I have a Tour on Verizon. When I go to Options and then Mobile Network I see something that says "Network Technology" and Global is selected. Other options are GSM and 1XEV.

If I don't ever travel globally, could changing the selection to "1XEV" give me any performance boost or extended battery life?

In other words, does being set as "Global" have a GSM radio on, draining battery, despite the fact that I'll never use it?
    12-10-09 06:37 PM
    Hi docmphd,

It is commonly preferred by many of the Tour forum members that you set your phone to 1XEV if using a CDMA carrier such as Verizon or Sprint. It's been mentioned (not necessarily proven IMHO) that battery life is improved greatly by making the switch.

Another battery life saver is switching the GPS to E911 only instead of Location ON, unless you use the GPS on a daily basis.

Hope this helps!

I have a Tour on Verizon. When I go to Options and then Mobile Network I see something that says "Network Technology" and Global is selected. Other options are GSM and 1XEV.

If I don't ever travel globally, could changing the selection to "1XEV" give me any performance boost or extended battery life?

In other words, does being set as "Global" have a GSM radio on, draining battery, despite the fact that I'll never use it?
    12-10-09 06:54 PM
    Can the tour be used on a network that is not CDMA? I want to use the tour on a GSM network. Please let me know if this is possible.
    12-10-09 09:10 PM
    Yes - the Tour can be used in Europe and elsewhere. There is a slot for a sim card (verizon tour ships with sim card and maybe the others, too) which allows such use - there are limitations.
    12-10-09 09:37 PM
    Limitations such as?

I wanna get a BB Tour, unlock it, and use a sim card from any GSM network. Possible or not?
    12-10-09 09:42 PM
    Hi docmphd,

It is commonly preferred by many of the Tour forum members that you set your phone to 1XEV if using a CDMA carrier such as Verizon or Sprint. It's been mentioned (not necessarily proven IMHO) that battery life is improved greatly by making the switch.

Another battery life saver is switching the GPS to E911 only instead of Location ON, unless you use the GPS on a daily basis.

Hope this helps!
    Although many believe setting it to 1XEV instead of Global greatly improves battery life (including myself) ,for the past 3 days, i have set my phone to Global with SIM card inserted for test purposes, and i have not noticed any change in battery life or signal strength. In fact im trying hard not to believe it might even be better. Im not too sure about the 1XEV vs Global theory anymore. Results may vary from different phones and carriers but in my case , 0 difference !

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-11-09 07:02 PM
    Very possible.

You just need to find a way to unlock your phone. That can be done by contacting your carrier, winning a CB contest, paying a third-party for an unlock code, etc.

Limitations such as?

I wanna get a BB Tour, unlock it, and use a sim card from any GSM network. Possible or not?
    12-11-09 11:40 PM
    I've tried using both types of configurations and have noticed a considerable difference in battery life, especially when it comes to the GPS options. Constantly communicating with GPS satellites will take its toll on the battery. There may be one, but I have not noticed any difference in battery life between using GSM/UTMS and 1XEV. I prefer using the latter due to the apparent advantage in signal stability, though.
    12-12-09 12:41 AM
    Yea. That is the majority verdict for the TOUR.
    12-12-09 12:44 AM
    Signal stability is kinda driving me nuts . 1XEV or Global or Home only ......no difference,signal is very unstable.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-12-09 05:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD