I just bought a BB Tour from Sprint and have upgraded my OS to 5.0

I bought the Tour primarely for the Geomapping capabilities. I need to be able to take this phone into the field, take pictures of contact points and waypoints, ralley points, etc, and then be able to download those pics onto Google Earth as well as a topo map. I have been playing around with it and have only been able to get the pics to show location with the BB Maps app which doesnt do what I need it to do.

I need to be able to brief my troops on these different points and show them on a map where the points are. We use the TOPO! program here in the office. Are there any apps that will let me use Google Earth on my BB? I have Google Maps on it now and like it a lot.

Another small, yet anoying problem, is that I cannot get my phone to vibrate or ring when I get an email. I use gmail. Custom ringers and everything else works with phone calls and text messages, but not emails.
    03-10-10 05:23 PM
    Did u post this twice?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-10-10 05:30 PM
    not on purpose. My work blocked it when I tried to send it, so I tried again, and it looks like it sent it both times.
    03-10-10 05:52 PM
    You probably need to subscribe to a service or app for this capability. I've seen it done but I forgot where.
    03-10-10 05:57 PM
    I just bought a BB Tour from Sprint and have upgraded my OS to 5.0

I bought the Tour primarely for the Geomapping capabilities. I need to be able to take this phone into the field, take pictures of contact points and waypoints, ralley points, etc, and then be able to download those pics onto Google Earth as well as a topo map. I have been playing around with it and have only been able to get the pics to show location with the BB Maps app which doesnt do what I need it to do.

I need to be able to brief my troops on these different points and show them on a map where the points are. We use the TOPO! program here in the office. Are there any apps that will let me use Google Earth on my BB? I have Google Maps on it now and like it a lot.

Another small, yet anoying problem, is that I cannot get my phone to vibrate or ring when I get an email. I use gmail. Custom ringers and everything else works with phone calls and text messages, but not emails.
    Well, gpslogger can log your track and mark your locations. If the Tour is OUTSIDE, it should be able to add a gps position to the photo (it can be found inside the jpg info). Irfanview can actually open GoogleEarth if the photo has gps positioning info and pinpoint the location. Also check out Geosetter.

Here's some screen captures from my computer (resized so resolution is not great). The picture had geo info. Googleearth as opened by Irfanview and geosetter:
    03-10-10 09:45 PM
    Go to Google Mobile..This Link might help...

As for your ring tone settings..go to Options...Ring Tone Alerts..you can test the settings...

Man have Things changed since I was in the service

Google Maps GPS is not recognised by Blackberry Tour 9630 from Bell Mobility - Google Mobile Help
    Last edited by philisophe; 03-10-10 at 09:49 PM.
    03-10-10 09:47 PM
    the military doesnt have equipment provided for you allready ?
    03-10-10 09:50 PM
    the military doesnt have equipment provided for you allready ?
    EXACTLY what I was thinking.
    03-10-10 10:35 PM
    I wouldn't think this is the arena to even get into this subject. I'm sure the military has what he needs. This should be closed.
    03-10-10 10:45 PM
    to get a ring tone for your email go to Options then click on Ringtones/Alerts
    then click on messages and then your email It will go to a new screen and will show you Ring Tone you can pick a ring tone you want.
    03-10-10 10:55 PM
    the OP doesnt sound right. Why in the world would the military allow him to use a personal device for military operations? I am retired military and have never heard of this. I now work on a base and they wont even allow personal BBs on the BES. Just doesnt pass the gut check,
    03-11-10 12:15 PM
    I'm AD and everyone in my office uses our personal ? for most stuff at work. Its pretty commonplace. As far as DoD funding "better" equipment; unless your SOCOM, you buy your own. I just wrapped up a tour at MARSOC, and the new philosophy is buy off the shelf commercial and adapt it. Its cheaper and the tech is typically better anyway. Nobody survives long when your life is in the hands of the lowest bidder. In OEF the DoD would repay any SM who purchased commercial gear and used it in the war, so we all bought our own gear from commercial sources; packs, slings, optics, GPS, you name it. When we rotated back we turned in the civvy gear, filled out the forms, and got a check. Heck, even the collapsable stocks were bought by the SM if half the cases!
    This post is right on par for the current business practices..... Unfortunately.

03-11-10 03:00 PM
    I'm AD and everyone in my office uses our personal ? for most stuff at work. Its pretty commonplace. As far as DoD funding "better" equipment; unless your SOCOM, you buy your own. I just wrapped up a tour at MARSOC, and the new philosophy is buy off the shelf commercial and adapt it. Its cheaper and the tech is typically better anyway. Nobody survives long when your life is in the hands of the lowest bidder. In OEF the DoD would repay any SM who purchased commercial gear and used it in the war, so we all bought our own gear from commercial sources; packs, slings, optics, GPS, you name it. When we rotated back we turned in the civvy gear, filled out the forms, and got a check. Heck, even the collapsable stocks were bought by the SM if half the cases!
    This post is right on par for the current business practices..... Unfortunately.

Can you receive email from your work email server?
    03-12-10 12:08 PM
    ?, so if it's not NIPR traffic were SOL. But all UNCLAS references and msgs we just send between each other. ? one is really in the office much and we don't deal with anything that isn't UNCLAS very often, so staying in the good graces of the Sec Mgr isn't hard to do; also safer. We are supposed to be getting govy ?'s soon and those will be on our network where we will get our Mil email while traveling.

03-12-10 12:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD