You can type forever using MMS! I just tried and it worked! No more FULL FIELD message!! I was missing my t-mobile dash until now. The BB Tour is working for me now.
    10-30-09 07:51 PM
    guys, you're killin' me. 160 characters is the max length of 7-bit characters that ANY sms message can fit. From Wikipedia:

----------------
    "Depending on which alphabet the subscriber has configured in the handset, this leads to the maximum individual Short Message sizes of 160 7-bit characters, 140 8-bit characters, or 70 16-bit characters (including spaces). Support of the GSM 7-bit alphabet is mandatory for GSM handsets and network elements,[27] but characters in languages such as Arabic, Chinese, Korean, Japanese or Cyrillic alphabet languages (e.g. Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, etc) must be encoded using the 16-bit UTF-16 character encoding (see Unicode). Routing data and other metadata is additional to the payload size.

"Larger content (Concatenated SMS, multipart or segmented SMS or "long sms") can be sent using multiple messages, in which case each message will start with a user data header (UDH) containing segmentation information. Since UDH is inside the payload, the number of characters per segment is lower: 153 for 7-bit encoding, 133 for 8-bit encoding and 67 for 16-bit encoding. The receiving handset is then responsible for reassembling the message and presenting it to the user as one long message. While the standard theoretically permits up to 255 segments,[28] 6 to 8 segment messages are the practical maximum, and long messages are often billed as equivalent to multiple SMS messages. See Concatenated SMS for more information.
    ------------------

If you're sending SMSs with more than 160 characters, you're sending multiple messages. Most phones will break them up automatically and send them one after the other. Even my "dumb" Samsung Gleam from 2 years ago will do it. Why blackberries can't do it is beyond me.
    10-31-09 12:56 AM
    Beyond 160 FTW!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-31-09 01:25 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD