So i went through a couple of threads and havn't really found anything helpful. My first tour had an issue where every once in awhile my trackball would stick. Like i would roll my thumb and the ball wouldn't roll. So i went into the store and got it replaced. My second tour had the screen ripple issue so had that replaced. PS the verizon guy had to take out 3 different phones to finally get one that a barely noticeable ripples.
    So now on my third tour... everything seemed fine all day. Then tonight the trackball started to stick again. However, i did notice that it really got stuck is when i rolled the trackball left like 15 times... more than anything i needed to scroll on (i was just playing around) and a simple roll in the other direction would fix it. However, is this normal? I already pressed down pretty hard on the trackball and rolled it around and cleaned it out with rubbing alcohol on a Q-tip. However, it just bugs me that the trackball is sticking.... every once in awhile it'll just randomly stick even when i was testing it by rolling left 15 times.
    So is anyone else having this issue? and if so are you just hoping you need to wear it in more?
    Last edited by kcoolby; 07-27-09 at 10:50 PM.
    07-27-09 10:44 PM
    My trackball has been perfect. . I also have no idea what the screen ripple problem is.

Sad to say, everything else isn't so wonderful. I have random reboots. Missed calls that go straight to voicemail. And a battery door with a gap big enough at the bottom of the phone so you can see inside. The door also moves up/down/and side to side.

Wanna trade?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-27-09 10:52 PM
    I have had the exact same issue with the trackball on my tour...
    07-27-09 10:54 PM
    So i went through a couple of threads and havn't really found anything helpful. My first tour had an issue where every once in awhile my trackball would stick. Like i would roll my thumb and the ball wouldn't roll. So i went into the store and got it replaced. My second tour had the screen ripple issue so had that replaced. PS the verizon guy had to take out 3 different phones to finally get one that a barely noticeable ripples.
    So now on my third tour... everything seemed fine all day. Then tonight the trackball started to stick again. However, i did notice that it really got stuck is when i rolled the trackball left like 15 times... more than anything i needed to scroll on (i was just playing around) and a simple roll in the other direction would fix it. However, is this normal? I already pressed down pretty hard on the trackball and rolled it around and cleaned it out with rubbing alcohol on a Q-tip. However, it just bugs me that the trackball is sticking.... every once in awhile it'll just randomly stick even when i was testing it by rolling left 15 times.
    So is anyone else having this issue? and if so are you just hoping you need to wear it in more?
    Sorry to hear that. No wonders! RIM uses the worst building materials. In a word, yes most blackberries have flaws.
    07-27-09 10:56 PM
    go back and have them program and provision the new one then test it out to make sure its perfect before you do the exchange and bring it home. i just did that and mine works perfectly. It seems that the earliest batch had the problems but the newest ones work perfect on factory settings with no sensitivity adjustment.
    07-27-09 10:58 PM
    I have had the exact same issue with the trackball on my tour...
    are you just gonna live with it? or bring it back?
    07-27-09 11:08 PM
    go back and have them program and provision the new one then test it out to make sure its perfect before you do the exchange and bring it home. i just did that and mine works perfectly. It seems that the earliest batch had the problems but the newest ones work perfect on factory settings with no sensitivity adjustment.
    well you see i did play around with it... thats why i was able to catch the screen ripple. When your scrolling through the menu... about 99% of the time it scrolls just fine. Out of the whole day i've had the trackball get stuck like 3 times when i was scrolling through the menu. However, when i purposefully tried to repeat this problem, i would keep scrolling the trackball left like 15-20 times and eventually it'll stick.
    07-27-09 11:10 PM
    My trackball has been perfect. . I also have no idea what the screen ripple problem is.

Sad to say, everything else isn't so wonderful. I have random reboots. Missed calls that go straight to voicemail. And a battery door with a gap big enough at the bottom of the phone so you can see inside. The door also moves up/down/and side to side.

Wanna trade?

Could someone explain what exactly the screen ripple problem is? Is it very noticeable/ obvious?
    07-27-09 11:19 PM
    I have the same issue with my trackball getting physical stuck. I don't have any of the other issues that everyone elese has with their battery doors and ripples. I am going to live with this sticking issue because it doesn't happen often and is easily reversible. I have insurance and repair through Sprint so I am not going to worry about it. I will have them replace the trackball by itself later if it gets worse.
    07-27-09 11:26 PM
    are you just gonna live with it? or bring it back?
    I'm just going to live with it unless it gets much worse. Right now it only happens every once in a while and it does fix itself easily.

07-27-09 11:37 PM
    Could someone explain what exactly the screen ripple problem is? Is it very noticeable/ obvious?
    here's a trick to find out about the screen rippling. Go to your downloads folder since it's probally emtpy, if not make it empty for now or any other folder with that dark blue background( shows the screen rippling better) and just press down on ur trackball several times and watch the bottom corners of the screen.
    07-27-09 11:44 PM
    Kcoolby - thanks for the explanation. Looks like my Tour is "rippling" also. Does this affect anything (functionally), or is it just an annoyance? Has anyone noticed it on other screens (other than the blue screen)?

07-28-09 12:04 AM
    here's a trick to find out about the screen rippling. Go to your downloads folder since it's probally emtpy, if not make it empty for now or any other folder with that dark blue background( shows the screen rippling better) and just press down on ur trackball several times and watch the bottom corners of the screen.
    Kcoolby - thanks for the explanation. Looks like my Tour is "rippling" also. Does this affect anything (functionally), or is it just an annoyance? Has anyone noticed it on other screens (other than the blue screen)?

I just created a blank folder to see the effects. Sure enough the ripples are there. It looks like a light blue half moon. Now that I'm looking at it closer, it appears on every screen but is most prominent when there are no icons blocking the background.
    07-28-09 12:44 AM
    my trackball does this going up once in a while. It actually doesn't stick but it's best described as if my up trackball sensitivity were lower than my down left and right trackball sensitivity 10% of the time. Once it got stuck but, everything else with it is so perfect that this is a minor issue for me.
    07-28-09 01:38 AM
    well i guess everyone is just living with it...

btw the screen ripple is on every screen... just easier to see on the blue screen.

So you guys with the sticky trackball... have you tried any fixes yet?
    07-28-09 06:47 AM
    My trackball in general has been perfect. However, I noticed that in high humidity areas the trackball slips a bit. You don't get that distinctive "grind" when the ball is rolled. It's a smooth roll and the cursor doesn't respond very well.
    07-28-09 07:11 AM
    My trackball in general has been perfect. However, I noticed that in high humidity areas the trackball slips a bit. You don't get that distinctive "grind" when the ball is rolled. It's a smooth roll and the cursor doesn't respond very well.
    yea thats exactly what i'm talking about... that smooth feeling. However, if you look at the trackball when that happens... it's not actually rolling its just your thumb rolling over the trackball and makes that smooth touch. Other than this my trackball has been perfect, very responsive. Do you think it is because of high humidity? Cause it was pretty humid yesterday and it thunderstormed in NY by 11pm....
    07-28-09 07:33 AM
    yea thats exactly what i'm talking about... that smooth feeling. However, if you look at the trackball when that happens... it's not actually rolling its just your thumb rolling over the trackball and makes that smooth touch. Other than this my trackball has been perfect, very responsive. Do you think it is because of high humidity? Cause it was pretty humid yesterday and it thunderstormed in NY by 11pm....
    I never thought to actually try and see if the ball was rolling while getting that smooth feeling. Maybe you're onto something here. The ball itself feels smoother than the ball on the Curve. When I'm indoors with the AC on I never have an issue. But if I'm outside like I was last night where the humidity was over 50% I was having the issue. Could be the combo of high humidity and dampness on your thumb.
    07-28-09 08:07 AM
    Hmmm... I just tried to duplicate the ripple problem and I have not such "ripple" as explained. Also, it rained pretty heavy here last night and the humidity is around 98%, but my trackball isn't "sticking" and I've never experienced that either. I have, however, had a couple random reboots.
    07-28-09 09:18 AM
    I've been wiping my thumb dry before I use my trackball to remove the oil haha seems to be improving my situation

07-28-09 09:49 AM
    I never thought to actually try and see if the ball was rolling while getting that smooth feeling. Maybe you're onto something here. The ball itself feels smoother than the ball on the Curve. When I'm indoors with the AC on I never have an issue. But if I'm outside like I was last night where the humidity was over 50% I was having the issue. Could be the combo of high humidity and dampness on your thumb.
    hmmmm maybe your right... i've been out and about all day with extremely heavy phone use. The trackball has not sticked at all so far. It is also like 85 degrees out and very sunny lol. Actually the trackball seems overly sensitive now. During the menu when i try to scroll left or right, several times it would go down or up too. Readjusted sensitivity to 70 and it's occurring less but still going down or up without me meaning to make it go down or up.
    But no sticking so far today :-)
    07-28-09 02:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD