Hi,

I am a "die hard" windows mobile cell phone user. I have started looking into BB's due to the "never ending" crashing of my WM devices (latest is the Palm Treo Pro). Its my work phone so call quality & email is important. I have an exchange account & in the Windows mobile world, you can only reply via exchange with one email address.

So the multiple emails with a BB is nice. I also do prefer a touch screen but I could get used to the track ball (and the 2 days of battery life I hear BB's get).

My big concern is what I remember as the lousy WAP browser. I did play with a friends Bold & while it looks a little better, it still isnt a great browser.

So, is there Opera or other browser alternatives for the Tour? How well do they work?

Thanks,
    Rich
    10-21-09 10:11 PM
    Opera is an option, and it's what I use.
    10-21-09 10:13 PM
    bolt is a good browser as well, but i prefer the native browser.
    10-21-09 10:16 PM
    Another vote for Bolt here
    10-21-09 10:19 PM
    Ill take the bb browser over the others all though there not bad and best thing is there free.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-21-09 10:21 PM
    As much as I love my Tour, in my opinion no browsers on BlackBerry is as good as Opera Mobile on Windows Mobile...Opera Mini and Bolt on BB are even worse than PIE6 on Windows Mobile... Opera Mobile is about the only thing I miss after upgrading to the Tour from a HTC Touch Diamond...
    10-21-09 10:54 PM
    I've tried other browsers, and I still stick with the native BB browser. However....I'd LOVE a Mozilla version!
    10-21-09 10:58 PM
    I use 3 different browsers depending on what I need to accomplish. The NEW Bolt and Opera Mobile are much better than the previous versions, nowhere near as bad as people say. I use the native BB Browser for downloading any apps-In fact you have no choice cause you can't do it with Bolt or Opera Mini. Opera Mini became the default for SMS links and some email links upon install. Some people hate this-I love it. It makes links from Tweets a joy to read. Now Tweets from Wired, USA Today and others look like they are on a PC. I use Bolt for everything else, I reserved a DVD from Red Box online earlier today via the Bolt browser. The only issue I have is that I can't figure out how to copy and paste.

10-22-09 01:16 AM
    You need to realize that opera mobile and opera mini are 2 different browsers.
    Opera mobile is comparable to safari on the iphone, and opera mini just sucks

10-22-09 10:27 AM
    opera mini 5 by far is my favorite its got tabbed browsing but its still in beta but id also have to agree bolt is a great browser 2 i just love the tabbed browsing in opera mini 5 beta though. Also Reasearch in Motion the company that makes blackberry currently bought torch mobile and a webkit browser is in the works.
    Last edited by njbianco; 10-22-09 at 10:33 AM.
    10-22-09 10:29 AM
    I tried Bolt and didn't much care for it so I am back to the native BB browser. I may try Opera at some point, but the BB seems to work fine for everything I do.
    10-22-09 10:49 AM
    You need to realize that opera mobile and opera mini are 2 different browsers.
    Opera mobile is comparable to safari on the iphone, and opera mini just sucks

Yes I realize that,I used Opera Mobile years ago on my old WM device. Opera Mini 5 does not suck, why don't you actually try it out before bashing it? It gives MOST websites the look and feel of a browser on a PC/MAC. Both Opera and Bolt and are both still betas, knowing that helps.

10-22-09 10:49 AM
    I DO have it on my Tour, but I never use it, I prefer BlackBerry Browser over any 3rd party browsers
    10-22-09 11:46 AM
    BB browser sucks bad if you use it for html site with a lot of pictures. It takes forever load the site. How do you people have the patient? Its only good for DL aps/pictures,etc.

Bolt is the best for dsiplaying picture heavy sites accurately and is pretty quick.

Opera mini is the best for moble sites and message forum and is the fastest browser.

Last edited by noized77; 10-22-09 at 11:51 AM.
    10-22-09 11:47 AM
    I've tried other browsers and like others, I prefer the native BB browser. I don't think it is as bad as many people make it out to be.
    10-22-09 01:26 PM
    Shouldn't Fennec be making its way toward BlackBerries soon?
    10-22-09 04:47 PM
    I totally agree
    10-22-09 05:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD