I think that coming "late to the game" (est: July 15) compared with the Pre (June 6) and iPhone 3G[s] (June 19) is going to cost RIM.

As a long-time BlackBerry user, the delay in the Tour (and need for a new device ASAP) will either have me using a regular mobile phone for a month or jumping over to a new device.

Unfortunate, but I'm not buying a 2+ year old Curve.
    06-17-09 11:21 PM
    ....................nope

cdma always gets shafted, but thats what they get for falling behind gsm. the pre won't be very successful considering its exclusive to sprint only. if u wanna talk missed opportunities.. there's a huge one.

ohh and remember, rim is a brand, with many models in many countries... pre is one handset and so is iphone(yeha i know this is the 3rd iphone, but u get my point)
    Last edited by avmsam; 06-23-09 at 03:22 AM.
    06-17-09 11:23 PM
    ummm no
    06-17-09 11:39 PM
    Those that want a pre will get a pre. Those that want an iphone will get an iphone. Thinking that 3 weeks will cause many BB users to jump ship for either one of those is crazy. There are always people moving to and from different types of phones any way.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-18-09 12:05 AM
    I agree with the original poster. I am ready to buy my first smartphone, so I have looked at both blackberry and iphone. I am definitely leaning towards the Tour, but I am also intrigued by the iphone. My current dumbphone is on its last leg, and if Verizon/Rim delays the Tour much beyond 7/13, I may consider either the iphone or the Bold. I'm not crazy about leaving Verizon, but AT&T seems to have decent coverage in my area. Just my $.02.
    06-18-09 12:28 AM
    anyone leaving Verizon for At&t will be severly dissapointed in the service and coverage quality.

good luck with that.
    06-18-09 12:40 AM
    anyone leaving Verizon for At&t will be severly dissapointed in the service and coverage quality.

good luck with that.
    HaHa...Ha...Ha...yeah, He's right.

BlackBerries are on all networks of all sorts, RIM will do juuuuuust fine lol.
    06-18-09 12:47 AM
    RIM has no worries. The Tour will launch in a few weeks & anyone waiting for the release won't jump ship as yet.

06-18-09 12:52 AM
    You're making a huge mistake if you switch from Verizon to AT&T. I've had Sprint, T-mobile, AT&T, and Verizon. None compare to Verizon. Sprint was second place, then AT&T, followed by T-mobile. Remember smartphone or not, it's still a phone. You have to be able to make calls.
    06-18-09 12:54 AM
    I disagree..

if you want a pre get a pre if you want a iPhone get a iPhone..

I could have the iPhone or Pre

I will have the tour
    06-18-09 01:03 AM
    Get a Curve on Craigslist for some $150. Use it for a month. Sell it on Craigslist for the same price you bought it.

Simple.

Why don't people understand this.
    06-18-09 01:41 AM
    Remember, not everyone that will buy a Tour, or is in the market for the Tour right now, will be buying it as soon as it's released.

Most people are buying it once their contract expires, which could be in six months or more, so they will not just jump over the the iphone or pre.

Also, those are more consumer based phones anyway, the Tour is going to be more marketed to enterprises and companies for their employees to use. RIM will sell far more Tours that way than apple or palm will.

Just my .02
    06-18-09 01:44 AM
    I think that coming "late to the game" (est: July 15) compared with the Pre (June 6) and iPhone 3G[s] (June 19) is going to cost RIM.

As a long-time BlackBerry user, the delay in the Tour (and need for a new device ASAP) will either have me using a regular mobile phone for a month or jumping over to a new device.

you're pretty impatient if you think an extra few weeks will make you jump ship already lol just saying
    06-18-09 02:11 AM
    The one phone I very interested in besides the tour is the htc touch pro II. If I dont get any info about the htc touch pro II before the tour is released then Im getting the tour.
    06-18-09 02:14 AM
    Also, the general public is not waiting around like us. They have no idea about a Tour release date so they are not holding off on getting some other style of phone

06-18-09 02:17 AM
    Also, the general public is not waiting around like us. They have no idea about a Tour release date so they are not holding off on getting some other style of phone

Exactly they won't know about it till they an ad on tv even then they'll be like dur what's a tour?

06-18-09 02:18 AM
    You're making a huge mistake if you switch from Verizon to AT&T. I've had Sprint, T-mobile, AT&T, and Verizon. None compare to Verizon. Sprint was second place, then AT&T, followed by T-mobile. Remember smartphone or not, it's still a phone. You have to be able to make calls.
    Just curious, what part of the country do you live in? Where I live, it would be a huge mistake to not switch from Verizon to AT&T.
    06-18-09 03:13 AM

Not a chance. 1) those phones cater to different market segments. 2) RIM has been and continues to outsell Apple 3) RIM continues to grow market share in the smartphone segment.

How is the Tour delayed? It has finally been officially announced and there has never been an official release date. The only date it is later than was some mythical internet rumor release date, that few people really believed anyway. If you belive everything you read on the internet and make your plans based on it.........

If you need a new phone go buy a new phone. Whatever your phone issue is, it isn't the fault of RIM or any other company. The are a ton of options out there and your choice is simple, do you buy the phone you want, or the phone you need?
    Last edited by z06Rono; 06-18-09 at 06:32 AM.
    06-18-09 06:27 AM

Quite correct. Other tech blogs (pc focused) I read, basically have said that RIM is coming out with a new BB called the Tour. And that is it. Basically the only people that are rabid about this phone are geeks like us. Apple will always have its rabid fanboys, even if the stuck a bag of trash in a box and sold it. Pre and Android have hype becase they are "new, shiny and different." The reality is, the Tour (and Bold, etc) are "just another BB." Better, faster, more functionality, but no hype is needed or deserved.
    06-18-09 06:31 AM
    Quite correct. Other tech blogs (pc focused) I read, basically have said that RIM is coming out with a new BB called the Tour. And that is it. Basically the only people that are rabid about this phone are geeks like us. Apple will always have its rabid fanboys, even if the stuck a bag of trash in a box and sold it. Pre and Android have hype becase they are "new, shiny and different." The reality is, the Tour (and Bold, etc) are "just another BB." Better, faster, more functionality, but no hype is needed or deserved.
    Generally speaking, I think everyone is entitled to their opinion. I think though, it is difficult for someone who is not a BlackBerry/Smartphone user to have an opinion on the latest and greatest in Smartphone devices.

As for "hype" surrounding Pre and Android - I only even ever heard about Palm Pre in an article our National Paper did about how horrible the device was, so I'm not sure what hype you speak of. There's been no television advertising for the device either.

As for what hype is needed or deserved, why don't you leave that to people who will actually be using the devices.
    06-18-09 06:39 AM
    Generally speaking, I think everyone is entitled to their opinion. I think though, it is difficult for someone who is not a BlackBerry/Smartphone user to have an opinion on the latest and greatest in Smartphone devices.

As for "hype" surrounding Pre and Android - I only even ever heard about Palm Pre in an article our National Paper did about how horrible the device was, so I'm not sure what hype you speak of. There's been no television advertising for the device either.

As for what hype is needed or deserved, why don't you leave that to people who will actually be using the devices.
    Yeah your right, only people who put their phone type in their profile know anything about the phones and are allowed to have opinions. I bow to your expertise in the matter.
    Last edited by z06Rono; 06-18-09 at 07:02 AM.
    06-18-09 06:59 AM

Do I think that this may apply to some customers? Sure, of course. However, do I think that this will apply to the vast majority of customers? No. Iphone customers are, generally speaking, different from Blackberry customers. The Palm Pre, in my opinion, falls somewhere in the middle...maybe even a bit closer to the Iphone. All in all, I do not believe that RIM, as a manufacturer, will "lose out" or be financially hurt with the release of the Tour within 1 month of the Iphone or Pre.

Also, be advised that RIM is so successful that it is now expanding its company into the U.S. and is hiring like crazy, which is a welcomed sight in this otherwise horrible economy.
    06-18-09 07:48 AM
    Yeah your right, only people who put their phone type in their profile know anything about the phones and are allowed to have opinions. I bow to your expertise in the matter.
    I'm glad you know where your place is!
    06-18-09 08:13 AM
    To assume that 'delaying' a phone (and by delay, I'm referring to speculated dates, not ones confirmed by the company and then actually retracted and delayed) is not only ignorant but also uneducated.
    The OP fails to recognize and take into account the market share and demographic of RIM and Blackberry. As the Tour is a high-end business oriented Blackberry (like the Bold) it's main audience is business users. With that said, even had they announced the phone and had to delay it still would not impact their sales significantly (except to a small population of phone junkies like us on CB).
    On the other hand, had they announced the Storm with a launch date then had to announce a delay, there may have been a small impact to sales. This is due to the population that the phone is marketed to (the average consumer and those who want the 'coolest' and 'newest' toys).
    06-18-09 08:18 AM
    I'm glad you know where your place is!
    I like you SmashFace.

Theoretically, if smartphone makers always had the goal of releasing before their competitors, what would the result be, considering that smartphones are regularly and constantly being released? One result would be smarpthones being released in shabby OS condition, a la the Storm. A somehwat oversimplied expression would be that haste makes waste in this regard.

Given that unacceptable scenario, perhaps the OP would be satisfied if all smartphone makers released smartphones at the same time their competitors released their respective phones. Now, how realistic is that?
    06-18-09 08:25 AM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD