Ok, so last night I was trying to preorder the tour as i am eligible for an early upgrade, and was unable as i have a company discount on my plan. I decided to do the live chat and this is the solution that they presented to me: log out of my account and pre-order as a new customer, then once the phone arrives, call customer service, have it activated under my current account and number. Then, have them cancel the dummy account i had to create to make this happen. She walked me through the process, assuring me at every point that it would work, so i went through with it, making sure to save a log of the chat. Am I going to run into problems or am I fine as the rep assured me?
    07-03-09 03:24 PM
    sounds scary...wouldnt want to get stuck with 2 accounts or them wanting the tour back because you want to cancel the new account.
    07-03-09 03:27 PM
    Yeah that's the way I'm feeling now. I should still be able to call and cancel the order, right?
    07-03-09 03:34 PM
    Yeah that's the way I'm feeling now. I should still be able to call and cancel the order, right?
    no doubt. you even have 30 days to cancel the account and send the phone back after it comes even if for some reason they wont let you switch the phone over to your existing account. just seems to good to be true to me.
    07-03-09 03:47 PM
    I wouldn't go through with it. I guess I just leary after having them majorly screw up my monthly bill a couple of years ago. They charged me as roaming for about half of my calls (I was just calling as normal around where I live). Well my monthly bill was $460 instead of $50. They agreed to reverse the charges because they were bogus but they won't adjust the bill. I had to pay the full (wrong) amount and then have them credit back towards my monthly bill each month until that credit was used up. Nothing like Verizon using the customer's money and the interest off of it.
    07-03-09 03:55 PM
    ya i just got done with a live chat with a vzw rep same exact situation but he didn't mention all of a sudden the rep ended the chat and i still had alot questions i would of not gone for that but thats just me
    07-03-09 03:56 PM
    I just called customer service, and they said that it should work as the rep said, since I am eligible for an upgrade. Basically it would be as if i am adding a line on to my current account, then cancelling it within the 30 day period.
    07-03-09 04:10 PM
    I just called customer service, and they said that it should work as the rep said, since I am eligible for an upgrade. Basically it would be as if i am adding a line on to my current account, then cancelling it within the 30 day period.
    ya it seems fishy but makes sense cause you will be able to cancel under 30 days
    07-03-09 04:18 PM
    I wouldn't go through with it. I guess I just leary after having them majorly screw up my monthly bill a couple of years ago. They charged me as roaming for about half of my calls (I was just calling as normal around where I live). Well my monthly bill was $460 instead of $50. They agreed to reverse the charges because they were bogus but they won't adjust the bill. I had to pay the full (wrong) amount and then have them credit back towards my monthly bill each month until that credit was used up. Nothing like Verizon using the customer's money and the interest off of it.
    Wow thats a load of crap. Every time I have had to have them adjust my bill it was always effective on the next bill. I would have never done that and escalated the issue to executive management.
    07-03-09 05:54 PM
    That rep is crazy. If you get a new account with a discounted Tour, once you cancel that account and decide to keep the Tour, they'll charge you the difference of the price at full retail; so you'll end up paying full retail for the device anyway.

They don't let you pay a discounted price if you're going to cancel the account you got it for.
    07-03-09 06:03 PM
    That rep is crazy. If you get a new account with a discounted Tour, once you cancel that account and decide to keep the Tour, they'll charge you the difference of the price at full retail; so you'll end up paying full retail for the device anyway.

They don't let you pay a discounted price if you're going to cancel the account you got it for.
    My thoughts exactly. Normally when you cancel within the 30 day grace period, you will be required to return the device which was purchased, lest you pay the full retail price of the phone.

Good luck with that OP.
    07-03-09 06:12 PM
    You would have to send the phone back if you canceled the account.. don't do it.
    07-03-09 06:18 PM
    I agree this is a bad idea. My wife recommended this route but there are too many things that can go wrong (not the least of which is two accounts with one social security number).
    07-03-09 06:31 PM
    DON'T DO IT! I don't think the recovery will be a quick fix!
    07-03-09 06:37 PM
    not to mention having to deal with getting another phone number for the added line... ugh.. I wouldn't risk it
    07-03-09 07:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD