I was curious if you happen to lose your BB Tour or it gets stolen, what happens next to all you email accounts that are linked? How do you get it erased or lockdown etc.?
    07-20-09 05:28 PM
    That would be cool if there was a feature where you could call your phone and once it goes to voicemail, you enter a code and it locks up your phone.
    07-20-09 05:29 PM
    if u have a password enabled (which i highly suggest) you can set to have it lock up after between 15minutes to an hour of inactivity. once this happens they wont be able to use it and once they enter the password incorrectly 10x the phone will wipe itself (everything deleted). Problem solved. HTH.
    07-20-09 05:38 PM
    07-20-09 05:41 PM
    if u have a password enabled (which i highly suggest) you can set to have it lock up after between 15minutes to an hour of inactivity. once this happens they wont be able to use it and once they enter the password incorrectly 10x the phone will wipe itself (everything deleted). Problem solved. HTH.
    You can also enable content protection, and choose to encrypt your media card and your contacts. I have this set up, along with a timer on a password described above. So if my phone is stolen/lost, the data will not be readable unless they manage to guess my password in 10 tries
    07-20-09 05:46 PM
    smrtguard

10chars
    07-20-09 05:50 PM
    Are you sure about that "10x and it deletes it" thing?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-20-09 05:52 PM
    Yes. Wrong password 10 times = wiped phone

07-20-09 05:59 PM
    I have it to enable password after 30 minutes of standby. But also under options>security options>general settings there's an option for content protection. What exactly does that protect?

What happens if I were to type the wrong password on purpose just to test it? Does the phone lock and I have to call Verizon? Or do I restore with Desktop manager?
    07-20-09 06:01 PM
    This is why BlackBerry is such a success - it has built-in 3DES security if I'm correct.

You have to enable a bunch of stuff if you're a "consumer" using BIS. For those in mid-size to large companies using BES, most (if not all) of this is enabled through the pushed security policy.

Note to everyone: enable a password. For the paranoid, turn on encryption.
    07-20-09 06:11 PM
    This is why BlackBerry is such a success - it has built-in 3DES security if I'm correct.

You have to enable a bunch of stuff if you're a "consumer" using BIS. For those in mid-size to large companies using BES, most (if not all) of this is enabled through the pushed security policy.

Note to everyone: enable a password. For the paranoid, turn on encryption.
    Can you elaborate on "enable a bunch of stuff"
    07-20-09 06:16 PM
    Ya, I need to password protect my phone. Thanks for the reminder

07-20-09 06:23 PM
    These settings work well for me. I've disabled media card encryption for the time being due to the video playback issue I posted in another thread. Otherwise I usually have that encrypted. I haven't found the need for any additional security software yet.

Options -> Password

No. of Password Attempts: 5 (how many guesses do you want to give someone?)
    Security Timeout: 2 min. (how long does it take you to put down the phone and walk away?)
    Prompt on Application Install: Y
    Allow Outgoing Calls While Locked: N

Options -> Security

Content Compression: E
    Content Protection: E
    Strength: S+
    Include Contacts: No (If Y callers from your address book will not be properly identified - at least that was how the 8830 worked)

Some things to keep in mind in regard to encrypting a media card. If you only use the "password" option to encrypt your card you can use the card in another BB. However, if you use "device" or "device+password" and you lose your phone you will not be able to decrypt the information on the card as the device has changed.
    Last edited by Psychor; 07-20-09 at 06:34 PM.
    07-20-09 06:24 PM
    Content Protection: E
    Strength: S
    Include Contacts: No
    Strength - there's strong, stronger and strongest. Which S do you have
    07-20-09 06:27 PM
    Strength - there's strong, stronger and strongest. Which S do you have
    I edited my post to read "S+." This means any of the options. The higher the strength the more secure the data is. However, this comes at a cost as it requires greater processing to encrypt. In other words you might notice that the phone is less snappy. I personally go with Strong.
    Last edited by Psychor; 07-20-09 at 06:38 PM.
    07-20-09 06:31 PM
    So has anyone actually tested the security yet by typing the wrong password. I'm tempted to try but just wondering how hard would it be to restore all my data.
    07-20-09 06:34 PM
    So has anyone actually tested the security yet by typing the wrong password. I'm tempted to try but just wondering how hard would it be to restore all my data.
    What exactly do you want us to test? If you enter in the password incorrectly too many times it will ask you to type "blackberry." After that if you fail to type in your password it will attempt to wipe your phone. I say attempt because someone could always pull the battery before the wipe starts or is completed. Any yes... even if the phone is partially wiped it is possible, although difficult, to retrieve data from the phone. However, if you've encrypted it then you've really made getting to your data a pain in the ***.

Granted, for most people they don't half as much security as the BB offers. But it is one of the features that kept me from going to the Pre.
    Last edited by Psychor; 07-20-09 at 06:43 PM.
    07-20-09 06:40 PM
    I'm not asking you guys to try. I'm asking if anyone has tried before.

I just want to know what happens after the phone gets wiped out. What do I have to go through to get all my data back. Would I have to call Verizon to activate it? Or would I just need the desktop manager to do a restore?
    07-20-09 06:43 PM
    wow - awesome answers, thank you!!! it funny that i thought about this issue when i was out running
    07-20-09 06:45 PM
    Has or does anyone use the alarm and password protect the phone? When the alarm goes off do you have to enter your password before shutting it off? I use my alarm as my alarm clock and can't see myself entering my password at 5am to shut off my alarm.

07-20-09 06:45 PM
    Your phone will go back to an out of the box condition. You will have to restore your data via Desk Top Manager.

07-20-09 06:47 PM
    Has or does anyone use the alarm and password protect the phone? When the alarm goes off do you have to enter your password before shutting it off? I use my alarm as my alarm clock and can't see myself entering my password at 5am to shut off my alarm.

LOL. I was thinking the same thing so I decided to try it. It doesn't ask you for the password to snooze or cancel alarm. If you try to do anything other than those two things, it will ask you for the password.
    07-20-09 06:47 PM
    anyone just set the password and not worry about the security/content protection stuff?

it seems like when content protection is enabled or changed, it takes a few minutes when you lock the phone - it's becoming a PITA!
    07-20-09 07:18 PM
    anyone just set the password and not worry about the security/content protection stuff?

it seems like when content protection is enabled or changed, it takes a few minutes when you lock the phone - it's becoming a PITA!
    I just noticed it taking for ever. I'm disabling the content protection. I can't be staring at my tour for minutes waiting to make a call.
    07-20-09 08:34 PM
    Dumbass newbie question. Say, you forget your password. How can you regain control over your BB? Is a wipe the only option?
    07-20-09 08:41 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD