Hey All,

I own a Palm Pre and needless to say I am not happy with it at all. I have had many hardware issues with it and a few months back all my contacts were lost on their "cloud". I am pissed because this had a lot of personal and business contacts that I WILL not be able to get back.

I left my Curve 8330 for the Pre and I want to go back to BB. But I want to get the Tour. I am available for an upgrade, but I do not want to pay $150 for another phone. I also want to save my upgrade for the ESSEX when it comes out and not waste it on the Tour. I am with Sprint and I am trying to argue my point to have them compensate me for my loss of contacts and crappy Pre's.

I bought the Pre off contract, full retail from Sprint but have returned the thing 4+ times. I have also been w/ Sprint for almost 6 years, I love their rates and service all around my area. Do you guys have any advice for arguing my point and trying to get a Tour for minimal cost to me? I am waiting to hear back from a CS supervisor on my issue....any options you can think of would be helpful! Thanks
    11-24-09 09:33 AM
    The Tour is a great Phone. Its one of the best Blackberrys I have owned, but the number one failure of the phone is the trackball. Many users have had the trackball fail on them. If your able to hold out for another month for the Essex (Tour 2) it will have a trackpad, wifi, and more onboard memory and be just as good as the Tour is now. If you can wait, wait, and if your able to get the Tour now, You still got a really good phone none the less
    11-24-09 09:38 AM
    I dont mind waiting, but I dont think the Essex will be out that soon, no real dates have been stated.

But what about my argument? Do you think Sprint should compensate me at all? Or am I just whining too much? The loss of contacts is a pretty big deal for me, I would like some type of deal thrown my way.
    11-24-09 09:42 AM
    Maybe if you explain to them that you lost your contacts and had to replace the Pre 4 times already for the same issue (right?). Don't they have a policy saying if you return the same device more than 3 times for the same issue you are able to get a replacement or equal or lesser value?

If you don't get anywhere with that why not just use your Curve until, the Essex comes out?
    11-24-09 10:25 AM
    Wow...even the newb. post had some sense to know the Tour2 aint coming out in a month...so much for being a Genius.

Anyways, if I where you, I wouldn't hold off for the Tour2 unless I heard a solid date of when its coming out. And if your okay with getting the Tour1, I'd start of by letting them know how much you've liked their service, and their reps, and just moving your way up to seeing how much it would cost u to get the Tour. Ask what are ur options and when they mention the Tour, act as if you've never know what device that is. If he doesn't give u a good deal, ask to speak to the supervisor. Your not really lying and I'm not making you lie cuz u have a legitimate reason to be happy, and plus, you wanted to get what you payed for right, which is another thing you note to them. Let us know what happens.
    11-24-09 11:11 AM
    I tried explaining this to the basic CS rep, she was not budging at all, they offered me a $20 settlement...that made me even madder. I am supposed to speak with the Supervisor today, so I wanted some more opinions from you guys on this issue.

I dont have my Curve anymore...I gave it to my girlfriend, but she loves it! So I can't ask for it back. The Pre is now $150..same as the Tour.

I was thinking about asking them if I resign a two year deal, can I get the phone for free and keep my voucher for an upgrade since the Essex is coming out soon. That way they get my money because I am resigning but I still have an opportunity to get the Essex at a contracted rate instead of full price AND get a Tour 1 for now
    11-24-09 11:14 AM
    I tried explaining this to the basic CS rep, she was not budging at all, they offered me a $20 settlement...that made me even madder. I am supposed to speak with the Supervisor today, so I wanted some more opinions from you guys on this issue.

I dont have my Curve anymore...I gave it to my girlfriend, but she loves it! So I can't ask for it back. The Pre is now $150..same as the Tour.

I was thinking about asking them if I resign a two year deal, can I get the phone for free and keep my voucher for an upgrade since the Essex is coming out soon. That way they get my money because I am resigning but I still have an opportunity to get the Essex at a contracted rate instead of full price AND get a Tour 1 for now
    Even if the reps are aware of it, they won't acknowledge the existence of the Essex. And I don't think asking them if u can get something for free would be a good idea. Let them give u the option. Its kinda like if ur saying, "Pleeeeease. If you give me the Tour, ill be your friend?!" Lol

Just be honest with them. Tell the supervisor what happened, how your happy with the service, but unhappy with the phones performance and the way they have handled the situation, and see where it goes from there. Believe me, if your honest, they'll smell that and your frustration, and the supervisor might cut u some slack. Cuz if your thinking you can screw with the guy, probably aint gonna happen since he was once a rep and now a supervisor. Imagine how many cases of, "I don't like this phone, give me that phone for free" he saw and heard in his career time.
    Last edited by xxDruMMer BoYxx; 11-24-09 at 11:31 AM.
    11-24-09 11:25 AM
    HAHA I agree, the free part was pretty out there but I really dont want to pay for a new device when I already paid retail for the damn Pre...my mistake, just learn not to make the same one again.

So the basic CS rep told me my options were to take the $20 or to use my available upgrade to buy a new phone.

What options do you think I should counter with so it can potentially be a win/win for both sides and me not spending more $? If any...
    11-24-09 11:30 AM
    If anything, its kinda hard to believe you'll get it for free. Would probably take the right attitude from your part, and the right rep/supervisor to listen and act on it. As far as lowering to less than $150, in my opinion, just what you went through alone with the Pre holds a good argument as to why u shouldn't pay what they're asking for to get a functioning phone. Go at it with the right words, but don't expect to get it for free...I mean 150 is better than Retail the way I see it.
    11-24-09 11:38 AM
    Oh and if all else fails, I'd take those 20 bucks they offered, and your Tour would only come out to 130 before taxes. Lol
    11-24-09 11:40 AM
    I agree, I would pay $100 for a Tour, but I don't want to lose my ability to upgrade when the ESSEX comes out. Plus, I can just sell my Pre on ebay for atleast $100 to cover the charges! So I know I can break even, I just do not want to lose my ability to upgrade, I will let ya know what happens!

Thanks for the advice Drummer Boy!
    11-24-09 11:49 AM
    Ok I just went through this yesturday when my Pre decided it wanted to become a Palm paperweight and did it successfully. Go to Best Buy...they give you all the rebates upfront and don't use your upgrade credit. I got a new Tour for $99 and Sprint is sending me a new Pre to replace my broken one...PLUS I still have my upgrade $150 to use later.

Hope this helps!
    11-24-09 12:04 PM
    Stop trying to work the system ... that's my suggestion.

You can try to be upfront and honest and see what they say. When i was with Sprint i was always upfront with them, and never tried to get around anything and work the system. If you treat CS like they are idiots or like you deserve something, they will not help you. I had so much free stuff, discounts, and upgrades just by asking, and not being a j-e-r-k. (sorry, cb censors the word "j-e-r-k")

Who knows, Sprint might be willing to work with you since you paid full retail.

If i was in your shoes, i would sell the pre and use that money to buy a BB on the private market so you can save your upgrade for the "essex" ...

Or, just go with the TOUR. Honestly, i have had my Tour for a month and no issues at all! Besides, when do you think you will really use the WiFi??? I was thinking the same as you ... wait for the essex, or get the Tour now. The Tour is here NOW, the essex isn't. No idea when it will be here!
    Last edited by wryun; 11-24-09 at 12:37 PM.
    11-24-09 12:29 PM
    I think you should take the 20.00, use the upgrade for the tour and drop the pre in some beer.

Douse Your Palm Pre in Beer, Get a Free iPhone - PC World
    11-24-09 12:37 PM
    Ok I just went through this yesturday when my Pre decided it wanted to become a Palm paperweight and did it successfully. Go to Best Buy...they give you all the rebates upfront and don't use your upgrade credit. I got a new Tour for $99 and Sprint is sending me a new Pre to replace my broken one...PLUS I still have my upgrade $150 to use later.

Hope this helps!
    Did you buy your Pre from Sprint? If so, this would be awesome, $100 for a Tour is worth it too me and I get to keep my upgrade! That would be awesome.

You are right though, I do not want to cheat the system, I am just very frustrated that I have been pushed around for 4 months while they worked at NOT getting my contacts back.

I really appreciate all the input you all are giving me, this really helps out a bunch, thanks!
    11-24-09 12:38 PM
    Did you buy your Pre from Sprint? If so, this would be awesome, $100 for a Tour is worth it too me and I get to keep my upgrade! That would be awesome.

You are right though, I do not want to cheat the system, I am just very frustrated that I have been pushed around for 4 months while they worked at NOT getting my contacts back.

I really appreciate all the input you all are giving me, this really helps out a bunch, thanks!
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Well after some long convo's w/ a customer service rep, I am going to be able to do a "advanced exchange program" and basically get the phone for free! I am happy they were very friendly and so was I, thanks for the advice all!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-25-09 09:58 AM
    Nice! Glad everything worked out for you. What phone did you get? Were you able to save your upgrade for the essex?
    11-25-09 11:29 AM
    Through all of this, no one asked the mot obvious question of all - how could you have lost all of your contacts? Doesn't the Palm desktop software give you the ability to back up the information from your phone? I would hope that regardless of what phone you have decided to go with, you will perform regular backups so you don't completely loose all of your valuable information again.
    11-25-09 11:53 AM
    i was just about to ask that. the software is there for a reason!!! dee dah dee!
    12-09-09 10:47 PM
    Does the Pre use Gmail, if so you should be able to get your contacts back when you hook up to it with a Tour I think. I may be totally mistaken.
    12-10-09 12:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD