I'm reading in some places that using image stabilization can make the pictures worse on the Tour? I'm baffled as to why this is. Could someone try to explain?

And do you prefer this on or off?
    10-31-09 12:31 AM
    I have studied it to notice any difference.....where did u hear this by the way?
    10-31-09 12:39 AM
    I've only used the camera about a dozen times, but the first few times it was off (didn't know any better) then I found out I could turn it on and the pictures were much better! At least for me personally....
    10-31-09 12:40 AM
    It's gooooooooooooooood~
    10-31-09 12:49 AM
    I've read it in this forum. Something about it adding "noise" to pictures. I haven't the slightest idea what they mean.
    10-31-09 10:44 AM
    I've read it in this forum. Something about it adding "noise" to pictures. I haven't the slightest idea what they mean.
    "Noise" usually means some kind of slight distortion.
    10-31-09 10:58 AM
    This is the thing that I don't understand, how could turning on image stabilization add a slight distortion to a picture? How does this work?
    10-31-09 11:32 AM
    Noise usually means that it looks somewhat staticy, not relly distorted.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-31-09 11:38 AM
    I've noticed that if you take a picture in low light, without flash, the pics come out much clearer with image stabilization turned off. But as long as the light is sufficient, I haven't noticed much difference in pics with it turned on or off.
    10-31-09 12:14 PM
    Noise usually means that it looks somewhat staticy, not relly distorted.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    There you go...better said...
    10-31-09 12:26 PM
    It still doesn't make sense as to what would cause this?
    10-31-09 12:38 PM
    You have to figure there must be at least some negitves to using image stablization. Otherwise you wouldnt have the option to turn it on and off, it would just always be on.
    10-31-09 12:50 PM
    I tried taking pictures with Image Stabalization on and off and comparing the two but couldnt get any difference other than they are about 10kil. more than each other....
    10-31-09 12:58 PM
    It still doesn't make sense as to what would cause this?
    somebody who knows about cameras might be able to explain why it would do this...i mean its suppose to "stabilize" the image so it might be kinda of "freezing" as to cause a stable image and not a blurry one. ( i think i have the right idea, maybe not the right terminology though)
    Last edited by Julio12; 10-31-09 at 01:20 PM.
    10-31-09 01:06 PM
    somebody who knows about cameras might be able to explain why it would do this...i mean its suppose to "stabilize" the image so it might be kinda of "freezing" as to cause a stable image and not a blurry one. ( i think i have the right idea, maybe not the right terminology though)
    I think you may be accurate there. I believe it makes it more stable with less potential blur, but in some situations such as lower light, maybe it causes a slightly less quality picture? I dunno. Like you said, maybe someone with some better camera knowledge can school us.
    10-31-09 01:28 PM
    I believe it makes it more stable with less potential blur, but in some situations such as lower light, maybe it causes a slightly less quality picture?
    I can see how in a lower light situation it can cause less of a quality picture, though i dont know how to explain it, it makes sense..in a sense..lol
    10-31-09 01:42 PM
    There's 2 ways to achieve imagine stabilization. The "real" way is where the actual lenses inside the camera moves to compensate for hand movements. The other way is for the camera to increase it's ISO (sensitivity to light) - the drawback to this is anytime you bump up the ISO, you increase noise (graininess) in the pictures. That's also why low light pictures turn out grainy as well.
    10-31-09 02:52 PM
    There's 2 ways to achieve imagine stabilization. The "real" way is where the actual lenses inside the camera moves to compensate for hand movements. The other way is for the camera to increase it's ISO (sensitivity to light) - the drawback to this is anytime you bump up the ISO, you increase noise (graininess) in the pictures. That's also why low light pictures turn out grainy as well.
    Ok this makes sense.
    10-31-09 02:58 PM
    Great explanation Blackberry Guy! I found the excess noise to be too much in low light shots, so I've turned IS off and am happier (although getting non-blurry images is now of course more of a challenge!).
    10-31-09 04:04 PM
    Image stabilization on my first Tour, which developed a terminal case of 'trackball', worked very well and produced good photos. Image stabilization on my replacement Tour adds huge amounts of red-colored, grainy noise. In bright light, it affects image quality a little bit. In dim light, it overwhelms the image. I simply turn it off. Poor image stabilization is acceptable in a working Blackberry; clapped out trackball is not. Note: my wife just got a Tour. The image stabilization on hers does NOT add a bunch of noise. I'm almost jealous.
    11-19-09 11:57 PM
    Image stabilization on my first Tour, which developed a terminal case of 'trackball', worked very well and produced good photos. Image stabilization on my replacement Tour adds huge amounts of red-colored, grainy noise. In bright light, it affects image quality a little bit. In dim light, it overwhelms the image. I simply turn it off. Poor image stabilization is acceptable in a working Blackberry; clapped out trackball is not. Note: my wife just got a Tour. The image stabilization on hers does NOT add a bunch of noise. I'm almost jealous.
    EXACT SAME. It is a defect in the phone. Return it. Ive had FIVE tours so far and each one worked perfect in image stabilization, but i had to return to other issues. The last one I had worked fine, but the pictures were completely messed up in image stabilization mode. Return it for a new one.
    12-19-09 04:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD