The Tour is my first BlackBerry and this is my first post -

I bought Tour from Verizon earlier this week and am extremely happy with the phone after trading in my Q9. My only issue is that it seems to work well as everything but a telephone. I have the problem that a great deal of people seem to be complaining about - my voice sounds muffled to the people that I call. I have tried all of the "tricks" suggested with the exception of upgrading to the leaked OS.

My quesiton is this: How is the voice quality on the other BlackBerrys offered by Verizon? I need to have a phone that works.

Thanks in advance for the help.
    09-11-09 08:43 AM
    I've never had anyone say I sound muffled, or couldnt hear me (Except for my 3yr old but he holds the phone upside down). This shouldnt be an issue, trackballs, battery doors ok, but sound quality is something that should not.
    09-11-09 08:53 AM
    I've heard there is a maintenance release due out next week. That may fix the problem like OS5 but will be compatible with all apps too.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-11-09 08:57 AM
    one thing you can try now is to turn off the automatic volume control. that seemed to help with my tour.
    09-11-09 09:37 AM
    one thing you can try now is to turn off the automatic volume control. that seemed to help with my tour.
    I gave that a shot with no luck. The voice quality isn't even in the same ballpark as the Q9 that I came from.
    09-11-09 09:38 AM
    Check out the longer "muffled" thread but I just got mine on Monday (Labor Day) and it is NOT muffled. I'm not sure it is as clear as my 8830 was but I spoke about two paragraphs worth to my answering machine at home and at work and it was okay. I also used my original Jawbone and it was also okay (there are also complaints about bt voice issues)

so bottom line - it is a PHONE - return it for a new one.
    09-11-09 09:44 AM
    Check out the longer "muffled" thread but I just got mine on Monday (Labor Day) and it is NOT muffled. I'm not sure it is as clear as my 8830 was but I spoke about two paragraphs worth to my answering machine at home and at work and it was okay. I also used my original Jawbone and it was also okay (there are also complaints about bt voice issues)

so bottom line - it is a PHONE - return it for a new one.
    Thanks for the info. I got mine from Verizonwireless.com. Did you get yours from the store or the website?
    09-11-09 10:25 AM
    I know what you mean. I tried a lot of Tours and the sound quality was poor on all of the them. Everyone I called said they had a hard time hearing me. To answer your question, I have the 8830 and it has great sound quality, so I'm sticking with it. My wife has the 8330 and that also has good sound quality. So, I would recommend one of the two devices. Good luck.
    09-11-09 10:29 AM
    Verizon 8330 has EXCELLENT voice quality (all of the 8300 Curves, actually). My Tour does not (currently).
    09-11-09 11:39 AM

I bought Tour from Verizon earlier this week and am extremely happy with the phone after trading in my Q9. My only issue is that it seems to work well as everything but a telephone. I have the problem that a great deal of people seem to be complaining about - my voice sounds muffled to the people that I call. I have tried all of the "tricks" suggested with the exception of upgrading to the leaked OS.

My quesiton is this: How is the voice quality on the other BlackBerrys offered by Verizon? I need to have a phone that works.

Upgrade 4.7 leak or 5.0 beta muffle will be no more
    09-11-09 12:07 PM

I had the exact same problem, i had 2 (green dot) VZW Tours, one was perfect, one was not, and everyone said I sounded muffled on that one.. for those who say its a software issue, there may be some part that is.. but I believe it's mostly hardware, since I had 2 "fresh out of the box", nothing installed, and on one I sounded muffled, the other was clear. I called the same person multiple times from the same location on each phone and counted to 20.. it was clearly an issue one the 2nd one. (oh, and I tried those setting changes on the 2nd one.. it was no help)

I would recommend you keep swapping them out with Verizon until you have one that sounds clear.. I actually am on my 3rd Tour, the 2nd and 3rd I swapped within an hour of eachother, and I no longer sound muffled.. If you swap it at a store (which I would recommend) just try it for an hour, if its not good, go to another store and swap it again (to get from another batch).. just try to make sure there is a green dot on box.
    09-11-09 12:39 PM
    Thanks for the info. I got mine from Verizonwireless.com. Did you get yours from the store or the website?
    I got mine from a store this past Monday. I believe you can return online-purchased back to a store?? If not go online. There are definitely MUFFLE issues on some of these phones. But others have reported no issues. Like I said, mine seems okay.

There are reports that this may be a software issue since some folks have reported that the BETA OS's seem to fix it. Seems odd that some folks don't have issues with the original OS. Mine is the original OS.

Try holding the phone differently - do not block the mic hole with any fingers or palm.

Good luck
    09-11-09 01:36 PM
    Yesterday I received a new Mexico 5 build (Green Dot) replacement for my Canada 1 (Green Dot) "muffled phone". The voice problem appears to be solved. Additionally, my battery cover is much tighter than before.

Thanks for the help and advice.
    09-16-09 01:00 PM
    Upgrade 4.7 leak or 5.0 beta muffle will be no more
    Not true for all. I've tried them both and it did not 100% fix the muffle. Better? Yes. Completely fixed? No. And BT audio is still p*ss poor in both.
    09-16-09 01:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD