How soon would we see the carriers say like

"BlackBerry Tour 9630 World Edition Coming Soon to Verizon/Telus/Bell/Sprint"

I guess this question could be viewed as:

How soon after the 9630 is announced by RIM, do the carriers announce that they will be carrying the 9630?
    05-03-09 07:35 PM
    This is just a guess, but maybe within a few weeks or a month.
    05-03-09 07:57 PM
    But then again, I think they announced the Bold last May, and it launched in November. So who knows.
    05-03-09 08:04 PM
    I can wait longer if it gets WiFi, personally.
    05-03-09 08:09 PM
    I would rather have it early with no wifi...
    05-03-09 08:17 PM
    Well from what I understand CMDA doesn't allow simultaneous talk and data right? (If this is wrong it's because I'm pretty much a n00b)
    So WiFi would solve that problem, correct?
    05-03-09 08:19 PM
    Well from what I understand CMDA doesn't allow simultaneous talk and data right? (If this is wrong it's because I'm pretty much a n00b)
    Your right about the voice/data part, not sure why they would restrict wifi. It seems like it would decrease data usage on the network, it's probably a decision that was made by corporate suits.
    05-03-09 08:33 PM
    they prob dont want ppl 2 say if i am getting wifi then y am i paying 4 data. by voice data/ do u mean talk on the phone while going on internet if u do i dnt care bout tht cause i would not want 2 do tht anyway
    05-03-09 09:15 PM
    Your right about the voice/data part, not sure why they would restrict wifi. It seems like it would decrease data usage on the network, it's probably a decision that was made by corporate suits.
    in the past there was a push to sell data services, but as verizon has went with a unlimited BB data plan as the norm thats no longer the case.. I think that the addition of wi-fi would ease the data network strain.

Most people that buy a BB wouldnt want to use it with just wi-fi as alot of apps dont use wi-fi and those people would give up alot of mobility looking for a hotspot.
    05-03-09 09:47 PM
    in the past there was a push to sell data services, but as verizon has went with a unlimited BB data plan as the norm thats no longer the case.. I think that the addition of wi-fi would ease the data network strain.

Most people that buy a BB wouldnt want to use it with just wi-fi as alot of apps dont use wi-fi and those people would give up alot of mobility looking for a hotspot.
    Yep, on any given day, wifi on the 9630 would definitely alleviate some network strain for sure. But TT and ST would drop dramatically. :/
    05-03-09 10:21 PM
    Yeah, that is true. I am not sure what the bold is like as mom's is still charging but from what I hear about the the power drain that WI-FI causes... I can just hear the stormers talking about battery drain issues now..
    05-03-09 10:52 PM
    Yeah, that is true. I am not sure what the bold is like as mom's is still charging but from what I hear about the the power drain that WI-FI causes... I can just hear the stormers talking about battery drain issues now..
    I'm not going to lie, it goes fairly quick, but it's just nice to be able to use when the time is right. Great option. And yes, I can hear them already myself.... lol
    05-03-09 11:33 PM
    On the 8900 using WiFi every day for 5 hours or more, I'm still getting 2 days solid. Couldn't be that different on the Tour.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-03-09 11:54 PM
    But then again, I think they announced the Bold last May, and it launched in November. So who knows.
    When they announced it in May, did they give a release date/anticipated release date?

Just wondering if they announced in May and then gave a date like August, but then it was delayed till Nov. Or, if it was only announced with no date.
    05-04-09 09:11 AM
    I believe it was announced and then problems arose with the network causing delay.

05-04-09 11:54 AM
    I never thought about that and wonder myself if a wifi blackberry would receive data during a call (given it was connected thru wifi, e.g. at home/work). I guess no one really knows since there's never been a blackberry with wifi.

Anyone know this info from test devices or from other wifi PDAs on CDMA?
    05-04-09 01:07 PM
    I'm not going to lie, it goes fairly quick, but it's just nice to be able to use when the time is right. Great option. And yes, I can hear them already myself.... lol
    yea but complainers would have no leg to stand on since it would be an option that is used only "when needed." If your using wifi that much that your draining your battery, then that makes it even more of an argument that we desire it!

I still have faith that this delay is because of VZWs rethinking of wifi, especially given RIMs new TV service.... wishful thinking? I think its logical thinking! But, I definitely can be wrong
    05-04-09 01:14 PM
    I never thought about that and wonder myself if a wifi blackberry would receive data during a call (given it was connected thru wifi, e.g. at home/work). I guess no one really knows since there's never been a blackberry with wifi.

Anyone know this info from test devices or from other wifi PDAs on CDMA?
    Theoretically it should work. The WiFi does not use the same radio as the one used for the phone call. The reason why you have voice and data on GSM is because of the separate radios for voice and data, so I would assume if there are separate radios for WiFi and the phone radio then you could.
    05-04-09 01:15 PM
    We're thinking on the same page. Did we just add another reason for needing wifi???
    05-04-09 01:18 PM
    Yes, WiFi allows for both. You can use the mobile network for talking and WiFi for data. I still haven't come across a reason to use it tho. And there are several BBs with WiFi: 8120,8320,8820, 8900, 9000 and 9500 I believe. EDIT: And since CX posted after me and didn't correct me I'll say those must be right.

Last edited by gregerator; 05-04-09 at 06:48 PM.
    05-04-09 01:28 PM
    yea but complainers would have no leg to stand on since it would be an option that is used only "when needed." If your using wifi that much that your draining your battery, then that makes it even more of an argument that we desire it!
    I agree with this, but complainers would still complain, even if it's a option that they weren't even required to use. lol.
    05-04-09 01:39 PM
    I agree with this, but complainers would still complain, even if it's a option that they weren't even required to use. lol.
    Yep..... Never fails...
    05-04-09 01:49 PM

one of the things I dont understand is pretty simple....

you have people say why put wi-fi who cares about wi-fi..

Depending on what you do wi-fi can be very useful

my question is

If there is room for it and its feasible WHY LIMIT IT!

its easy for someone to just not use it but its impossible for someone to use it if its not there

I my big reason would be to remote control servers and such which over current cell networks is not the greatest experience

just my 2 cents
    05-05-09 05:33 PM
    one of the things I dont understand is pretty simple....

If there is room for it and its feasible WHY LIMIT IT!

just my 2 cents
    the million dollar question
    05-05-09 06:24 PM
    personally, I think there's a link between forced data plans and no wifi in a blackberry. Even though a data plan will be requirded across smart phone lines, it all started with blackberries first! And of course, blackberries miraculously are the ones with no wifi so you do the math. Also, I think VZW loves making money off their global plans and with wifi in their traveling blackberries, they know we would never get them and just receive data whenever a wifi signal was available overseas; which in most travel spots (hotels/resorts/big cities) is usually available.

So if you add a free way to get data, then VZW can't justify their forced data plan and global plan to their customers. As for why all CDMA carriers are wifiless.... I think once the biggest CDMA carrier required a blackberry designed from the ground up without wifi, it would of cost too much for them to redesign and make the various models needed to satisfy this feature.

Its speculation but since the only argument to my line of thought is "then why do all CDMA carriers not have it" this is the logical reasoning. Because as we know already, we've already debunked the idea of the wifi chip not fitting as well as the idea that it does not work with CDMA radios.... So if you follow the reasoning, you end up with my opinion above
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 05-05-09 at 06:40 PM.
    05-05-09 06:36 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD