Hey guys,

I use my phone and do lots of group texting to stay in contact with all of my friends and clients. I do not have many apps installed on my Verizon Tour. I mainly use the FB app, Opera, Beejive, skype and that�s it. My battery gets drained in less than 6 hours and I carry 3 batteries on me so that I do not ever run into a situation due to my business. Unfortunately, what is slowly moving me away from the blackberry as a device is their insanely long boot times. When I first purchased the blackberry my boot time was around 5 minutes. Now after I timed it Saturday night and just now they are: 14:05 minutes and 15:01 minutes respectively.

I understand that I may have lots of SMS messages and emails but after the phone boots up it then lags as it is loading everything for another 5 minutes. This means that for a full start-up my phone takes almost 20 minutes!

Does anyone have any ideas on how to speed this up? I do alt-lg/lg to clear my logs, I use memory cleaner, but nothing has sped up my boot times. Even a P5-75 from 1999 did not take this long to load.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by dpoverlord; 06-07-10 at 10:26 AM.
    06-07-10 09:50 AM
    To many apps, texting/emailing and going through your phone drains your battery. Try adjusting your backlight. Use your phone only when needed if you are running a business, because, the more you go through it drains your battery.

Try upgrading your OS also, I think the SMS upgrade to have all text from one person in one conversation like "iphones" helps with the battery.
    06-07-10 11:02 AM
    Okay first things first.

Battery issues the biggest drainer of the battery is looking for signals. Are you in a location that has constant coverage?
    Secondly the more you use the phone the more battery it uses.
    Thirdly every time you boot you lose 6-10% of the battery.

Okay as for long boot times.
    Your phone should NOT take that long to boot. Something is Wrong.
    What OS are you running?
    Also you may have a corrupt DB somewhere on the phone.
    06-07-10 11:06 AM
    I am located in NYC and when I go to system about: it says Blackberry 9630 v5.0.0.591 *bundle 1059, platform 4.2.0.284).

Currently my phone has 3,320 contacts, and when I get a voicemail it locks me out from being able to sms that person until I delete their SMS conversation due to their being a VM message stating dial *86.

Battery wise, I am fine with the battery being drained but, what is killing me is the boot up times. Is it worth me buying the new Verizon Bold 9650?

How do I download the latest OS? It seems that Verizon only updated there OS on 4/10

Thoughts?
    06-07-10 11:12 AM
    Well you need a "leaked" os look for .643 on the forums and you will find it. Good OS. if you are not familiar with loading an OS read up on doing it here:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/ Search here for realoding an os

your leak is in here: http://forums.crackberry.com/f95/lea...-643-a-462187/
    06-07-10 11:19 AM
    It says that you are using 5.0.0.699

Is that better than the above leaked OS? Are there a lot of stability issues with it?
    06-07-10 11:26 AM
    I am and that is because I took the BOLD 5.0.0.699 and merged it the .643 build for the Tour and made this OS. It runs fine. Until you get used to messing with OS loads I would stick with stock OS builds.
    06-07-10 11:33 AM
    I see, my main concern is only with the Group SMS texting, SMS texts in general and specifically Boot time.

I'll go with the .643, real stupid question though.... What's the main difference with the leaked OS and released? Just a few more bugs? When would it make sense to use one of the hybrid OS'S?

Also how would I go around fixing my DB's?
    Last edited by dpoverlord; 06-07-10 at 11:40 AM.
    06-07-10 11:34 AM
    will check out .643
    06-07-10 12:02 PM
    ...a full start-up my phone takes almost 20 minutes!

Does anyone have any ideas on how to speed this up? I do alt-lg/lg to clear my logs, I use memory cleaner, but nothing has sped up my boot times. Even a P5-75 from 1999 did not take this long to load.

Thoughts?
    Turning off the memory cleaner function may help some. It should not run during boot-up regardless, but it's a security function that you most likely don't need anyway.
    06-07-10 12:51 PM
    Thanks a lot I just loaded .643 and will look into how to turn off the memory cleaner
    06-07-10 01:03 PM
    Thanks a lot I just loaded .643 and will look into how to turn off the memory cleaner
    Options / Security Options / Memory Cleaning / Disabled
    06-07-10 01:10 PM
    Thanks will do! It is still updating my databases. What are your thoughts on this latest OS update vs the .662? I am really hoping that this fixes my outstanding issues. I used BBSAK to download and upload my applications. Weirdly enough though it did not have all the apps that my manual app download had.

I.E. SheetToGo47Resource.cod was listed in my manual application download

Then an app I no longer used "QuickPullLibrary.cod" was still listed.

What do you think?
    06-07-10 01:16 PM
    ...What are your thoughts on this latest OS update vs the .662? ...
    I am happily running 4.7.1.61 with no problems and no need for the additional features of 5.0, especially given the problems that come with them.
    06-07-10 01:21 PM
    Options / Security Options / Memory Cleaning / Disabled
    Yeah that should help you.
    06-07-10 02:17 PM
    Skip are you just padding your post count some of your posts are really no help at all or you are just agreeing with folks?
    06-07-10 02:24 PM
    Did you wipe before installing the new OS? I've always had the best luck when wiping first. Just like starting with a fresh install of windows vs installing it over the last version.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-07-10 08:28 PM
    The OS install process does a wipe automatically. It doesn't hurt for you to do one, nor does it help.

06-07-10 08:37 PM
    I know it does its' own, and I can't explain it, but I can definitely say the OS "seems" smoother when doing a separate wipe first. Maybe it's my imagination, but it's hard to say I guess...

06-07-10 08:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD