I have a BB Tour 9630 with the latest OS installed and 81.1 MB of application memory.

The custom ring tones I've set under "Contact Alerts > Phone" work. However, the custom alerts for "Contact Alerts > Messages" don't. I'm supposed to get a sound plus a vibration for certain contacts when in "Phone Only" profile. This doesn't happen.

Any idea what's going on?
    08-23-10 02:43 PM
    Are these Contact Alerts for phone numbers?

If so, try taking the hyphens out of the phone numbers.
    08-23-10 03:22 PM
    They are contacts I added using "Add" directly from my addressbook. Not phone #'s I typed in. The phone alerts work for the same #'s that the message alerts don't.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-23-10 04:11 PM
    Pulling eye teeth ....

I guess we are playing twenty questions.

So they are email addresses? And these are email messages for which are you not getting the Custom Alerts?

Or if these are Phone Numbers in the Contact and the message are SMS, see my post above.

Also, in the Contact alert, do you have the volume set to "Active Profile"?
    08-23-10 05:01 PM
    Under "messages" I thought it referred to any type of message. What I'm expecting is for the settings to apply to incoming SMS, MMS, BB messenger, emails. So far it hasn't worked for any of them.

There are no spaces or hyphens in the addressbook entries.

The volume is set to "always" and "8". When these contacts send messages or call, I want the active profile ignored.

08-23-10 05:44 PM
    Messages refers to email, MMS, SSM, PIN, Level 1 messages but not BBM. If you look in the sound profiles, BBM is in the Instant Messages section not in the Message section.

It should work for email addresses regardless. It won't work for SMS or MMS if there are hypens (or other punctuation) in the phone numbers.

Having the volume set to 8 should not be a problem and will have the effect of the Contact Alert sounding regardless of the active profile.

I'm thinking that maybe the default "Phone Only" profile might be part of the problem.

Have you tried the Contact Alerts with a different profile active?

Also, if you have more than one contact that has the same email address in it, be sure to add all of them to the Contact Alert.
    08-23-10 06:11 PM
    Yeah, tried it. Different profiles don't make a difference.

I get the alerts correctly it seems when it is just email and SMS. As it turns out I wasn't yet getting messages like that, only BB IMs from those contacts. Is it possible to lump IMs in with messages for alert purposes?

08-25-10 06:39 AM
    Nope. BBM messages are not treated as Messages in terms of alerts.

Currently, there isn't a way to set a Contact Alert for individual contacts in BBM.
    08-25-10 11:11 AM
    Ah well. Thanks for all your help! At least I got some of what I wanted working.

08-25-10 12:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD