just read that this OS seems stable. Searched and found unavailable links and versions of this I do not understand. I have Verizon-which version of .643 to use and where can I get it downloaded? Appreciated, thanks.
    06-02-10 07:41 AM
    I couldn't find a functioning link either. I did a search and found a link from last month posted by moderator Yester18. It's here:

BlackberryOS Download Center - RIM BlackBerry operating Software download center

I've not upgraded to any of the official VZW OSs, too many issues that I don't have now. But would like to improve, so am psyching myself up for this one since .643 gets rave reviews. Hope it goes OK, I have to travel for two weeks soon and don't want a bunged up berry.
    06-06-10 03:04 PM
    just read that this OS seems stable. Searched and found unavailable links and versions of this I do not understand. I have Verizon-which version of .643 to use and where can I get it downloaded? Appreciated, thanks.
    There is no version specifically for Verizon. This is a leak. You can run it with your Verizon Tour though (I am). I don't have a current link for downloading it though. Once you have downloaded it though you can follow these instructions. Make sure you delete vendor.xml as mentioned in my instructions, as otherwise it won't work.

Here are the steps I recommend taking to upgrade/downgrade your BB's OS.

Open desktop manager and make a backup of your bb (this won't back up your 3rd party apps, use BBSAK for that, plug that into the forum search if you're not familiar with it). Close Desktop Manager when you're done making your backups as you won't need it again until later.

Go to add/remove programs and uninstall all the OS's on the computer. (If you haven't ever installed an OS on the computer, this is unnecessary.) Download and install the OS you want to downgrade/upgrade to. After making sure you have made your backups as mentioned above, you are now ready to use jl_cmder or BBSAK to wipe your device. When the device has been wiped, you will see a white screen with a 507 reload software error. Do not panic, as this is what is supposed to happen.

Navigate to c:/program files/common files/research in motion/apploader and delete "vendor.xml" if the file you downloaded is for a different carrier than the one you're on. Now that you have deleted "vendor.xml" you can click "loader.exe" which will proceed to load the OS you have chosen onto your device.

When the apploader is finished, your new OS should be loaded. You will now have to restore the data/apps you backed up earlier using DM and BBSAK respectively.

Enjoy your new OS.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-06-10 03:18 PM
    G'DAy, I just did all this yesterday. As a newby, I spent way too many hours because it did not go well.

Advise: 1)You could well lose some data and settings in your 3rd party apps. I did. Seems it does not come back with the restore. Might depend on the app.

2) BBSAK did not restore for me. Panic set in since I am new at this. I did follow instructions on BlackberryOS.com and used desktop Manager to get apps backed up. I emailed people there who were so quick and helpful. Read the forums, "software...etc " today. Really great help. I hope they are not Crackberry competitors! Room for both I guess. I got .643 there too!

I did get my apps and all, 643 seems fine, but I have to set up things like CardKaller again,,,,and I lost my 17 Grand in Texas Holdum 2!!! Can you imagine how long it took to get that high!! lol. Virtually for ever!

So, be aware. it may not go smoothly. Write down anything that you want to remember!

No one has told me why BBSAK 1.7 failed me but MEPASCAL at Blackberryos.com wrote a concise step by step using DM.

Good luck!
    Last edited by indigodave; 06-06-10 at 03:55 PM.
    06-06-10 03:49 PM
    A quick thought re my earlier post. Sandman, should I have restored DM first and then BBSAK? Would a reverse order throw it off?
    06-06-10 03:51 PM
    Order shouldn't matter I don't think but I'm not totally sure, as I don't use paid 3rd party apps and just re-download the apps I want vs bothering with backing them up. I'm surprised you lost apps or data though. Were they 3rd party apps or stuff that came on the BB?

Oh, wait I reread what things you lost. I don't know there's a way to retain some of your settings like that even when backing up.

DM won't back up 3rd party apps, but might be able to back up the "native" BB apps. I guess I don't understand how you say you used DM to back up apps. I've never heard of it handling 3rd party stuff.

06-06-10 04:06 PM
    Here's how to backup 3rd party apps using DM (older version of DM but still same steps for newer version):
    How do I backup my Third Party Applications on my BB? - BlackBerryFAQ

Download and install the OS you want to downgrade/upgrade to. After making sure you have made your backups as mentioned above, you are now ready to use jl_cmder or BBSAK to wipe your device. When the device has been wiped, you will see a white screen with a 507 reload software error. Do not panic, as this is what is supposed to happen.
    Just want to verify I have that part right:
    You install the new OS to the Tour.
    Then wipe with BBSAK
    delete vendor.xml
    use app loader.exe to get new OS on Tour

What confuses me is this: if I install the OS and then wipe the Tour, am I not also wiping off the new OS I just installed?

Just wanted to make sure I'm clear on that (this is my first time).
    06-06-10 04:27 PM
    G'DAy, I just did all this yesterday. As a newby, I spent way too many hours because it did not go well.

Advise: 1)You could well lose some data and settings in your 3rd party apps. I did. Seems it does not come back with the restore. Might depend on the app.

2) BBSAK did not restore for me. Panic set in since I am new at this. I did follow instructions on BlackberryOS.com and used desktop Manager to get apps backed up. I emailed people there who were so quick and helpful. Read the forums, "software...etc " today. Really great help. I hope they are not Crackberry competitors! Room for both I guess. I got .643 there too!

I did get my apps and all, 643 seems fine, but I have to set up things like CardKaller again,,,,and I lost my 17 Grand in Texas Holdum 2!!! Can you imagine how long it took to get that high!! lol. Virtually for ever!

So, be aware. it may not go smoothly. Write down anything that you want to remember!

No one has told me why BBSAK 1.7 failed me but MEPASCAL at Blackberryos.com wrote a concise step by step using DM.

Good luck!
    I'm wondering if steps below would be a workaround for BBSAK failure to reload 3rd party backed up apps?

Go into DM.
    Go to Application Loader.
    Let it go through it's "read..." processes.
    Below the white screen with list of apps click on "Browse".
    Navigate to the folder that BBSAK is installed in on your PC.
    Double-click BBSAK folder.
    Inside you'll see a folder labeled "Backups".
    Double-click it to open.
    You'll see "backup.alx".
    Click on that so that DM loads it.
    Hopefully DM will then reload all apps backed up via BBSAK
    *Note, I have not tried this myself, I just got past the backup phase (I double backed up using BBSAK + DM), and am now ready to install new OS.
    06-06-10 04:38 PM
    Here's how to backup 3rd party apps using DM (older version of DM but still same steps for newer version):
    How do I backup my Third Party Applications on my BB? - BlackBerryFAQ

Just want to verify I have that part right:
    You install the new OS to the Tour.
    Then wipe with BBSAK
    delete vendor.xml
    use app loader.exe to get new OS on Tour

What confuses me is this: if I install the OS and then wipe the Tour, am I not also wiping off the new OS I just installed?

Just wanted to make sure I'm clear on that (this is my first time).
    Download and install the OS file to your computer (PC, no clue on a mac). Then you can wipe your device, delete vendor.xml from the location I mentioned on your PC, and then run apploader from the PC. It will install it to your BB at that point.

06-06-10 04:48 PM
    Thanks, appreciate the fast reply & verification!
    (Just found Crucial's version, too. Which is the same as yours but his has screenshots for anyone needing them.) http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/ho...system-208714/

Here goes! *fingers crossed*
    06-06-10 04:52 PM
    I did the update to .643 this morning, following the_sandman's instrux above and, though they are mostly excellent, I and others have found that BBSAK is great at backing up the 3rd party apps, but absolutely worthless in restoring them.

Go through all of the backup and upgrade steps sandman provided...until it comes time to restore your data. Then you might want to:

--Restore your BB data via Desktop Manager, then...

--Go back and run the same Loader.exe file you used to install the new OS, but when prompted, navigate to the Backups folder inside the C://Program Files/BBSAK folder and select "backup.alx" and restore from there.

I could not select that "backup.alx" file from within Desktop Manager as suggested...it would not work. But it DID work from within Loader.exe.

I've been running .643 since this morning, and after that slight restoring debacle, it's been smooooooooth sailing. So far everything seems more spry, less wonky, and the click issue in Browser is gone. This puppy rocks, so far.

Only sucky thing is boot up takes forever now, compared to .519, but I'll take the trade off. Also, when you do use Desktop Manager, it'll keep prompting you to update Verizon PTT. Every single time.
    06-10-10 02:50 PM
    I may put together a short how-to with PC screen shots. I kind of flew blind thru my first wipe and reload, and there's definitely comfort in a picture oriented instruction guide.
    Last edited by plkcable; 06-10-10 at 03:34 PM. Reason: typos
    06-10-10 03:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD