery and battery door. It's just a possibility.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-04-09 08:46 AM
    Thanks for the suggestion. Just tried putting a few small post-its on the battery. Still did it. Looks like I'll be taking it to the store when I get a chance.
    11-04-09 08:50 AM
    I don't have any experience with Verizon but I'm gonna have to say good luck getting them to replace it. I would assume that their stance is going to be that dropping the phone (from any height) is abuse.
    11-04-09 09:02 AM
    I noticed this happening, too. But I dropped my Tour from a bit higher. I'm guessing the battery just lost contact momentarily. I don't think there is anything actually wrong with the phone.
    11-04-09 09:04 AM
    If your still under warranty, maybe VZW will replace if you go in and demonstrate the issue. I personally don't like ghetto fixes like business cards on top of the battery. We pay far too much for these phones to be implementing fixes like that unless we somehow damage the phones on our own (not through normal wear and tear).
    11-04-09 09:06 AM
    My 8830 did that a couple times but the Tour has not.
    11-04-09 10:13 AM
    My wife had this same symptom. She was using an aftermarket battery (bought on Crackberry). The Sprint store swapped out the batt with a RIM one and voila it handled it.
    11-04-09 10:14 AM
    If your still under warranty, maybe VZW will replace if you go in and demonstrate the issue. I personally don't like ghetto fixes like business cards on top of the battery. We pay far too much for these phones to be implementing fixes like that unless we somehow damage the phones on our own (not through normal wear and tear).
    I agree with what your saying but i just meant that as a test to see if loose battery was the problem and not something else.

11-04-09 10:25 AM
    Hmmm, I am thinking this is actually battery related. After reading the posts about how switching the battery fixed it, and examining the phone, I found that if I took the door off, and just "wiggled" the battery around (not take it out, just push on it and move side to side a little), it rebooted. I took the battery out, cleaned the contacts on both the battery and the phone, as well as pushed the spring loaded phone contacts in and out a couple times, and put the battery back in. I've tried dropping it a couple times since, and it hasn't rebooted.
    11-04-09 10:32 AM
    I had the same exact problem last week. I just took the battery out and pressed the contacts on the phone in and out a few times and it fixed it.

11-04-09 11:12 AM
    I had that problem on one of my replacement tours. I'd get it replaced.
    Oh and it wasn't a battery problem in my experience. Still use the same two batteries as I did before.
    11-04-09 11:37 AM
    update: so it started again. I was driving home from work, had the Berry in the cup holder hooked up to the stereo playing music. Every time I hit a bump, it would reboot. I played with it and was able to get it to reboot just by tapping it. Went straight to the Verizon store. Showed the guy. He tried it and it did the same thing. So he put in an order for a replacement. Funny thing is after he put in the order, he tried to show his co-worker, and it was solid as a rock.
    11-05-09 04:51 PM
    Sounds like the battery isn't secure. The bump causes it to lose contact temporarily aka reset. Probably a hardware issue.
    11-05-09 04:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD