So last Tuesday, my previous (HTC) Windows Mobile phone was acting up (display issues) and I took it into VZW to see about an insurance replacement. Well, it turned out I was due for an upgrade so I headed back home to research a new phone.

Anyway, I travel a lot for work so I needed a smartphone for sure. I wanted something that operated smoothly, (preferably not touch screen), and would work overseas. The Tour seemed like a perfect fit and had decent reviews. So now I've been using it for almost a week and I love it.

I can't say enough positive things about this phone. And by no means am I a "Windows-Hater", but the BB OS just runs better for a phone. The Windows Mobile versions I've had in the past always seem to be sluggish or lagged. I aso used to have problems with Windows not picking up all my mailbox messages right away.

So are there any good tips/tricks I should know about the Tour? The only thing that really surprised me is the fact that it takes nearly 5 minutes to do a full boot up.

Thanks in advance!
    08-30-09 04:19 PM
    Blackberry User for 5 years now...Just get in there and play with all the menu's options...You can read on here all day but you will never really learn your phone until you just play with it...goodluck and welcome to crackberry...
    08-30-09 04:25 PM
    Welcome fellow crack(berry)head! There are some great tips, how-to's, shortcut guides, etc under the BlackBerry Help tab at the top of crackberry.com. As a brand new BB user, the stuff under that tab should give you a great overview and introduction to the BB OS. Have fun!
    08-30-09 04:26 PM
    Finally, someone has understood why the BB OS is kept so simple and clean. They've managed to make a fast OS that can multitask, handle all the functions of a cell phone, and handle all of the needs of business users everywhere. Welcome to CrackBerry.com and congratulations on selecting the Tour, my personal favorite berry.
    08-30-09 05:03 PM
    Welcome to the addiction!
    08-30-09 05:04 PM
    Welcome to crackberry and the blackberry world!

As mentioned the best thing to do is play around with it. Anything you "mess up" can be easily fixed! Try browsing through the Tour forums and the help sections. Enjoy the crack!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-30-09 05:42 PM
    One of the things I use the most is the Switch Applications function. It enables you to be in one application and switch over to another application if you want to do something like copy and past from one app to the other.

I JUST discovered that the Tour has a really great short cut for doing this. Press and hold the Menu button (to the left of the trackball) and the available open applications will be displayed until you select one or cancel it by pressing the Escape key (to the right of the trackball)

However myersau said it best, "You can read on here all day but you will never really learn your phone until you just play with it." Well said. Only the best tips & tricks are obtained by experimenting with your phone.
    Last edited by picaroon; 08-31-09 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Added information.
    08-31-09 11:50 AM
    Welcome welcome !

08-31-09 11:54 AM
    Ex windows user here also.
    Welcome
    08-31-09 12:21 PM
    Just be careful, I found myself shaking last night at a party. I left my blackberry in the car and couldn't check it.

I get the whole "crackberry" concept now.
    08-31-09 02:26 PM
    Just be careful, I found myself shaking last night at a party. I left my blackberry in the car and couldn't check it.

I get the whole "crackberry" concept now.
    Hahahahahaa good stuff! I fet the itch when I run down the street to go to the store and I leave my BB in the cradle yet I got my holster on my belt buckle. lol

08-31-09 02:32 PM
    Glad you're enjoying the switch to the BB platform. We got another convert!
    08-31-09 02:37 PM
    I guess thats why they call this site crackberry for all us who love our blackberry's
    08-31-09 02:39 PM
    First thing I tell every new BB owner I see is to turn off Dial from Homescreen option. Go into the phone app, hit menu key (key just to left of trackball), click options, general options, set dial from home screen to no.

There are some great shortcuts available from the home screen.

m - messages
    l - calendar
    b - browser
    c - contacts
    k - lock keyboard
    o - options
    t - tasks
    v - saved messages
    s - search

can't do any of these if the option is left on to dial from home screen
    08-31-09 02:45 PM
    the tour is my first BB too. had it for about 2 weeks and I'm sure i don't know it all yet.. but it sure is fun... love it!
    08-31-09 04:29 PM
    First time crackberry user here. I came from a palm and by the gods I have always thought bb's were all work and no play. The tour is a great device assuming that you got a fully functional one, and I am glad I switched.

08-31-09 04:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD