hello peeps,

just bought a bb tour from craigslist but when i tried activating it with verizon, they said its in the lost/stolen list. When I bought the bb, it came with the box and everything. So, my question is, can I clear the bb by showing them the proof of purchase that came with the box?

thanks!
    09-21-09 03:35 PM
    i COULD BE WRONG, but I am almost positive but once on the lost/stolen list you will not be able to activate it..sorry..next time before purchasing ask for the ESN number to be sure its a clear phone...
    09-21-09 03:38 PM
    Having the original box does not mean the phone was not stolen. It just means it was stolen with the box. No you will not be able to clear it as it is still stolen. I leave out the word lost becuse most people don't lose their phone with the box..lol. This is also assuming the box you have is for the phone you have. Try to get your money back or report the seller to the police.
    09-21-09 05:11 PM
    Having the original box does not mean the phone was not stolen. It just means it was stolen with the box. No you will not be able to clear it as it is still stolen. I leave out the word lost becuse most people don't lose their phone with the box..lol. This is also assuming the box you have is for the phone you have. Try to get your money back or report the seller to the police.
    Good advice. I recently purchased my tour off of craigslist and I called and confirmed the phone was clear nad ready to be activated before I paid the person. Most people are totally ok if you do that before you purchase.
    09-21-09 06:48 PM
    the only way to clear lost or stolen contact the owner of the fone and ask them to call the service provider to clear it up or just unlock it and use with other carrier.
    09-21-09 06:57 PM
    contact the seller, which more than likely they wont respond but let them know you are turning them into the police and that MIGHT help you a bit but a thief is a thief and will always be a thief and probably wont care
    09-21-09 07:30 PM
    yea, i think ima have to report him. I think the dude used his moms house number and I was able to get his address through google. plus he was dumb enough not to erase the phone book and all his text. Im pretty sure its his phone because in the text, ppl refer to the sellers name and has the moms number in the address book. Its kinna funny reading through his text, seems to be cheating on his sig. other.

the box matches the phone because the box also list the me id number of the phone. Thats why I asked if having the proof of purchase from the box would clear the phone.

so, im just sitting on this, weighing which option is best. suggestions?
    09-23-09 12:55 PM
    yea, i think ima have to report him. I think the dude used his moms house number and I was able to get his address through google. plus he was dumb enough not to erase the phone book and all his text. Im pretty sure its his phone because in the text, ppl refer to the sellers name and has the moms number in the address book. Its kinna funny reading through his text, seems to be cheating on his sig. other.

the box matches the phone because the box also list the me id number of the phone. Thats why I asked if having the proof of purchase from the box would clear the phone.

so, im just sitting on this, weighing which option is best. suggestions?
    So, Mr. Slimeball stole the phone (probably intercepted it from someone's mailbox) and used it until Verizon and/or the real owner figured out that it was stolen. Then, once VZW cut off the service he put it up on Craigslist to make an easy couple of hundred. And then you bought it. Pity, that.

Your best bet is still to call the cops and turn the phone over to them.
    09-23-09 01:07 PM
    Im goingto take a shot in the dark. He sold the phone to you reported it lost or stolen, and did an insurance claim. So I would also inform him of the insurance fruad(felony in most states) that he will also have to answer for when the police call.
    09-23-09 01:08 PM
    if he did insurance fraud, doesnt that mean that his current phone number should still work then?
    09-23-09 01:39 PM
    His replacement phone would work...
    09-23-09 02:11 PM
    if he did insurance fraud, doesnt that mean that his current phone number should still work then?
    Yes if his cell phone number works and he has a tour then he prob committed insurance fraud. Remember this assumes that this was his old phone and then he did the claim. Call the number and see if you get him.
    09-23-09 02:24 PM
    yea, i tried calling it, but it was disconnected already.

If you cancel your verizon plan, do they automatically release the phone or what?
    09-23-09 02:33 PM
    Wow, interesting. Let us know how it all pans out.
    09-23-09 02:34 PM

If you cancel your verizon plan, do they automatically release the phone or what?
    I could be way off the mark but I want to say there is like a 30 days holding period....
    09-23-09 02:35 PM

My understanding is that with BB's, once the phone has been reported lost/stolen, it will not work with any carrier. So no, if they reported it stolen I don't think the phone would work if the VZW plan is cancelled.
    09-23-09 02:36 PM
    Ya. He did insurance fraud. some people will actually give you the esn and let you call vzw first to verify that its still active. Then when you pay for the phone and leave the guy's house, he'll report it stolen and claim it on asurion.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-23-09 02:43 PM
    Just keep the texts, address book, etc, and notify the cops in his area. I'm sure one of the local authorities would be glad to get such an easy case.
    09-23-09 02:47 PM
    How much did u buy it for because you will probably never get to use it. CraigsList is shady buyer beware.
    09-23-09 02:50 PM
    Seriously, this dude is really dumb. I hope you bust his *** and gets caught. I doubt he will see jail time, but at least you get to smite him with your authority stick.

09-23-09 03:05 PM
    If its stolen and he resold it all the texts and such are from the person who he stole it from so they arent going to help you
    09-23-09 03:26 PM
    If its stolen and he resold it all the texts and such are from the person who he stole it from so they arent going to help you
    He just said some of the texts referred to the seller by name and the sellers mom's number was in the phonebook as well.
    09-23-09 03:44 PM
    I think the dude used his moms house number and I was able to get his address through google... Im pretty sure its his phone because in the text, ppl refer to the sellers name and has the moms number in the address book.
    whats even wierd is that he even gave me his old bb case, car charger and usb cable along with what ever came in the box.
    09-23-09 03:47 PM
    He just said some of the texts referred to the seller by name and the sellers mom's number was in the phonebook as well.
    Yeah its kind of hard for the person that sold it to deny this evidence. Unless he stole this from someone he knew and pretended to be him. That would be the only reason I could think of the reason why he would leave everything there. If that is true this person is definitely a horrible person, ruining people's lives like that. Good luck to the op, but would like to tell people you can't trust people on craigslist or ebay. People will do anything to make a buck and these are the reasons why companies put so many restrictions on us.

09-23-09 04:30 PM
    Moral of the story...Dont ever buy a BlackBerry (or any sort of tech for that matter) off of craigslist. Not worth the hassle being that you cant trust anyone anymore.
    04-02-10 05:10 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD