Does anyone out there know anything about the alleged "rumors" that RIM was and/or is going to come out w a wi-fi version of the tour? Because i know the new bb curve has wi-fi in it so now the ? that comes to my mind is when is RIM gonna come out with a wi-fi version of the bb tour for Verizon?
    05-16-10 08:03 PM
    It's called the 9650 Bold and there's a whole section dedicated to it here on crackberry. Go back to the main forum list and scroll down until you find it.

But yes, it's allegedly up on Sprint's website already even... Verizon hasn't officially announced it yet that I've heard but I'm sure it'll be soon...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-16-10 08:05 PM
    The Tour is effectively now an Edsel.

05-16-10 08:58 PM
    The Tour is effectively now an Edsel.

Its an Edsel if you want it to be there are plenty of us Tour users that are not having any issues with our Tour of any sort. When the phone starts to malfunction if it does then you switch, does it matter if you switch to the Tour II or The Bold 9650 or the Iron Man special, I dont think so. A name is a name, and functionality is functionality. I think too many people put down the Tour cause it is the fair game in town, but for many of us the Phone has no issues, specially when we take care of it properly, which I just dont think many do.

The trackball issue for the most part with common sense is not a problem, do not put it into a pocket full of lint without it being in a holster or a case, do not use the trackball with greasy dirty hands after eating your McDonalds french fries.

I have had two of them since November of last year (6 months) without any problems or issues. I have done one OS upgrade from the original 4.7 to 5.0 .0 .419. I use it quite extensively every day, I get 2 day full life out of my standard battery, do not have browser click issues, do not have the white screen that advises you of tech problems to run back and get it exchanged.

Just common sense, care, and dedication to making my phone last. I will be willing to bet that no sooner the 9650 start making the rounds, you will see a ton of complaints just as we do now, and then the 9650 will be at fault, or Rim or Sprint or Verizon. For the most part the problems you have with the Tour are user related, plain and simple. Yes there are some bad ones out there just as with anything else, but it is so easy to get on the bandwagon and put it down, so why not just join the crowd and do so.

Sorry for the rant just tired of so much negativity about the phone, it is a good unit, use it responsibly and it will work for you accordingly.
    05-17-10 10:22 AM
    The trackball issue for the most part with common sense is not a problem, do not put it into a pocket full of lint without it being in a holster or a case, do not use the trackball with greasy dirty hands after eating your McDonalds french fries.
    Even if you take care by not placing your Tour in your pocket and make sure your hands are clean, over time the use of the phone will degrade the trackball's grip as well as accumulate dirt and dust naturally. There's nothing you can do to prevent the trackball to malfunction eventually. The trackball concept has and always will be a severe flaw in design. Just another reason it has been abandoned by RIM.

The 9650 is a step towards more robust design and fewer issues in these phones.

By the way, consider upgrading to .643. I had .419 for ages and was scared to leave it since it functioned perfectly. But .643 is noticeably better.
    05-17-10 10:50 AM
    Even if you take care by not placing your Tour in your pocket and make sure your hands are clean, over time the use of the phone will degrade the trackball's grip as well as accumulate dirt and dust naturally. There's nothing you can do to prevent the trackball to malfunction eventually. The trackball concept has and always will be a severe flaw in design. Just another reason it has been abandoned by RIM.

The 9650 is a step towards more robust design and fewer issues in these phones.

By the way, consider upgrading to .643. I had .419 for ages and was scared to leave it since it functioned perfectly. But .643 is noticeably better.
    I believe the trackball statement is incorrect about it being inevitable that the trackball performance has to degrade with use. There are methods by which you can clean the trackball yourself without disassembling the phone that, when done occasionally, will keep it from degrading, at least to the extent it would without.

05-17-10 01:48 PM
    I believe the trackball statement is incorrect about it being inevitable that the trackball performance has to degrade with use. There are methods by which you can clean the trackball yourself without disassembling the phone that, when done occasionally, will keep it from degrading, at least to the extent it would without.

Agreed, I have done this with my Tour 9630 and other BBs that had a trackball and never had a problem with any of them. I clean my hands often with soap, water and/or hand sanitizer as well as clean the TB and keypad occasionally depending upon use with the paper strip method, followed by compressed air and then alcohol wipes.
    05-17-10 05:00 PM
    2009 called....
    05-17-10 05:09 PM
    2009 called....
    hahaha thank you
    05-17-10 07:48 PM

I'm not talking about cleaning the trackball. Using the trackball and friction against the rollers reduces the "grip" the ball originally has. I clean my phone on a regular basis but it's smooth and shiny now from use.
    05-17-10 07:51 PM
    Its an Edsel if you want it to be there are plenty of us Tour users that are not having any issues with our Tour of any sort. When the phone starts to malfunction if it does then you switch, does it matter if you switch to the Tour II or The Bold 9650 or the Iron Man special, I dont think so. A name is a name, and functionality is functionality. I think too many people put down the Tour cause it is the fair game in town, but for many of us the Phone has no issues, specially when we take care of it properly, which I just dont think many do.

I have had two of them since November of last year (6 months) without any problems or issues. I have done one OS upgrade from the original 4.7 to 5.0 .0 .419. I use it quite extensively every day, I get 2 day full life out of my standard battery, do not have browser click issues, do not have the white screen that advises you of tech problems to run back and get it exchanged.

Just common sense, care, and dedication to making my phone last. I will be willing to bet that no sooner the 9650 start making the rounds, you will see a ton of complaints just as we do now, and then the 9650 will be at fault, or Rim or Sprint or Verizon. For the most part the problems you have with the Tour are user related, plain and simple. Yes there are some bad ones out there just as with anything else, but it is so easy to get on the bandwagon and put it down, so why not just join the crowd and do so.

Sorry for the rant just tired of so much negativity about the phone, it is a good unit, use it responsibly and it will work for you accordingly.
    THANK YOU! Especially about basically taking care of ur phone. Still on my first tour since August 09.

05-17-10 07:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD