So i just got the tour and it is pretty amazing in a lot of ways. I picked up on the keyboard pretty fast, it looks amazing, and its screen looks beautiful.

However, I am being badly disappointed by its "stability" or lack thereof. So ok, here it is:

1) Blackberry App World hangs on "Installing..." when installing any application, had done it with 3 in a row so far. I can install new programs by sending the link from my PC, but I cant browse apps on my phone and it is completely non-responsive when I'm in the window.

2) The phone "hangs," as in becomes totally non-responsive ALL THE TIME. It will freeze for anywhere between 10-30 seconds and is RIDICULOUS because it happens about once a minute to 5 minutes and right when I'm trying to do something. Happens in all apps, especially when browsing menus. Anyone else get this because its very debilitating and takes away completely from any functional value the phone gives.

What do I do?

Thanks in advance!
    PS: I'm running v.4.7.1.40 operating system and it appears to be a GREEN DOT from mexico
    Last edited by Supermanwoot; 09-06-09 at 12:36 PM.
    09-06-09 12:32 PM
    Congrats on the new Tour! A couple of questions that may help address your lag issues. BTW - I don't know how much of a BB n00b you are (or not) so forgive me if this is breaking it down too much for ya.

1) How many 3rd party apps, if any, have you loaded to your device?
    2) Keeping apps running in the background rather than shutting them down can contribute to lag. Are you running a ton of apps in the background right now? You can check how many apps you have running by pressing and holding the BB Menu button, which will bring up your app switcher. The only five that run all the time are Browser, Messages, Phone, BBM and Home. Everything else can and should be shut down when not in use.
    3) I'm curious to know how much Free App Memory you have (Options>Memory). If your device memory is running low, then do a battery pull and see if that doesn't free up some space.
    09-06-09 12:39 PM
    Congrats! Enjoy your Tour!

All these hangs and lags I think are caused by the OS so as soon as an OS update releases I suggest upgrading
    09-06-09 12:43 PM
    Thanks for the good info CafeRacer808! Much appreciated!
    09-06-09 01:22 PM
    Some of us, like myself, are running same OS version as OP and have O lag issues. Although it will only get better with upgrades, something else MAY be causing it to lag. I would start by doing as caferacer808 described and maybe even a wipe to put everything back to "out of the box" state.
    Then take it from there.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-06-09 01:26 PM
    Here are the apps I have installed:
    -facebook
    -phillies.com
    -bank of america
    -poynt
    -BB app world (fixed it by deleting it and then reinstalling btw)
    -BeWeather (havent used it yet)

I tried to clear up some memory and I accidently deleted PasswordKeeper (because of the software lag I ment to click no but it hung and then when it unfroze it deleted it). Do I need this app?

I have 116MB free mem and it is badly hanging, especially sucks typing a text only to have to wait for it to unfreeze in 30 seconds just to finish typing.

I'm really not sure what to do, might have to install the 5.0 OS and see what happens?

And it basically is in OUT OF BOX condition, it has always done this and I just got it friday.

edit: I think its facebook, anyone get hardcore lag with that in the background? It seems like it is trying to take over my phone and opens up and links my contacts to facebook people its like joseph stalin in app form.

edit2: cancel that it just did it to me again without it running and it does it if I'm in another app and a text comes in
    Last edited by Supermanwoot; 09-06-09 at 02:09 PM.
    09-06-09 01:55 PM
    I mean i literally only have BBM and the media thing open and its locking up like it has parkinsons

edit: ok how do i wipe it?
    Last edited by Supermanwoot; 09-06-09 at 02:31 PM.
    09-06-09 02:17 PM
    when the new OS update comes out will that be free?
    09-06-09 02:31 PM
    when the new OS update comes out will that be free?
    yeah it should be free
    09-06-09 02:36 PM
    Either get a replacement cuz your phone shouldn't be freezing all the time with no apps running

Or just try 5.0 and see if its better

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-06-09 02:59 PM
    Yeah I'll have to get a replacement next week. Its just out of hand how I'm waiting for the phone to unfreeze more than I'm actually doing things on it. Even upon waking up the phone it just sits there for 15 seconds before I can scroll to the SMS and read a text and thats with zero apps in the background and 116.6MB free... BB gave me a bad first impression
    09-06-09 03:53 PM
    Personally, I'd try a wipe and reinstall of the OS first.
    09-06-09 03:56 PM
    Yeah have the lag issue myself especially when typing in bbm, or even a txt message. I have NO 3rd party apps running, no extra apps(no facebook etc), i have tried wipe and reinstall didnt fix that issue. In fact me and my wife are both on our second tours and both have major lag issues and many random reboots. I truly believe their is something in this OS that is causing the lag and or reboots. The only thing that should fix it is the scheduled OS update. Hopefully all is corrected.
    09-06-09 04:45 PM
    Yeah have the lag issue myself...
    we'll I'm kinda glad someone else has the issue too. Its pretty bad and takes everything away from an otherwise outstanding device.

How do you completely wipe the device? I'm gonna have to swap it next week at some point for a different one.
    09-06-09 05:14 PM
    Well, you should do a backup before you wipe everything. Do you have Desktop Manager installed on a PC at home? If so, you can use that to back up your preferences, apps and whatnot. Then wipe your device, which you can do in Options>Security Options>General Settings>BB Menu Key>Wipe Handheld. (Pretty sure you can do this in DM also, but I'm running a Mac so I don't know DM that well. ) After that, then you can do a clean install of the OS.

I'm sure one of the PC users out there can chime and get more specific about the process...like I said, I'm on a Mac so it's a little different (and much more of a PITA) for me - haha.
    09-06-09 05:24 PM
    If you used an SD card from an older device, you might want to make sure to delete the thumbnail.dat files. They are an index of some sort and may differ between OS or phone versions.
    09-06-09 06:46 PM
    well what kills the tour is turning on the phones radio. When the radio is off is super fast. Turn it on and it starts uber-lagging all over the place.

edit: got 5.0 and it still sucks must be the device
    Last edited by Supermanwoot; 09-06-09 at 07:18 PM.
    09-06-09 07:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD