...would I get a new or refurbed unit? The reason is that I went into a VZW store today and played with their Tour, and it showed me just how bad my trackball on my Tour really is. But I'm hesitant about getting mine replaced for two reasons: 1) I don't want to get a refurb, and 2) I don't want to make my problem worse by now getting one with a muffled microphone or screen ripple.

Everything else on my Tour has been great, with the exception of the loose battery door that I can deal with. Has anyone else returned their Tour and got more favorable results in return?
    Last edited by slinky317; 07-23-09 at 12:07 PM.
    07-23-09 12:00 PM
    If you replace it at a STORE, they should give you a brand new one. If you go through the insurance, then no, you'll probably get a refurbished one, IF they have any.

I'd say eliminate the potential and just go to the stores.
    07-23-09 12:02 PM
    Brand Spanking New Tour
    07-23-09 01:31 PM
    They will swap it out with a brand new one within 30 days. Think of it like this.... you have 30 days to return and get your money back. So there would be no point for you to turn it in and them give you your money back so you can turn around and buy another.
    07-23-09 01:42 PM
    if you are still within 30 days they would exchange it for a brand new one, plus its still way to early for refurb warranty replacement. i think it would take about at least 2 month for an actual refurb unit to roll out. any early refurb warranty replacements would most likely be repackaged brand new units. i know they did this with Storms.
    07-23-09 02:01 PM
    Go to the store!

On the bright side about the refurbs... considering all of the returns for trackballs, sound, battery cover... they will likely have only been used for a few days.
    07-23-09 02:05 PM
    if you exchange it within 30 days, do you get another 30 days or does it continue to subtract from the first 30 days?
    07-23-09 02:10 PM
    You do NOT get another 30 days. It goes off your original date of activation.
    07-23-09 02:12 PM
    if you exchange it within 30 days, do you get another 30 days or does it continue to subtract from the first 30 days?
    nope that loophole is closed.
    07-23-09 02:13 PM
    oh crap, i guess i should go to the store asap, just incase my replacement is worse than the original!
    07-23-09 02:16 PM
    quick question, i doubt they will do this, but what i if i bought a verizon privacy protector and do an exchange, will they give me a new one?
    07-23-09 02:19 PM
    I doubt it..

It's your phone that's actually defective, not the protector. If that were defective too, then they probably will replace it as well.

All that being said, you might be able to get them to throw one in. Maybe.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-23-09 02:33 PM
    I didn't know that the 30 days isn't restarted when the device is replaced.

You have 30 days to make sure the device is allright. Bring it back on day 29 due to a problem that possibly just arose, get another bad device and your stuck with it or you have an option to pay the $50.00 and get a refurb.

So in essence you could potentailly be paying around $300.00 (with the upgrade not NE2) for a refurbished device.
    That's just wrong!

Are you sure there is no type of grace period or something for certain situations?
    07-23-09 02:43 PM
    I didn't know that the 30 days isn't restarted when the device is replaced.

You have 30 days to make sure the device is allright. Bring it back on day 29 due to a problem that possibly just arose, get another bad device and your stuck with it or you have an option to pay the $50.00 and get a refurb.

So in essence you could potentailly be paying around $300.00 (with the upgrade not NE2) for a refurbished device.
    That's just wrong!

Are you sure there is no type of grace period or something for certain situations?
    You do not pay $50 for a waranty exchange, only for going through insurance.

If the repalcement you got on day 29 still had severe issues, i'm sure you could go right back to the store within a few days and demand they swap it out again for a new unit.

The 30 day window is really a limit for returns, or exchaning for a different model phone.
    07-23-09 05:11 PM
    go in store and they should give u knew one.
    though how do u kno if it is new because ppl try out tours right there in store like i did and if i find a problem with it i asked for a new one until i got one i liked. sooo idk
    07-23-09 08:37 PM
    if you send off the rebate, can you still return the phone?
    07-24-09 08:05 AM
    You do not pay $50 for a waranty exchange, only for going through insurance.

If the repalcement you got on day 29 still had severe issues, i'm sure you could go right back to the store within a few days and demand they swap it out again for a new unit.

The 30 day window is really a limit for returns, or exchaning for a different model phone.
    Good point. Not sure why I didn't put that together. Long day yesterday I guess.
    07-24-09 08:18 AM
    if you're w/ in 30 days its under the DOA policy and they would give you a brand new one
    07-24-09 08:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD