I'm wondering if this problem is a Tour problem, a microSD card problem, or an ***** operating both of them problem.

I put a 16g card in my new Tour. Ripped a bunch of CDs to my PC using Windows Media Player. They play back fine on the PC. Synchronized them to the SD card using the Windows Media portion of the BlackBerry Desktop.

Most songs play fine. However, at times the Tour will hang. It may be the first song, it may be the 21st. Sound stops. If I try to pick another song to play, it searches and eventually tells me the playlist is not available. I don't think it's finding the SD card any more. In fact, if I try to sychronize again through teh Desktop it tells me there isn't a media card. Only a battery pull seems to fix it.

Has anyone else experienced this? There's plenty of room on the card. I'm probably going to swap the card for another one, but would be interested in feedback first. Thanks!
    10-17-09 01:01 AM
    Did you format the card in the device prior to usage? Is the card of significant quality? Cheaper HC cards don't perform well in the Tour.
    10-17-09 01:10 AM
    What format did you rip the tunes into? Windows format or mp3? I think someone else had some issues with Windows format or it might be the bitrate of the tunes.

Or as suggested it could be the card.
    10-17-09 09:53 AM
    I did not format the card but it may have come formatted. If it weren't formatted, it wouldn't allow me to save music or other files to it at all, right? Most of the music plays back just fine. Am I missing something on the formatting?

I'm saving them in mp3.
    10-17-09 11:13 AM
    It also could be a defective SDcard. LOTS of problems with SD cards and BB's lately. I have a 16 that didn't do so well either.
    10-17-09 11:22 AM
    I did not format the card but it may have come formatted. If it weren't formatted, it wouldn't allow me to save music or other files to it at all, right?.
    Wrong! It's possible that an unformatted card will hold the files, but will your device read them? The card leaves the factory formatted. It's doubtful that the card was formatted in the device during the manufacturing process. The card needs to be married to the device. Format the card. If you still encounter problems, get a different (better) card.
    10-17-09 01:32 PM
    What Brand/Manufacturer, size (GB), and Class is the card?
    10-17-09 01:58 PM
    Ok, I've tried this:

-- Formatted the card. Put music back on it. Played fine, then locked up. (Can't read the card any longer.)

-- Exchanged the card for another. (It's a SanDisk 16g.)

Ran it today and it probably played through 50 or 60 songs before it locked up again.

If I were going to guess (and apparently I am) I'd guess it's either:

-- A problem with this particular Tour reading the memory card, or

-- A problem with the memory on the Tour itself.

Someone else posted a similar problem on 10/17, so it isn't just my Tour. On the other hand, I've also had the lockup two or three songs after a battery pull, so it doesn't sound like a memory thing.

Questions:

-- Is anyone using the Tour for playing a fair amount of music? If so, how's it working for you?

-- Is there a way to do a reset short of pulling the battery and waiting the week and a half it takes to reboot? If I have to live w/ this locking up thing, I'd like to avoid having to do a battery pull and waiting that long.

-- Anyone have any other ideas of what it might be or how to test it to figure it out? I like most things about the Tour, but my 30 days is up next Monday and I might turn it back in if this is going to be a permanent problem.

Thanks for any help.
    10-20-09 12:16 AM
    I can't give you any help but can confirm that I have a similar problem.

I've found that it isn't the card; its that the phone can't read the card. My wife has the same phone; i was able to switch the card back and forth to test it.

I would be interested in any solutions too.
    10-24-09 12:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD