Alright, I think I'm going crazy here.

I used to own beyond160, it stopped working when I went to OS5.419, anyway...

Yesterday, Monday, I was typing an SMS, I dropped by phone, but when I picked it up I noticed something different. Underneath the name in the SMS where it shows the characters left in an SMS, it said "160 (1/6)". I was able to type, the 160 would count down, and once I passed the 160 mark it said "160 (2/6)". I opened new SMS threads, exited in and out of messages, was able to span texts.

This support for spanning texts came out of nowhere, but I look at my phone now, and it's gone! back to 160 and saying Field Full after I finish typing.

Am I crazy?

EDIT: After researching, it looks like other people have had it mysteriously pop up as well with OS4 on Verizon Tour. Weird...
    Verizon Tour 160+ charachter text msg---picture proof - BlackBerryForums.com : Your Number One BlackBerry Community
    Last edited by jrlcopy; 06-01-10 at 10:25 PM.
    06-01-10 10:15 PM
    That's how it works and always has on AT&T.

I must confess though I a very confused by why anyone would send a text message
    that long. SMS = SHORT Message Service.

This is part of the reason I refuse to text and think it is the most asinine means
    of "communication" ever devised.
    06-01-10 10:39 PM

This is part of the reason I refuse to text and think it is the most asinine means
    Pretty strong feelings lmao.. I'd say its one of the most convenient ways of communication.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-01-10 11:40 PM
    Alright, I think I'm going crazy here.

I used to own beyond160, it stopped working when I went to OS5.419, anyway...

Yesterday, Monday, I was typing an SMS, I dropped by phone, but when I picked it up I noticed something different. Underneath the name in the SMS where it shows the characters left in an SMS, it said "160 (1/6)". I was able to type, the 160 would count down, and once I passed the 160 mark it said "160 (2/6)". I opened new SMS threads, exited in and out of messages, was able to span texts.

This support for spanning texts came out of nowhere, but I look at my phone now, and it's gone! back to 160 and saying Field Full after I finish typing.

Am I crazy?

EDIT: After researching, it looks like other people have had it mysteriously pop up as well with OS4 on Verizon Tour. Weird...
    Verizon Tour 160+ charachter text msg---picture proof - BlackBerryForums.com : Your Number One BlackBerry Community
    What I wouldn't give for an answer to this. Its so ridiculous that this isn't solved in software. GSM blackberries have done it for awhile. RI. DONK.

Good post!

06-02-10 02:17 AM
    Or you could use crunchsms and just be done with the mystery. much better than beyond 160 (which is nowhere near worth the cost of the app given all the bugs that it has) and it is free.
    06-02-10 07:12 AM

LOL...you're probably like one of those people that I wish had text me cause I don't really feel like talking to you. JK....But seriously. Text is great for when you just want to get your point across and you're not in the mood for the extra small talk that comes with a phone conversation.

Text Conversation:
    Meet me @ 6.
    Reply: Ok

Phone conversation:
    Hey...whats up? We're meeting up tonight at 6 right?
    Yeah...who you going with?...
    Just me...
    Ok...Think they'll have good food?
    I hope so
    This meeting better be productive....
    It better be. I have better things i could be doing
    Yeah me too.
    YADA YADA YADA!!!
    06-02-10 08:18 AM
    AT&T uses a GSM network. OP is a Verizon user, which uses CDMA. CDMA doesn't support going beyond 160 characters.

Since the Tour has both CDMA and GSM components, I wonder if somehow the Tour was momentarily using the GSM radio or something.
    06-03-10 08:47 AM
    Or you could use crunchsms and just be done with the mystery. much better than beyond 160 (which is nowhere near worth the cost of the app given all the bugs that it has) and it is free.
    +1 CrunchSMS is awesome...it looks kind of like a Iphone SMS platform. I just wish it supported MMS and was it a little bit quicker when scrolling up and down.
    06-03-10 06:23 PM
    ....for the extra small talk that comes with a phone conversation.

Phone conversation:
    Hey...whats up? We're meeting up tonight at 6 right?
    Yeah...who you going with?...
    Just me...
    Ok...Think they'll have good food?
    I hope so
    This meeting better be productive....
    It better be. I have better things i could be doing
    Yeah me too.
    YADA YADA YADA!!!
    In my world it goes this way: Phone conversation:

Me: Hey, running late I'll be there at 6
    Reply: See you then
    Me: Bye

Show me the "extra conversation"

AT&T uses a GSM network.
    Fully aware of that which is why I pointed out how it works on a
    non-CDMA carrier.
    06-03-10 11:47 PM
    AT&T uses a GSM network. OP is a Verizon user, which uses CDMA. CDMA doesn't support going beyond 160 characters.

Since the Tour has both CDMA and GSM components, I wonder if somehow the Tour was momentarily using the GSM radio or something.
    CDMA supports going beyond 160 characters, just for some unknown reason NOT on blackberrys? Yet all other phones its not an issue. Can anyone tell me why?
    06-03-10 11:55 PM
    If you have that much to say, write an email. Or god forbid, call them.
    06-04-10 08:34 AM

Of course other CDMA phones support long SMS messages! I've got an android (SO much better than the Blackberry every will be! Yes guys, the grass is greener!), and the Droid can do well beyond 160 chars in one txt.

The best solution, I think, is to lose the bb and go with something else!
    06-04-10 09:24 AM
    Personally, this is what I do to solve the 160 text problem:
    I use the crunchsms app, but when I know I might go over 160 (since the app doesn't tell you, and if you do go over, Verizon won't send the extra text), I just switch back to the native SMS app, and just type my message, and when it gets to 160, just hit enter, and keep typing so I'm sure that my whole text will get received...if this makes sense.

06-04-10 11:45 AM
    Personally, this is what I do to solve the 160 text problem:
    I use the crunchsms app, but when I know I might go over 160 (since the app doesn't tell you, and if you do go over, Verizon won't send the
    extra text), I just switch back to the native SMS app, and just type my message, and when it gets to 160, just hit enter, and keep typing so I'm sure that my whole text will get received...if this makes sense.

Crunchsms works fine for me on Verizon sending it from the app, the texts even come in order, I tested it with my gfs phone.

06-09-10 05:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD