I brought home a new Tour yesterday because I managed to put my Curve in the washing machine with the sheets (am trying to dry it out, but am not too hopeful). So far, I like the Tour very much, but there are two things that are driving me nuts, so I thought I'd ask the questions here:

1. Does the trackball on the Tour light up like the Curve did? It looks like it is just plain black. I know there is no backlight for the keys so I'm guessing the trackball also isn't lit. I'll get used to it if that's the case, but I just want to make sure it isn't broken.

2. I cannot get my Tour to stop squawking every time an email comes in! I have edited the loud profile for every single email address I've got in there, but despite the fact that it is set to "silent" on each account, I still get a sound for every email received. I've tried removing the battery to no avail. I know how to edit a profile as I've done it many times, and I have no exceptions or custom profiles set. It is driving me nuts. The only solution so far is to turn the phone to "silent" but obviously I need to be able to hear phone calls when they come in.

In case someone asks, settings for each account are as follows:

Volume = silent
    LED = on
    Virbration = off
    notify me during calls = no

If I do "Try It" I hear nothing, so I'd think I'd not get notification sounds on email. Is there another place this is getting overridden that I'm missing?

The same settings are used for Level 1 messages, MMS, PIN, and SMS text. The sound I'm hearing is "Sanguine" which was what the default was, but since that tone is different than the default for the others it is definitely incoming messages triggering it. I use Peekawho, but that is also set to no sound and the tone is different, so it can't be that program triggering the audible alerts.

Help!
    08-18-09 11:46 AM
    I dunno about the email alert settings, looks like you're doing it right, but there is no LED behind the trackball, but the ring around it will glow.

Also, there IS a backlight behind the keypad. If you want to see it light up, place your thumb over the LED indicator on the top right and watch it glow.
    08-18-09 11:49 AM
    There is a backlight for keys and the trackball light is like a solar eclipse, the backlight shines around my trackball. Not sure why your backlight is not working.
    08-18-09 11:51 AM
    I dunno about the email alert settings, looks like you're doing it right, but there is no LED behind the trackball, but the ring around it will glow.

Also, there IS a backlight behind the keypad. If you want to see it light up, place your thumb over the LED indicator on the top right and watch it glow.
    Okay, I still saw nothing so I went into Options. I had the automatically dim backlight settings to off, so I changed it to on and the backlight now comes on. I even changed it back to off again and the backlight continues to function as it should. Not sure what was going on there, but hopefully it will continue to work now. Weird.

The email alerts are driving me nuts. I was hoping it was something simple I was missing. Guess I will have to take it by the store and see what they say.

Wendy
    Last edited by wbailey; 08-18-09 at 12:02 PM.
    08-18-09 11:57 AM
    tour stinks storm rules...lol
    08-18-09 12:00 PM
    In the volume settings on the upper left hand side, does setting it to "Phone Only" work?
    08-18-09 02:47 PM
    In the volume settings on the upper left hand side, does setting it to "Phone Only" work?
    Yes, it does, but I think I found the problem. The Tour (and Storm) use an upgrade to the Blackberry OS I was using on the Curve, and in this upgraded OS they handle sound profiles much differently. I did a Google search and came up with the following Crackberry article: Customize Sound Profiles on the BlackBerry Tour | CrackBerry.com.

That article helped bunches! In the old OS, you could set sound profiles individually for normal, loud, etc. but in the new OS you cannot. Loud always will give you an audible email alert, while normal will only give you an LED for emails. So when I thought I was customizing the "loud" profile I was actually setting general guidelines, but the built-in profiles decide what parts are used for each. If you want to do a different thing for a particular built-in profile, you have to set up a custom profile to use instead. I'm not sure I like the change, but I guess I'll get used to it.

I do wish the manual had a section on this. If they did, I couldn't find it. I'm really glad someone figured it out, but I don't know how they did!

Wendy
    Last edited by wbailey; 08-18-09 at 03:27 PM.
    08-18-09 03:21 PM
    I had the same issue on my Storm and now my Tour too, I have my email alerts set to off, go to "Try it" and get nothing (no sound, vide or blink or noise, just as I want it. When I get an email I get a vibe and a blinking LED. I don't think there's a way to completely shut off email alerts like I could on the pearl

(For clarity, I want to still receive the email, I just don't need to be alerted, my alerts are better served for SMS MMS FB and BBM)
    08-18-09 03:24 PM
    Stryder,

Read the article I posted the link for here:
    http://crackberry.com/customize-soun...lackberry-tour.

That explains what is happening to us both. I was really confused because the menu does not make it clear at all that you are not customizing that particular profile. You can set up a custom one. I started to do that for my "loud" profile, but may try normal for a while to see how the volume is. For a while I didn't have very loud ringtones, but with the new OS that may not be the issue it had been on the Curve.

Wendy
    08-18-09 03:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD