Is it impossible to keep the Tour in mint condition without some sort of case? I'm aware of what's out there, and what some of the best protection methods and products are...but still prefer to keep my phones "naked".

All of my Tours at this point have developed hairline scratches both on the navigation keys(talk, bb, back, end) and the top piece(where your ear goes...heh) ... Which is nuts, because when this phone is not in my hand, its holstered in a RIM belt clip.

I refuse to set the phone down on anything other than a bed or soft surface/paper, book etc, for fear of scratching the **** out of the camera and lens. I treat this thing like a baby, and yet still manage to see scratches and marks appearing seemingly out of thin air. Its driving me nuts!!!!!

The most recent Tour I've had now for three days. When a good amount of fingerprints/dust/etc build up I wipe it down with a terry cloth or microfiber cloth to clean it up. However, just today I've noticed a hairline scratch near the top of the screen, and a couple tiny hairline scratches on the top piece above the screen. I almost lost my mind! In the 3 days I've had this phone, its either been to my ear, in my hand txting, or in the belt clip. I don't wear earrings, so how in the world are scratches appearing already!? You can only see them in direct sunlight, or when angled a certain way indoors...but for overly OCD folks such as myself this is just annoying!

I'd like to see RIM incorporate a scratch resistant material into the next gen of phones...while at it, fingerprint resistant would be great too! These navigation keys get nasty petty quick, and I don't have oily or sweaty hands! I looked at the trackball of my old tour and it was glossy black, while the new tour tb was matte black...lol...I guess that says it all. But I mean c'mon...my ipod touch has ZERO scratches...on the screen or the backing. So I just don't get it! If I take my fingernail across the screen of my Tour, it won't leave a scratch mark. So what the **** is scratching this thing!? There must be a troll in my house, and putting nails to it in the middle of the night when I'm sleeping...lol

Curious if any other "naked" Tour fanatics with OCD are seeing scratches on the keys, and top piece above the screen...or the screen itself.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-09-09 11:35 PM
    I dont have any case except for the screen protector and goes in my pocket most of the time. There arent any noticeable scratches on it either. I take really good care of it though. Just never liked the cases since it made it even bulkier and the silicon cases just attract dust like no other.
    11-09-09 11:42 PM
    Wow. Seriously? There are other worse things that happen in life. If you want to keep it naked, put BSE/Zagg skin on it. Otherwise put a otterbox defender on it.
    11-09-09 11:45 PM
    Got an innocase snap, so setting it down on whatever doesn't do anything.
    11-09-09 11:48 PM
    Case or bust.

11-10-09 12:20 AM
    I always keep mine in a BB skin while I am around the house and in the case or holster when I go somewhere. I feel better knowing someone is actually as OCD as I am when it comes to things like this.... my wife thinks I am nuts.. but what can I say...LOL. I haven't noticed any scratches on mine yet.. but maybe I am too focused on keeping the smudges off the screen..
    11-10-09 12:24 AM
    concrete cracks, plastic scratches. Some day you're gonna die too.
    11-10-09 12:29 AM
    Some day you're gonna die too.
    I don't believe you!
    11-10-09 12:37 AM
    Go with the ZAGG brand protector. The material they use is great and is very easy to clean. You can wipe fingerprints off and it WILL keep your Tour looking good. I have tried many brands and now the ONLY brand I will use is ZAGG.
    11-10-09 01:08 AM
    concrete cracks, plastic scratches. Some day you're gonna die too.
    Hey, so far i'm doing pretty good at not dying! as far as i know...
    11-10-09 01:13 AM
    I'm glad I put my Inno 2 on because,well, my legs decided to miss a step on my stairs the other day and i bit it...hard. Slow motion movie-esque, my Tour goes flying in the air, hits the tile on its back, and the only thing that happened was the case slightly separated. I'm watching this as I'm sliding down on my back. I think I was roughed up more than my Tour. Just thought I would throw my support for a case at ya!

11-10-09 01:19 AM
    I know what you're talking about. The scratches I have aren't deep or wide at all, but if you're looking for them, you'll see them. As much as I like my BB naked, I ended up getting a case. It's not that bad. MUCH better than the OEM silicone cases, and gives me piece of mind.
    11-10-09 01:19 AM
    I use the oem curve leather pouch and it keeps mine safe from harm

11-10-09 01:24 AM
    this is what you call OCD.

anyways i've had my tour for 3 months with no problems and.. no scratches..
    11-10-09 01:28 AM
    Same here - oem case, still looks mint. But maybe that' because I handle it like an infant.
    11-10-09 01:38 AM
    After 3 months I do see some hairline scratches on the earpeice. I figure its from sliding it in and out of the case. And the bump on the D key shows light through now. I'm not worried about it, its being well used. If that's the worst of its battle scars I'll be very happy.

11-10-09 01:44 AM
    If you want to keep your phone as "naked" as possible I also recommend the ZAGG invisible shield. I had it on a previous phone and it was awesome, I dropped it a few times and it never scratched. I now have the OtterBox Defender case on my phone and it's indestructible!! But it does add some bulk, doesn't bother me though.
    11-10-09 02:51 AM
    Even in the Innocase II, I still have very small hairline scratches up above the earpiece by the lock/mute buttons...
    11-10-09 03:42 AM
    Like I've posted before, years ago I saw a dude with a beat up old Treo, and it looked awesome. Like a worn baseball mitt or a chef's knife that's well used. Just looked good.

Of course having said that I keep mine in a leather pouch
    11-10-09 04:06 AM
    My tour (on #5) has a stuck/dead red pixel.... I believe that is as worse as it can get for an ocd Tour owner.

*my 2 epik cases r coming in from hong kong in like a week or so....

11-10-09 04:28 AM
    I used to be uber careful with my phone and it still got scratches out of nowhere just like the OP's experience. It drove me nuts. One day I'd had enough of my own obsessing over keeping the phone mint. So, I got a Phantom Skinz screen protector and an Innocase II and called it a day. Now I just treat it like any other phone (as far as handling goes) and if it gets a scratch here and there then so be it. Don't get me wrong I still treat it with the respect any Berry deserves, I just dont baby it like it's a Faberge Egg or something (not anymore anyway lol). Needless to say I'm much less stressed when it comes to my Berry now because I'm not constantly worried about minor drops and scratches. As long as it works and doesn't look like it's been run through a dryer full of gravel then I'm happy
    11-10-09 05:42 AM
    Is it impossible to keep the Tour in mint condition without some sort of case? I'm aware of what's out there, and what some of the best protection methods and products are...but still prefer to keep my phones "naked".

All of my Tours at this point have developed hairline scratches both on the navigation keys(talk, bb, back, end) and the top piece(where your ear goes...heh) ... Which is nuts, because when this phone is not in my hand, its holstered in a RIM belt clip.

I refuse to set the phone down on anything other than a bed or soft surface/paper, book etc, for fear of scratching the **** out of the camera and lens. I treat this thing like a baby, and yet still manage to see scratches and marks appearing seemingly out of thin air. Its driving me nuts!!!!!

The most recent Tour I've had now for three days. When a good amount of fingerprints/dust/etc build up I wipe it down with a terry cloth or microfiber cloth to clean it up. However, just today I've noticed a hairline scratch near the top of the screen, and a couple tiny hairline scratches on the top piece above the screen. I almost lost my mind! In the 3 days I've had this phone, its either been to my ear, in my hand txting, or in the belt clip. I don't wear earrings, so how in the world are scratches appearing already!? You can only see them in direct sunlight, or when angled a certain way indoors...but for overly OCD folks such as myself this is just annoying!

I'd like to see RIM incorporate a scratch resistant material into the next gen of phones...while at it, fingerprint resistant would be great too! These navigation keys get nasty petty quick, and I don't have oily or sweaty hands! I looked at the trackball of my old tour and it was glossy black, while the new tour tb was matte black...lol...I guess that says it all. But I mean c'mon...my ipod touch has ZERO scratches...on the screen or the backing. So I just don't get it! If I take my fingernail across the screen of my Tour, it won't leave a scratch mark. So what the **** is scratching this thing!? There must be a troll in my house, and putting nails to it in the middle of the night when I'm sleeping...lol

Curious if any other "naked" Tour fanatics with OCD are seeing scratches on the keys, and top piece above the screen...or the screen itself.

Great to see that Monk is on Crackberry forums!!!

11-10-09 07:17 AM
    I've had pretty good luck with keeping my Tour looking great. Leather holster and screen protector combined with cupholder mount for when I'm in my car. Microfibre cloth to keep it clean. A quick tip is to face the screen toward you when you slip it into its holster.

Even the best of official protection systems aren't (yet?) waterproof, so you'll need to keep it in a jacket pocket if on the go while in the rain. And as we all know, a plastic baggie is great when you absolutely must shower with your 'berry!
    11-10-09 07:25 AM
    Lmao - thanks for that! Haha

Great to see that Monk is on Crackberry forums!!!

11-10-09 07:40 AM
    seidio innocase 11 has been great for me fits great looks great and allows to charge without removing cas in a cradle
    11-10-09 08:13 AM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD