Kevin posted a pretty big review of the Blackberry Onyx just recently. BlackBerry Onyx Review - First Impressions | CrackBerry.com Now after reading what he said about it, makes me wonder how this Phone now compares to the Tour? They look nearly identicle, one wouldn't know the difference hardly if you had Both the Tour and theOnyx in your hands. One thing that got me a little bit was that the Onyx does indeed have WIFI. What do you guys think of the Onyx when compared to the Tour now?
    05-24-09 01:16 PM
    05-24-09 01:18 PM
    Tour is CDMA, Onyx is GSM.
    Tour is bigger.
    Onyx has small keyboard.
    Onyx has better specs. Faster processor than the Bold also!
    05-24-09 01:19 PM
    lol you posted ur thread while I was still typing mine out
    05-24-09 01:26 PM
    Tour is CDMA, Onyx is GSM.
    and that is all that really matters...
    05-24-09 01:31 PM
    The Bold is faster than the Tour, and the Onyx has better specs than the Bold. So I would say it's better.
    05-24-09 01:36 PM
    I just found out the the Onyx has a Beveled screen and keyboard! Thats terrable! That would make the phone look smaller then it really is as well! Not a fan of that.

Batter cover looks very cheep, very weird spot to place the Memory card. The more I look at the Onyx and read about it, the more I'm liking the Tour. One thing I wish the Tour had was Wifi like the Onyx but well see what happens when it does finally come out

the Rubber buttons on the Onyx makes the Phone look cheap, I love the chrome trim and chrome buttons on the Tour. The Onyx seems like a refined Curve.
    Last edited by mjbesen310; 05-24-09 at 01:42 PM.
    05-24-09 01:39 PM
    I just found out the the Onyx has a Beveled screen and keyboard! Thats terrable! That would make the phone look smaller then it really is as well! Not a fan of that.

Batter cover looks very cheep, very weird spot to place the Memory card. The more I look at the Onyx and read about it, the more I'm liking the Tour. One thing I wish the Tour had was Wifi like the Onyx but well see what happens when it does finally come out

the Rubber buttons on the Onyx makes the Phone look cheap, I love the chrome trim and chrome buttons on the Tour. The Onyx seems like a refined Curve.
    To me, as of right now, the looks don't matter because that can all change before release. Even if it stays the same I still find it to be not bad at all. The part I am more interested in is the fact that the specs are better than the Tour.
    05-24-09 01:57 PM
    As always the gsm offering pwns the cdma can't wait to get this bad boy to replace my bold. Let's face it looks are subjective but specs don't lie the tour is junk compared to onyx

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-24-09 02:39 PM
    As always the gsm offering pwns the cdma can't wait to get this bad boy to replace my bold. Let's face it looks are subjective but specs don't lie the tour is junk compared to onyx

A phone only goes as far as the network its on and you, sir, are dead in the water. Tour on Verizon is going to be the best Berry out there.
    05-24-09 02:45 PM
    A phone only goes as far as the network its on and you, sir, are dead in the water. Tour on Verizon is going to be the best Berry out there.
    This I have to disagree with. AT&T is perfectly fine with me, I don't have any problems. Currently AT&T speeds exceed those of Verizon. Just wait until they roll out the HSUPA. 7.2Mbps. Say what you want about AT&T, I'll switch it on you. The Bold on Rogers is perfect. Rogers has great(expensive) service. The Onyx on Rogers HSUPA will be the best BB out. Until it's release, the Bold will carry that moniker.
    05-24-09 02:49 PM
    This I have to disagree with. AT&T is perfectly fine with me, I don't have any problems. Currently AT&T speeds exceed those of Verizon. Just wait until they roll out the HSUPA. 7.2Mbps. Say what you want about AT&T, I'll switch it on you. The Bold on Rogers is perfect. Rogers has great(expensive) service. The Onyx on Rogers HSUPA will be the best BB out. Until it's release, the Bold will carry that moniker.
    Exactly. Absolutely no problems with AT&T and couldn't be happier. Was waiting for the "it's all about the network" line to be dropped. And yes, the Bold will still be the best until the Onyx is out.
    05-24-09 02:53 PM
    Once again, it all comes down to location. Stang could probably agree with this because in NJ Verizon has the best coverage. Pretty much anywhere near the city and you will have amazing coverage with Verizon. I do have some AT&T buddies using the Bold who have choppy coverage in the same areas.
    05-24-09 02:54 PM
    I think it will be funny to see how many people that were dying for the Tour get depressed now because some of the techincal specs in the Onyx are better than the Tour. I am with Verizon and will never go with AT&T again as long as I live in this area. That being said...bring on the Tour for me.

I also doubt that many of the internal spec differences will even be noticeable.
    05-24-09 03:00 PM
    I think it will be funny to see how many people that were dying for the Tour get depressed now because some of the techincal specs in the Onyx are better than the Tour. I am with Verizon and will never go with AT&T again as long as I live in this area. That being said...bring on the Tour for me.

I also doubt that many of the internal spec differences will even be noticeable.
    Well the processor on the Bold is faster than the Tours, so we will have to see how noticeable that is first. If it is, then you will definitely see the difference between the Onyx and the Tour because the Onyx is faster than the Bold. My guess is you will see the difference, but most wont really care.
    05-24-09 03:07 PM

Yeah I agree. Plus the Onyx is smaller compared to the tour which is not good and is cheeper looking compared to the tour with all those rubber black buttons. To me thats getting cheap.
    05-24-09 03:11 PM
    Nobody spelled it out here but I'm getting that the Onxy is the Rogers version of the 8900 more or less? What's the diff between Onxy and 8900? And please don't tell me to do a search just answer the question if you can.
    Last edited by thebignewt; 05-24-09 at 03:32 PM.
    05-24-09 03:29 PM
    Well... With a CDMA carrier I'm still riding a 8330 waiting for something faster!! The Tour looks great and love the fact that its a tiny bit bigger. Truth be told... A little size, even as large as the Bold, is good.

I've held an 8900, and while its a great device I want something a little bigger. Thus, even tho its not an option the Onyx isn't an appeal for me.

05-24-09 03:50 PM
    Nobody spelled it out here but I'm getting that the Onxy is the Rogers version of the 8900 more or less? What's the diff between Onxy and 8900? And please don't tell me to do a search just answer the question if you can.
    The difference is the Onyx is UMTS/HSPA capable whereas the 8900 is not. The Onyx has a faster processor and will use a newer version of device software. And it also has a different keyboard and keys.
    05-24-09 04:03 PM
    Yeah, but remember the good ol' days when people used to use phones to call people? lol Year after year after year, Verizon is number one for call coverage (as well as data). Number one complaint about the iPhone? The NETWORK. Same can be said about the Blackberrys on At&t. I hate talking on the phone with my girlfriend because she has At&t and I can TELL the difference just by talking to her (or maybe it's my ****tastic Storm), even when she isn't dropping the call. Say what you will, but a phone is only as good as the coverage...voice AND data.
    05-24-09 04:10 PM
    The Bold is faster than the Tour, and the Onyx has better specs than the Bold. So I would say it's better.
    i'm still waiting on somebody to back this statement up
    kevin said it's snappier than the Bold......every new device is always the snappiest this or the best that untill it is actually released then reality sets in
    anybody know what processor the Onyx is using or is it all speculation?

edit:i got an answer to my question...sorta
    Last edited by giantfan30; 05-24-09 at 04:46 PM.
    05-24-09 04:22 PM
    It depends on where you life again verizon has more infrastructure and a head start on their network. Att gives you a little bit more freedom ang gsm is great if you have more than one phone. The new iphone is coming and att is building up their network to handle it which will make it better for everybody. Another thing to consider on vz dumb phones don't really use the 3g side of thr network on att pretty much every phone is on 3g att is using a new setting to force phones to use edge to make calls to lower the burden on the 3g network. Only phones that won't be forced are the iphone and bb bold.

05-24-09 04:43 PM
    i'm still waiting on somebody to back this statement up
    kevin said it's snappier than the Bold......every new device is always the snappiest this or the best that untill it is actually released then reality sets in
    anybody know what processor the Onyx is using or is it all speculation?
    Yeah, if I hear "it's a little snappier" or "smoother" again I'll hurl I hear that every time somebody install a new OS too (along with "best battery life yet" lol)
    05-24-09 05:30 PM
    Yeah, if I hear "it's a little snappier" or "smoother" again I'll hurl I hear that every time somebody install a new OS too (along with "best battery life yet" lol)
    LMFAO ok you said what i was thinking
    05-24-09 05:53 PM
    and that is all that really matters...
    Exactly, what's the point of comparing the devices, you get whatever one you are part of the network. CDMA or GSM. Unless you switch I suppose.
    05-24-09 05:57 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD