If i was to lose my phone and get one through insurance what happens to the phone that i lost? does the person who "find"/"stole" still be able to use ? or does verizon make the esn number from Good to bad?

Im just curious cause i might buy a phone from Craigslist and i dont my phone to be working one day and stop working.

thankk you =]
    07-23-10 03:07 AM
    If you report the device lost or stolen, then it is blocked by Verizon.

If you are purchasing a used device, ask for the ESN and check with Verizon before you complete the purchase to make sure the ESN is clear.
    07-23-10 05:58 AM
    yup but doesnt that also mean 1. it has clean esn so i can activate it. however 2. One day they just report that the phone is lost/stolen then... what would happen with my phone? that i purchased? im guessing it would stop working?
    07-24-10 01:57 AM
    yup but doesnt that also mean 1. it has clean esn so i can activate it. however 2. One day they just report that the phone is lost/stolen then... what would happen with my phone? that i purchased? im guessing it would stop working?
    Better ask for some explanation regarding your concern before buying so you wont waste your money.
    07-24-10 01:59 AM
    There's too many stories out there where people have experienced what you envision as a possibility of getting screwed. I would be very leery of buying a phone from someone I didn't know or someone I couldn't track down in the event of a problem.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-24-10 02:17 AM
    I've read that when buying from Craigslist, the best place to meet and exchange items is in the Carrier's store. That way you can activate it right there and there aren't any worries about the seller getting your money and then calling and saying it was stolen.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-24-10 03:40 AM
    If the ESN is clear and then you activate it on your account, they will not be able to just "one day report it stolen". Once you activate it, they will no longer be able to control the device.

But as noted above, one piece of advice is to meet at the Verizon store when purchasing.
    07-24-10 06:44 AM
    ha Thanksss for alll the replies and answers =] you guys rock! ha and yess i am meeting with the guy at a verizon store, and the guy him self works at verizon store at a different location. so he seems pretty trustworthy =]

but sadly i wont be using the tour anymore... but a android phone...=/ my sister wants the tour and she doesnt have the money to buy one used ot renew her contract. sooo i have buy a new phone...ha oh well thanks for the answers once again.! a lot of help!
    07-25-10 11:59 PM
    ha Thanksss for alll the replies and answers =] you guys rock! ha and yess i am meeting with the guy at a verizon store, and the guy him self works at verizon store at a different location. so he seems pretty trustworthy =]

but sadly i wont be using the tour anymore... but a android phone...=/ my sister wants the tour and she doesnt have the money to buy one used ot renew her contract. sooo i have buy a new phone...ha oh well thanks for the answers once again.! a lot of help!
    If you have never used and android and love blackberry...you will hate android and miss ur bb sooooo much!! i have been using an android phone for 2 mos now because i really wanted to give it a chance and i hate it with a passion!!!! now i am going to have to wait until i can afford to buy another bb because i sold my bb to buy the droid which i absolutely HATE!!!! i miss my bbm and the fb interface sooo much
    07-27-10 03:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD