Ok so this is my first time really dealing with a phone that has expandable memory. I plan to purchase a 4GB microSD for my Tour but I need to know how to transfer all my data from my current one to the new one. Also I noticed that they have different types, what is the exact type I would need for my Tour? Any help would be greatly appreciated....
    09-14-09 11:00 PM
    just plug the microsd into a computer and drag everything onto the desktop, then plug the new card and drag everything you want onto it.
    09-14-09 11:14 PM
    Ok so this is my first time really dealing with a phone that has expandable memory. I plan to purchase a 4GB microSD for my Tour but I need to know how to transfer all my data from my current one to the new one. Also I noticed that they have different types, what is the exact type I would need for my Tour? Any help would be greatly appreciated....
    Tour use microSD...Put the microSD in the Tour format the card to the phone...Doing this it will create the different folders that the Tour recognize...inside a folder that read Blackberry...There you should have your pictures,music,videos,documents,etc...

good luck
    09-14-09 11:29 PM
    These guys are right.

Put memory card in old phone, format (should be in the options under memory) move all files from old phone onto it.
    Plug memory card into PC using SD adapter or flash usb adapter.
    Open the drive, move all files onto PC.
    Put Memory Card into new phone, format under memory in the menu (hit menu button while in "memory" in the options, click format).
    Plug card into PC like before, click and drag files into proper folders, in other words put your pictures in the picture folder or it wont work.

Simple.
    09-15-09 12:03 AM
    I believe there is a class or type rating for speed. Mostly speed in WRITING to the card is important. This would help in "writing" photos or videos. I'm not sure of the various ratings - others may have some info.
    09-15-09 12:03 AM
    I had a bad experience with Kingston and will never buy another one. San Disc is the go to brand IMO. I always buy from Amazon, and Ive bought a crap load of the bulk product. It just means it comes in the little case instead of the massive retail packaging.

Amazon.com: mirco sd card: Electronics

Not sure of you're familiar with how Amazon works but if you click on "sold by amazon", it won't charge tax (since they are based out of Nevada) and orders over $25.00 are free shipping. I have literately saved thousands of dollars on electronics/DVDs/Games and Blus. I LOVE Amazon.

Speeds won't matter. Just make sure you are under the read limit. Tours can take 16gbs/under.
    09-15-09 12:12 AM
    These guys are right.

Put memory card in old phone, format (should be in the options under memory) move all files from old phone onto it.
    Plug memory card into PC using SD adapter or flash usb adapter.
    Open the drive, move all files onto PC.
    Put Memory Card into new phone, format under memory in the menu (hit menu button while in "memory" in the options, click format).
    Plug card into PC like before, click and drag files into proper folders, in other words put your pictures in the picture folder or it wont work.

Simple.
    There is no old phone, just my Tour. So is there any way to possibly just plug my phone into the PC and get my files and do it that way? If not, its format old card, take it out and put in PC, drag files onto PC. Put new card in, format, put into PC, drag files onto card and put back in phone. Do I have that right?
    09-15-09 02:02 AM
    Well you can use BB desktop manager and back everything up but I tried it once and it saved the files in weird formats. I couldn't view the pics with anything other program.

I would just use the cards and plug them in.

You have the steps in order and it should be a piece of cake.
    09-15-09 03:17 AM
    Use the card-adapter and do whatever you want with your microSD.
    09-15-09 03:39 AM
    There is a sandisk 8 gb microSD on Dodtracker.com today for around $27 bucks with shipping too folks.

EjectIT.com - Random Products. Random Prices. You decide when to buy.

I've never bought anything from them so do this at your own risk. I have bought from other sides on DodTracker though.
    09-15-09 06:17 AM
    Radio Shack has sandisk 16GB microSD on sale...!

Copy and paste everything you want from microSD to laptop or desktop.

Then format microSD to the BBTour then copy and paste everything in the correct folders.

Goodluck
    09-15-09 08:19 AM
    I had a bad experience with Kingston and will never buy another one. San Disc is the go to brand IMO. I always buy from Amazon, and Ive bought a crap load of the bulk product. It just means it comes in the little case instead of the massive retail packaging.

Amazon.com: mirco sd card: Electronics

Not sure of you're familiar with how Amazon works but if you click on "sold by amazon", it won't charge tax (since they are based out of Nevada) and orders over $25.00 are free shipping. I have literately saved thousands of dollars on electronics/DVDs/Games and Blus. I LOVE Amazon.

Speeds won't matter. Just make sure you are under the read limit. Tours can take 16gbs/under.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

09-15-09 08:25 AM
    HI I HACE 2 8GB CARDS and i bought last night a 16gb from office depot on sale for 49.95 orig 99.99 i will never need another card 16 gb holds 54,00 pics, 88 hrs of video

09-15-09 08:26 AM
    I believe there is a class or type rating for speed. Mostly speed in WRITING to the card is important. This would help in "writing" photos or videos. I'm not sure of the various ratings - others may have some info.

Yes, Class 2 is bottom of the barrel but cheap if on a budget. I just bought a class 2, 4G and it plays great but it does take a bit to write and access the info. It is not THAT slow, though considering the price is 1/3 of the class 6 it is a winner. I can certainly save a boatload of music on the card. On saving photos---it is not that bad either, maybe 8 seconds.
    09-15-09 08:34 AM
    What's the difference between a microSD and a microSDHC (high capacity) and can I use them both my Tour? I got a 25 dollar Best Buy gift card so I'm trying to get one from them. They have a PNY 4gb for 14.99, anyone heard about this brand? On the Best Buy site it has mixed reviews.
    09-15-09 09:22 AM
    What's the difference between a microSD and a microSDHC (high capacity) and can I use them both my Tour? I got a 25 dollar Best Buy gift card so I'm trying to get one from them. They have a PNY 4gb for 14.99, anyone heard about this brand? On the Best Buy site it has mixed reviews.
    09-15-09 09:22 AM
    just in my own opinion i would stay clear of "off brand" memory cards as they tend to fail "under pressure"...besides that is where all your pics/music, etc... will be stored on your berry and you certainly do not want to loose any of that information...but hey thats just my 2 cents!
    09-15-09 10:23 AM
    Ok I appreciate your input. Can anyone else tell me anything?
    09-15-09 11:20 AM
    just in my own opinion i would stay clear of "off brand" memory cards as they tend to fail "under pressure"...besides that is where all your pics/music, etc... will be stored on your berry and you certainly do not want to loose any of that information...but hey thats just my 2 cents!
    Agreed! Remember... you get what you pay for. That adage has never been more true as with memory cards. Two cards that have never failed me are Sandisk and Lexar.
    09-15-09 02:39 PM
    So if I have the storm 1 and am getting the Storm2- I can just out the micro card from the S1 into a reader plug into computer- connect S2 and transfer from one card to the other? Is it pretty much that simple? Part of me thinks it would be just as easy to put the 8 gig in the S2- Do I really need 16 gigs
    11-01-09 08:46 AM
    If you copy/move files from one card to the other or just use the older card, try locating the thumbnail.dat files and delete them. They are an index type file and each OS seems to have a small tweak on their format and they should not be used with a different device.
    11-01-09 09:08 AM
    PNY is NOT offbrand anything. They are one of the larger memory card and USB thumb drive makers you will ever find. Their products are excellent I have used them, Crucial, Kensington, SanDisk, Lexar and countless others.

The odds of finding a card that is going to fail is no greater in any one of these brands than any other. They all make good reliable stuff.

Folks if you are going to make blanket statements, please make sure you have a reasonable idea what you are talking about first ok? Just because you personally haven't used something does not make it cheap and useless.
    11-01-09 09:17 AM
    [QUOTE=F2;3974326]If you copy/move files from one card to the other or just use the older card, try locating the thumbnail.dat files and delete them. They are an index type file and each OS seems to have a small tweak on their format and they should not be used with a different device.[/QUOTE

Thanks! how would I go about doing that? When I gave my husband my card out of my pearl for his curve it just worked- he had all my pictures and ring tones.
    11-01-09 09:26 AM
    Class 6 is way faster.
    11-01-09 09:27 AM
    Best way in on the computer. There will be one of those thumbnail.dat files anywhere in folders where there are mp3's or pictures or other similar media. So make sure that on your computer you show ALL FILES and extensions, including HIDDEN and SYSTEM files. After those files are deleted, they will be rebuilt by the media player so it can take a while. It may not be the problem but it does not hurt to delete them when changing phones.
    11-01-09 05:41 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD