Is the max characters for sms messages increased on OS 5.0? I haven't seen any posts or anyone ask this question

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-21-09 02:34 PM
    I have the .230 beta leak and it does stop you at 160 as well.
    12-21-09 02:42 PM
    I wouldn't think so because the number of SMS characters is carrier related, not with the OS

12-21-09 02:50 PM
    I wouldn't think so because the number of SMS characters is carrier related, not with the OS

Sort of... SMS Messages are limited to 160 characters, (the guy who came up with Short Message Service decided that number) But some carriers will split a long message into mulitple texts, but each text will be limited to 160 characters. Verizon, Sprint, and other CDMA carriers will make you start your own new text.

But it really isn't an issue anymore with Threaded Messaging. If you get to the end of your 160 characters just press enter and it will send the text. You can then keep on typing until done and then send that one. It accomplishes the same thing. If you go beyond 160 from any carrier it will send multiple messages, so if you don't have unlimited texts it will still charge the same.
    Last edited by ridesno159; 12-21-09 at 03:25 PM.
    12-21-09 03:05 PM
    Sort of... SMS Messages are limited to 160 characters, (the guy who came up with Short Message Service decided that number) But some carriers will split a long message into mulitple texts, but each text will be limited to 160 characters. Verizon, Sprint, and other CDMA carriers will make you start your own new text.

But it really isn't an issue anymore with Threaded Messaging. If you get to the end of your 160 characters just press enter and it will send the text. You can then keep on typing until done and then send that one. It accomplishes the same thing. If you go beyond 160 from any carrier it will send multiple messages, so if you don't have unlimited texts it will still charge the same.

Thanks for that info homes. I'm still running 4.7.1, I don't know how to do all that OS **** I just wait on the official joint. Just wanted to know

12-21-09 03:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD