Hey everyone...freshly back on the blackberry scene after having an iphone for a few months. I picked up the Tour on Monday and it has been awesome except for the trackball which seems to be a common problem for a lot of ppl. Just wondering if anyone knows the release date of the new OS that is supposedly going to fix the trackball problem? I turned the horizontal sensitivity up to 80 and it seems to be working better.. but after seeing other people's posts it may just be a matter of time before it starts sticking again. Just don't want to get stuck waiting it out and not get a replacement if the trackball does keep faulting. Thanks!
    08-27-09 05:43 PM
    I wouldn't wait for an OS update. I am convinced it is a hardware issue. RIM failed big time with the Tour. It is the worst BB they have made. They need to recall the Tour to fix trackball issues. I have lost all my faith in RIM.
    08-27-09 05:47 PM
    the Tour is one of the best devices i have ever had and i have had every BB that vzw has had on their network. If you feel your trackball is not correct take it to the store and have a cust service rep take a look. if it is just lag from software then with all the new OS that have been leaked it looks like it may only be a matter of weeks before we get a new one.
    08-27-09 06:03 PM
    I wouldn't wait for an OS update. I am convinced it is a hardware issue. RIM failed big time with the Tour. It is the worst BB they have made. They need to recall the Tour to fix trackball issues. I have lost all my faith in RIM.
    Talk about a hater, hating big time. The Tour is no where as bad as this joker is saying.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-27-09 06:03 PM
    The Tour is the best blackberry (my third generation of berrys) that I have owned, although it took two replacements for me to form that opinion. Do not wait for the update, go into the store and ask them to replace it like others have said. Ask to test the trackball before they go through all of the transfer and paperwork. Its my opinion that there is no possible way that this is a software issue.
    08-27-09 06:11 PM
    Talk about a hater, hating big time. The Tour is no where as bad as this joker is saying.

He's hating, but he's right. At least RIM recognizes that it put out a faulty product and is correcting the issue(s). (see green dot thread)
    08-27-09 06:16 PM
    Yeah I am definitely a fan of the Tour. I've only had one other BB... the 8830 and I like the Tour a lot better. The trackball seemed to work fine the first couple days but just noticed it start to stick a lot today. If it gets any worse I'll probably end up taking it back for a replacement
    08-27-09 06:16 PM
    Seeing as the leaked 5.0 build doesn't fix the trackball issue on my Tour, I'm going to agree it must be hardware related. Hopefully the upcoming 9650 will be built a little better when it's released.
    08-27-09 06:18 PM
    I don't thinks he's right. I'd have to say it was the storm that was the worst.

Anyway yes just exchange it. I got mine replaced and it works well now. You were probably just unlucky to get leftover old stock.

Hardware or software problem I don't care anymore. You pay to have a phone that works right now. They have stock that works right now so go get one. Its on the same OS as your not working one...

08-27-09 06:20 PM
    The tour is my first Blackberry, and is by FAR the best phone I have ever owned. I did get one with a bad trackball and exchanged it and it is AWSOME, all phones have flaws when they first come out.
    08-27-09 06:27 PM
    I'll definitely have to make an exchange sometime soon then. I'm guessing if I ask the sales reps if they have the new, working batch of the Tours they should show.
    08-27-09 06:42 PM
    The Tour is the best CDMA Blackberry to date.

08-27-09 06:46 PM
    The tour is my first device from BB and besides the trackball and some other OS-seeming issues, i think the phone is awesome.

I do have one question about the trackball: I have sprint, and i have compared my tour to a Verizon tour, and it seems like my trackball is actually a lil bit smaller in size, and maybe that's why it feels so loose and it takes several scrolls to move to another icon?
    08-27-09 06:57 PM
    I wouldn't say that it is totally hardware related. There are some who have replaced the trackball and gotten no better results. It could be the sensor board.

The reason it still could be software based is that the .140 build most likely didn't address this problem at all. From my understanding it seems that .140 is like a beta for 5.0 where it adds some new 5.0 functionality to it, but still remains the same base OS that we have standard.
    08-27-09 07:01 PM
    I have had a few BB's and the Tour is the best so far IMO
    08-27-09 07:13 PM
    Definitely get it fixed. Tour is worth keeping. Best bb I've owned so far, and I've had 4 previous models.

08-27-09 07:57 PM
    Are you serious???

Dude, this aint the Storm forums. You meant to click the link above this one.

08-27-09 08:08 PM

Hater?? Because he expressed his opinion? A little insecure because he doesn't share your opinion, thoughts, way of life....etc?? Man, get over it....it's just a phone and everyone's allowed their opinion. And yes, I have a Tour and dig it other than the LAGGY TRACK BALL!!!! Oh, and I probably dislike a lot of things you like.....hope you lose sleep tonight!
    08-27-09 08:19 PM
    The tour is my first device from BB and besides the trackball and some other OS-seeming issues, i think the phone is awesome.

I do have one question about the trackball: I have sprint, and i have compared my tour to a Verizon tour, and it seems like my trackball is actually a lil bit smaller in size, and maybe that's why it feels so loose and it takes several scrolls to move to another icon?

I don't know about it being a Verizon vs. a Sprint thing, but I've had three Verizon tours and the trackball and keyboard felt completely different on my third one vs. the first two. It may be in my mind, but my third one feels more solid then my first two. And the third one finally works like it should.
    08-27-09 08:38 PM
    Take your phone back for a new one...
    08-27-09 08:46 PM
    I don't know about it being a Verizon vs. a Sprint thing, but I've had three Verizon tours and the trackball and keyboard felt completely different on my third one vs. the first two. It may be in my mind, but my third one feels more solid then my first two. And the third one finally works like it should.
    +1. When RIM decides to drop the hammer in the QC department they still turn out some solid devices. My replacement tour is more solid than my 8900 was, which was 4 months into production when I got it.

08-27-09 09:11 PM
    I was actually talking to my blackberry rep at work today cause he came in, He has a tour and I have a tour. He exchanged his out and I just went and am waiting for my new one to come from sprint today. After talking to him I went straight in to the service center to get mine replaced. He was telling me that blackberry had a certain batch go out that have hardware issues with the trackball and they know this. So I Went in and had no problem switching it out. When I first got it at 70 for sensitivity it would work ok, but now when I switch it back it doesn't even work ha ha. So when I went in I sent it back to 70 to prove my point, I was after 30 days btw.
    08-27-09 09:20 PM
    I could live with a faulty track. But man look at the Storm. I had it for several months all I ever seen was a hour glass. Then when it booted the touch screen half worked. Need I say more. The Tour is the best BB on the market. At least RIM is correcting their mistake. I have no complaints with Big Red they have gave me no problems switching mine out.
    08-27-09 09:36 PM
    i agree wit the others, take it back. they will give you another one. dont want until its too late. i dont have the tour just yet but hopefully this weekend and i will be testing it out before they do all my paperwork to make sure that i get a good one. no phone out there is perfect people. there will always be complaints.
    08-27-09 09:56 PM
    The Beta software testers say the OS has nothing to with it.
    5.0.0.191 on the TOUR. Screenshots! - Page 2 - BlackberryOS.com

Sprint took care of mine in less than 5 minutes & restarted the clock on my 30 day satisfaction guarantee.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f141/tr...ml#post3454074
    08-28-09 02:58 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD