My carrier (US Cellular) does not have EVDO in my area and they don't plan on getting it anytime soon. However, I would rather be paying $25/mo at my carrier now rather than going to another carrier spending $60-70+/mo.

I plan on getting the Tour when they get it in very soon and was wondering what limitations will I have with 1X speeds? Obviously browsing speeds will be slower, but I'm not too worried about that. I would mainly be using Mail/BBM/AIM/Browsing, and some other apps I might discover. I was just wondering what type of apps (specifically or in general) can I not use due to 1X? I do not plan on using GPS and I am quite sure applications like Pandora that require streaming won't work well on a 60Kbps to 100Kbps (1X) signal.

Any help would be great, thanks.
    10-17-09 10:30 PM
    as long as you understand the speed restrictions with 1X speeds, i think you could be very happy with the functionality of the 9630.

any application should still work fine, but just take a little longer to load.
    10-17-09 11:00 PM
    The only place you'll really notice a difference is in streaming apps, like Pandora. It still works, but you may experience occasional pauses while the buffer catches up. It's not too bad though. Video streaming is a different story. Don't even try it, you'll just get frustrated!
    10-18-09 09:34 AM
    1X seems to also take a bigger toll on the battery doing data as well.
    10-18-09 01:48 PM
    1X seems to also take a bigger toll on the battery doing data as well.
    Oh, really? I wasn't aware of that...

How much more does it drain by being on 1X if my carrier only goes off 1X here?
    10-19-09 12:18 AM
    Oh, really? I wasn't aware of that...

How much more does it drain by being on 1X if my carrier only goes off 1X here?
    All I know is that whenever my Tour is consistently in a 1X pocket, it seems to suck more juice trying to maintain the signal or use it for anything in general.
    10-19-09 01:52 PM
    All I know is that whenever my Tour is consistently in a 1X pocket, it seems to suck more juice trying to maintain the signal or use it for anything in general.
    Yeah, but I wonder how much of that is from your phone constantly trying to go from XEV to xev. Sort of like leaving your phone on during a flight, and getting to your destination and realizing that your battery has drained way down because it was fighting to find a signal.

If this guy only has 1xev available, who knows? It might not kill the battery (other than of course if he's downloading or sending something, it will take longer and I guess could use up the battery more).
    10-19-09 03:49 PM
    i changed from Verizon to Sprint a few weeks ago. sprint doesnt have 3g in my area. honestly, Sprint's 1X is just as fast as the 3G speeds i was getting with Verizon. not sure which other carrier youre talking about. the phone is still great without 3G. that was my biggest concern and im more than pleased at the speeds without 3G coverage. and the battey life is fine. If you're in an area without 3G coverage, the phone will not search for 3G. Therefore your battery will not drain because the phone isn't searching to find a 3G connection

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by jimmyknuckles32; 10-19-09 at 04:24 PM.
    10-19-09 04:12 PM
    kinda off subject question, but applies to this thread...what do you mean by EVDO...the upper portion of my tour reads 1XEV, not EVDO...?

Someone explain maybe?
    10-19-09 04:39 PM
    Evdo stands for evolution data only. Evdo is basically verizon and sprints way of saying 3G. So when you see 1X on your phone...you do not have 3G. When you see EV1X, you have 3G

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-19-09 05:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD