So, before we begin flaming: I know there are arguments about the trackball issue being a software thing. I've searched.

That out of the way, the only reason I am posting is because I think someone might be able to actually give me some help.

My first tour, purchased on release day, had a horrible trackball (call it a software issue if you must), and I returned it within 2 days for a new one, my current tour.

The new tour, (which has the same software as the "old" one) has a perfectly working trackball -- that was until earlier today. After a phone call, out of no where my trackball does not scroll to the right. It scrolls left, and when I try scrolling to the right I could feel that its completely different feeling (kinda like its missing the rollers). I did the obligatory battery pull to no avail.

Also, to add insult to injury, when I scroll right, it actually jumps left a few times before even scrolling right.

I cant imagine this being software, since I havent touched the software since I took it out of the box around July 15th.

I assume maybe the roller or something got dirty, or something to that effect (which makes me mad considering its only a month old). Anybody have any ideas on how to get it to work better?

Thanks!
    08-12-09 03:26 PM
    Mine did the same thing. My trackball wouldn't move down, and it felt like a completely different device, like it was a hardware issue. It fixed itself after a few minutes, but still annoying.
    08-12-09 03:29 PM
    Each of mine have been like this. Ok at first, then it degrades, and eventually can't use it which results in a 3 hour visit to the Sprint store while they do the whole swap process (lovely). I'm on my 4th Tour now. Surely you'll be replacing yours again... and again...
    08-12-09 03:32 PM
    Mine does it too. It's an easy fix. Press down on the trackball and roll it around. It releases quickly and works perfectly. As long as it doesn't get worse or happen more often, I'm not about to change out my device.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

08-12-09 03:36 PM
    You may also try to clean the trackball
    08-12-09 03:37 PM
    You may also try to clean the trackball
    Any good suggestions on how to clean it??

Am I wrong for being upset that this is so annoying with a brand new phone??
    08-12-09 03:42 PM
    I've had the same issue with my second Tour, and my current (third) Tour although to a much lesser extent.

What you can try: push down hard on the trackball and roll it around to loosen up any dirt, shooting some compressed air inside (not a lot, don't want it to build up in there), or spreading some rubbing alcohol on the trackball and rolling it around (once again, not a lot). These all helped with my issue temporarily, but unfortunately the only way I "fixed" the problem was to replace the phone.
    08-12-09 03:46 PM
    Get a Storm you wont have to deal with these problems. They worked out all the kinks with the new upgrades. The Tour is a great device though you'll work it out.

I wear flame resistant clothing so bring it on.
    08-12-09 03:47 PM
    Course you're not wrong to be annoyed. (You haven't even reached the tip of the iceberg of the potential annoyance at RIM over the buggy phone).

From what I've been told by the repair dept, they can't easily swap trackballs on the Tour... this is why they are swapping the whole phone every 7 days when the ball acts up.
    08-12-09 03:49 PM
    I think I'm ready for a half-touch half-qwerty BB!!

I know i know, supposedly those plans (if ever existent) were scrapped.

I've had 5 BB's on two different service providers, and although some have had their problems, I think so far the Tour takes the cake. Unfortunately, I also think the Tour is one of the best BB's out there -- I guess thats why I'm willing to deal with this! haha
    08-12-09 03:57 PM
    I'm ready for a trackpad CDMA BB. After playing with a trackpad on the Curve 8520, it's quite nice and MUCH better than the trackball.
    08-12-09 04:01 PM
    Get a Storm you wont have to deal with these problems. They worked out all the kinks with the new upgrades. The Tour is a great device though you'll work it out.

I wear flame resistant clothing so bring it on.

Great solution
    08-12-09 04:06 PM
    my track ball doesn't do this often but often enough. I am already on my second tour cause the first didn't have data services at all.
    08-12-09 04:22 PM
    I had an issue today due to temperature (very hard to get the ball/cursor to move). I find that the Tour trackball is sensitive to heat (changes in heat, not just "warm" or "cold"), oil on finger, anything sort of wet/damp, etc.

I loved my 8703e's scrollwheel. Much better.
    08-12-09 04:57 PM
    Just got my "Like New" replacement. If it is a refurb it must be a brand new one.

-Trackball has feedback to it and it works
    -Keyboard does not bow, like it has been enforced.
    -Screen does not ripple
    -Battery door does not move at all, no wiggle.
    -Reboots in less than 3.5 minutes with all apps loaded and backup restore done.
    -over all this tour feels like it is a new revision or a properly manufactured one.

My original was made in mexico 5
    My replacement was made in mexico 5
    08-12-09 05:27 PM
    The same thing happened to my Tour about a week ago. I pressed hard and rolled it around until it fixed itself.

But it happened again today and nothing I did could fix the problem. I ended up just heading to the Verizon store to get it exchanged.
    08-12-09 05:27 PM
    I've had the same issue and I'm on my second Tour. After I made the adjustment to the sensitivity it has worked better. I feel that this issue will get better over time. Its a great device so i'm working through that minor issue.
    08-12-09 06:10 PM
    Just got my "Like New" replacement. If it is a refurb it must be a brand new one.

-Trackball has feedback to it and it works
    -Keyboard does not bow, like it has been enforced.
    -Screen does not ripple
    -Battery door does not move at all, no wiggle.
    -Reboots in less than 3.5 minutes with all apps loaded and backup restore done.
    -over all this tour feels like it is a new revision or a properly manufactured one.

My original was made in mexico 5
    My replacement was made in mexico 5
    I guess you don't have the old to compare it with but I'm very curious about the change in boot-time. If there even any reference to even a minor upgrade to the OS or software? Or is there really something physically wrong that causes the slow boot???
    08-12-09 08:02 PM
    I have a Mexico 5 and after ajusting trackball to 80/90 i have to say i am quite satisfied with this phone. Im surprised that for a CDMA flagship phone, there is so many issues. After the Storm I thought RIM would have gotten this one right. I do believe the Tour is a great phone, just need some time to work out the bugs although it should be perfect right out of the box! Are you listening RIM?

08-12-09 08:18 PM
    My trackball was messing up and now has been fine for a week.
    08-12-09 08:57 PM
    My trackball had a problem and now seems fine.
    08-12-09 08:58 PM
    I sincerely hope most of you realize that country of origin doesn't make a difference. If a phone has problems, where it came from is a moot point.
    08-12-09 09:04 PM
    Had my tour for about three weeks, trackball has been acting up. Issue is only with east/west directional movement, north/south is unaffected. Went to Verizon service center and they replaced the device since, 1) they are not stocking the trackballs, 2) issue is a software bug that is going to be corrected with the release of 5.0 OS.
    08-12-09 09:35 PM
    they told me it was a software issue too. i really seriously doubt it... i hope it is, but i think they're going to have to find a new excuse once the new software comes out...
    08-15-09 05:24 PM
    I'm on my second tour as well..bcus my first tour tr�ckball wasn't working...now I am having the same issue with the 2nd one...30 warranty is up..Its getting frustrating using this phone..I dnt knw how long I'm gonna stick it in with the tour

08-15-09 10:26 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD