Wow...so I got my new housing. I would honestly not recommend doing this. It was a huge pain and I am definitely not happy with the outcome at all. I ordered on ebay; I received the tools and the housing.

I was not aware but the seller didn't actually send me the actually middle piece (that connects the halves of the phone together/covers the camera).

So now I have a tour that is black, white, and gold. It looks absolutely hideous. I tried my regular OEM trackball and the Curve trackball; neither fit in the keyboard right no matter what I did. I tried putting the ball in every way possible. It sits extremely low into the keyboard. It can be used but its not really functional.

I also saw tons of "tutorials" posted. I found them to be absolutely worthless. The only one that at least was informative was the one about changing your trackball by gazelle.com It was the only one that was actually talked through so you at least had an idea what you were doing. Also, you don't have to completely disassemble everything. I was watching other tutorials, so thats what I did.

01-08-10 09:53 PM
    I don't think that looks bad. You could always conver up the black part with a skin if you wanted to. That sucks that the trackball isn't great though. Thanks for posting pics, your experience, and a good disassembly link. Who was the seller on ebay?
    01-08-10 10:13 PM
    The seller was "best2world". They were actually really awesome. I actually sent them an email because I was expecting a plain gold back, so thats part of the problem. Plus, there is something with the keyboard cause the lights don't light up right behind it.

I've never put one of these together so I am really just doing the best I can; I may have done some things wrong.
    01-08-10 10:19 PM
    I am glad I am happy with the Black I just hope you haven't voided out the warranty on your phone because when I sold wireless 3 yrs ago if you physically made a change to a device other than a snap on case, and you had to have something done technically, they would refuse because the warranty was voided.
    01-08-10 10:23 PM
    My warranty has long since been voided out. I'm up for renewal in april so I don't care about that. Its only the cosmetics of the phone anyway. I can always throw a case on it and that'll cover everything up.
    01-08-10 10:27 PM
    it look's good, it's not that bad , you have the offical austin power"s gold member edition phone!!!!!!! " I LOVE GOLD!!!" LOL
    01-08-10 10:27 PM
    ^^lol, thanks. I'm just traumatized by it not being at all what I envisioned
    01-08-10 10:29 PM
    Damn, sorry to hear it came out that bad, but did you really think gold would look good on a phone?
    01-08-10 10:32 PM
    Different people like different colors and there's nothing wrong with that. I changed the housing on my 8330 to purple and LOVED the color, but it fit horribly. I actually ended up two-sided taping my screen on. It looks like the gold fits nicely!
    01-08-10 10:39 PM
    well its gonna be stuck on because the one screw wont come out anymore, I think its just stuck. FML.
    01-08-10 10:50 PM
    u get what u pay for with ebay.

what tutorials did u watch?? I thought all of them were absolutely helpful.

p.s. u should take the white sticker off the battery door off and replace it with the OEM black...i think it will look tight
    01-08-10 11:33 PM
    Agree, take the white battery cover off and go back to black. What bugs me is why you have 2 different shades of gold...was that the intention?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-08-10 11:50 PM
    That was how it arrived.

This whole things gets even better.

So I decide I will just take the housing off, no worries and water under the bridge. Of course, the screws back there are somewhat sensitive. I wasn't certainly not sensitive. I had my poor dad try to get the last screw out; its not coming out. I screwed too tightly and its completely ground down so it wont even spin.

I've clearly learned my lesson.
    01-08-10 11:54 PM
    Wow this really sucks...I remember changing the keyboard on my old curve and was being casual abt it (aka impatient) and didn't clean up dust below the screen before closing everything up. You really have to be all abt these housing changes when undertaking the process. I think wat really sucks is that you were a lil mislead abt the parts u purchased. For one, this was not a full housing set, otherwise u would have had all the pieces u needed, and the colors would have matched. Seems more like the seller mix and matched parts. Second, if the lights on the keyboard are wacked, could it be possible the keyboard is not for a tour? There are keyboards for the 8900 and 9700 that look similar (I could be making that up tho, they prob wouldn't fit at all). However, that might be the reason ur trackball isn't working properly as well.

If u do decide to give it one last hurrah, I recommend getting the pieces u need from cnn.cn or swbox.com (I think that's the incorrect name for sw, do a google search for it, they have the best prices). I wouldn't trust ebay for much anyhow, and this is def one area I wouldn't buy because with the # of BB's out there now, all the more parts to sell, and the greater the chance of not getting what u need.

Good luck getting the phone back to workable status!

01-09-10 12:26 AM
    First of all, I'm really sorry for your experience.

I'd done many housing replacements/mods/all of that wonderful stuff and I've never had a problem. I agree with some of the previous posters.. patience is a virtue.

Also, in my opinion, almost every tutorial I've seen out there is very very useful. But I guess it depends on perception. Anywho, good luck!
    01-09-10 12:42 AM
    Wow...so I got my new housing. I would honestly not recommend doing this. It was a huge pain and I am definitely not happy with the outcome at all. I ordered on ebay; I received the tools and the housing.

I was not aware but the seller didn't actually send me the actually middle piece (that connects the halves of the phone together/covers the camera).

So now I have a tour that is black, white, and gold. It looks absolutely hideous. I tried my regular OEM trackball and the Curve trackball; neither fit in the keyboard right no matter what I did. I tried putting the ball in every way possible. It sits extremely low into the keyboard. It can be used but its not really functional.
    Your Tour is black, white, gold and SILVER. Hehe. My suggestion is cutting out a black piece of leather and glue over the white portion. It tones down the weird white spot on the back of your phone imo.
    01-09-10 02:08 AM
    i was looking on ebay the sell the "mid chassis" in the kits now. but that dosent help since u rounded off that screw... you could drill the head off of that screw if you wanted to but you have a upgrade anyways...
    01-09-10 02:24 AM
    One of my coworkers, who is super skilled at basically everything he does, got the screw out for me. So I moved back to the plain housing that came with the phone.

I had ordered a yellow housing at one point too, and that one came with the middle piece and new trackball already fitted in with the keyboard. I can't be mad at anyone cause I honestly had no idea what I was doing when I bought it.

I definitely learned from the experience; I should have done more research when buying.
    01-10-10 11:10 PM
    Your Tour is black, white, gold and SILVER. Hehe. My suggestion is cutting out a black piece of leather and glue over the white portion. It tones down the weird white spot on the back of your phone imo.
    You can peel (carefully) the black fo-carbon fiber strip off the OEM battery door and stick it on the white one instead of using an alternative. Looks more "factory" IMO

01-10-10 11:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD