I know that on every other blackberry you can't send an sms past 160 characters, and I thought the same thing with this one, until the other night I was texting a friend and saw a "1/7" at the top, by the 160 that counts down as you type...now I know on my old LG phone there was a 1/7 that would increase after each 160 I typed, so I typed a bunch of random letters and, sure enough, the 160 restarted and the 1/7 turned to 2/7. Unfortunately, I can't recreate this...every other text I've tried sending is limited to 160. When I try forwarding that one I DID get to send, it says "message shortened by 753 characters" and cuts it off at 160.

I was high as a kite when i wrote that sms, so I don't remember if I did anything crazy to get to that point. At first I thought I might have dreamed it, but I have a 1000ish character sms in my messages, so I know it must be possible somehow...so does anyone have any idea what I have to do to send more long texts? That 160 character limit is really the only major drawback I've seen since switching to a blackberry, so it'd be pretty awesome if there was some way to fix that on the tour.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-21-09 03:53 PM
    hmm im not sure, ill look into it though, im getting the tour tomorrow, ill be sure to look into it and get back
    07-21-09 03:55 PM
    160 is the limit on this BB and all BB. You must of been really high last night and just sent multiple messages and don't remember it.

07-21-09 04:16 PM
    it happens. no one knows why, but every once and a while it will allow you to send up to a 7 page sms. No one can duplicate it when they want to, but randomly it happens
    07-21-09 04:19 PM
    I was always told u can only send 160+ to verizon customers
    07-21-09 04:23 PM
    FWITIW, my SMS screen shows 1/6, so 160 chars is definitely not the limit of SMS on these things............
    07-21-09 04:40 PM
    I was always told u can only send 160+ to verizon customers
    but there have been programs that alllow you to keep typing and it will send the SMS in parts of 160 characters
    07-21-09 04:56 PM
    That 160 character limit is really the only major drawback I've seen since switching to a blackberry, so it'd be pretty awesome if there was some way to fix that on the tour.
    This is the exact reason why I didn't pick up a Tour on release day.

On most Verizon non-smart phones, you are able to send SMS messages greater than 160 characters thanks to something called EMS. Enhanced Messaging Service is an adaptation of the Short Message Service that allows users to send and receive small sounds, little images, 160+ characters, as well as a combination of simple media to and from EMS-compliant handsets. Please do not confuse EMS with MMS. If a message is sent to a phone that is not EMS-capable, the recipient will still receive the text portion of the message, and also the FIRST 160 characters only. The LG Dare, Voyager, enV, enV2, enV3, EnV Touch, etc etc etc are all EMS capable. Sadly, the brand new Tour is not EMS enabled.
    07-21-09 05:08 PM
    This is the exact reason why I didn't pick up a Tour on release day.
    the pros outshine 1 con...you're the one that is missing out
    07-21-09 05:25 PM
    I'm using an unlocked Verizon Tour on Fido and my SMS says 160 characters, 1/6....I had a Pearl before and was able to send beyond 160 characters too. In another thread someone mentioned the 160 limit is for CDMA carriers.
    07-21-09 05:28 PM
    wait a minute here... thats why i just came on. anytime i attempt to write a character over the 160 limit in each text my tour (verizon with the latest firmware) reads "field limit exceeded"

is this going on for everyone? i just updated BBM to 5.0 and feel that may have caused it but i really wouldnt know for sure because i had bought the phone yesterday.

now i came from an unlocked pearl 8100 and curve 8310 both running os 4.5 and both of which would allow me to type to my hearts content and it would simply separate the texts as more than one and send them out one after the other (which is what i assume the tour should be doing).

what is going on!?
    07-21-09 05:29 PM
    the pros outshine 1 con...you're the one that is missing out
    I know you are probably right . Though I use my phone literally every other minute so it would be a major setback if I switched to something that I found fault in.

What keeps a Tour out of my hands are:

1) No EMS
    2) Very common issues with trackball
    3) Very common issues with battery door
    4) Bad experience using store's display Tour
    5) Otterbox hasn't released their cases yet
    6) No themes yet

I know it's only a matter of time before I cave though .
    Last edited by mixtape86; 07-21-09 at 05:35 PM. Reason: added number 6
    07-21-09 05:29 PM
    The limit is 160 for cdma carriers. If you are on GSM, it will let you keep typing (up to six messages) and send it all as one message. Theres a program called Beyond 160 for CDMA, its supposed to take that limit away. Should be in AppWorld
    07-21-09 05:30 PM
    It's sad that CDMA users have to buy software to do something GSM users can do for free . I need to point fingers so I'm going to blame Verizon for this one. Obviously it's not a hardware issue if Beyond160 can alter the software to allow it. I just don't understand why this is restricted out of the box.
    07-21-09 05:33 PM
    It's sad that CDMA users have to buy software to do something GSM users can do for free . I need to point fingers so I'm going to blame Verizon for this one. Obviously it's not a hardware issue if Beyond160 can alter the software to allow it. I just don't understand why this is restricted out of the box.
    unfortuntaely, I don't think there is any program that can even do that for cdma users...please correct me if im wrong
    07-21-09 06:19 PM
    Why not just send an MMS? 1000 character limit...
    07-21-09 06:58 PM
    unfortuntaely, I don't think there is any program that can even do that for cdma users...please correct me if im wrong

As was pointed out, beyond160 will do it... but people have had issues with it and the Tour.
    07-21-09 06:59 PM
    I know that on every other blackberry you can't send an sms past 160 characters, and I thought the same thing with this one, until the other night I was texting a friend and saw a "1/7" at the top, by the 160 that counts down as you type...now I know on my old LG phone there was a 1/7 that would increase after each 160 I typed, so I typed a bunch of random letters and, sure enough, the 160 restarted and the 1/7 turned to 2/7. Unfortunately, I can't recreate this...every other text I've tried sending is limited to 160. When I try forwarding that one I DID get to send, it says "message shortened by 753 characters" and cuts it off at 160.

I was high as a kite when i wrote that sms, so I don't remember if I did anything crazy to get to that point. At first I thought I might have dreamed it, but I have a 1000ish character sms in my messages, so I know it must be possible somehow...so does anyone have any idea what I have to do to send more long texts? That 160 character limit is really the only major drawback I've seen since switching to a blackberry, so it'd be pretty awesome if there was some way to fix that on the tour.

Why not just send an MMS? 1000 character limit...

I waited for that one. Once again SMS stands for Short Message Service. It is not intended for lengthy messages...
    07-21-09 07:07 PM
    [/COLOR]

I waited for that one. Once again SMS stands for Short Message Service. It is not intended for lengthy messages...
    Not only that, its annoying as **** when you get 50 text messages from someone and they're all out of order...
    07-21-09 07:11 PM
    It's also 2009 and they probably never thought texting would be as popular as it got. One would think carriers would find a way to support EMS (Enhanced messaging ) all across the board. I've tried using mms the problem with that is it takes too long for the other person receiving it. Its as if they are receiving picture mail every time. My old LG gave me 6 pages of 160 character messages that I could send to other verizon customers so to the above this is not a verizon issue.
    Plus having unlimited texting is common. However, not everyone has unlimited picture messaging (MMS). MMS and SMS are two different sports. I believe MMS uses data and SMS sends via voice channel.
    07-21-09 07:15 PM
    If you have something to say that is longer than 160 characters, send an MMS, or an email, or just simply call the person... Its really not that complicated. Besides, I thought most unlimited text messaging plans included MMS anyway?
    07-21-09 07:16 PM
    If you have something to say that is longer than 160 characters, send an MMS, or an email, or just simply call the person... Its really not that complicated. Besides, I thought most unlimited text messaging plans included MMS anyway?
    I guess I'm preaching to the wrong crowed, but most non-smart phones cannot handle emails, MMS is delayed and not included in many carrier's unlimited messaging plan (luckily Verizon does), and calling someone uses minutes (which are not unlimited) and the opportunity may not always present itself to call (ie: a library).

All I know is that 90% of Verizon's phones handle EMS. It just shocks me that a $500 phone cannot incorporate the simpler common features. Don't get me wrong, BB's are beyond amazing in almost every other aspect. However it's embarrassing that my young brother's LG enV3 has a feature that the Tour does not .
    07-21-09 07:28 PM
    Just send the message a MMS no limit

07-21-09 07:50 PM
    I guess I'm preaching to the wrong crowed, but most non-smart phones cannot handle emails, MMS is delayed and not included in many carrier's unlimited messaging plan (luckily Verizon does), and calling someone uses minutes (which are not unlimited) and the opportunity may not always present itself to call (ie: a library).

All I know is that 90% of Verizon's phones handle EMS. It just shocks me that a $500 phone cannot incorporate the simpler common features. Don't get me wrong, BB's are beyond amazing in almost every other aspect. However it's embarrassing that my young brother's LG enV3 has a feature that the Tour does not .

Every cell carrier has an email address that you can use. Its usually (subscribernumber)@carrier.com or something of the like. I can't remember the exact list but you can send an email that is text only to anyone on any carrier. I have done this since I had a nokia 3390 on T-Mobile for christ's sake...
    07-21-09 09:52 PM
    my SMS screen shows 1/6.. I won't consider buying a tour then

Thx for the info
    07-21-09 09:57 PM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD