I love my tour, but there appears to be no simple way to keep it from making sounds aloud.

Goal: I want a way to keep the phone from making ANY sounds aloud. I shouldn't need to explain why this would be handy (meetings, on the bus, etc.)

The sound profiles that come with the phone do NOT do this. Vibrate Only, Silent, Phone Calls Only, etc., even a custom one I made, do not keep the phone from making sounds at certain points.

The two dedicated buttons at the top of the phone do not do this either. The right button, standby mode, still allows calls through! I used it at a meeting, and it rang anyway when a call came through. Wow.

Some unwanted sounds that I can't seem to suppress with a global no-sounds option:

-GPS voice. Sometimes I reach my destination and don't close the app properly and then I get inside, turn my phone to vibrate only, and then, embarrassingly, blares, "CANNOT GET GPS SIGNAL IN THIS AREA". Lame.

-Clock alarm. This thing seems to go off no matter what. None of the sound profiles keep this from going off, even my custom one.

-Odd dial tone sound. Sometimes when a call is cut off, there is this system sound.

Is there a way to keep my phone from making ALL OUTWARD SOUNDS with a single global option?
    10-11-09 08:31 PM
    I keep the Tour on "Silent" mode almost exclusively. That should quiet everything except your alarm.

The GPS voice thing probably needs to be changed within the app itself, I'm sure it's a setting, but I've never used the app.

The clock alarm.....turn off??

Dial tone sound--never heard of this before.
    10-11-09 08:40 PM
    wow I mean I have the same problem but what you have to do is turn ALL ALERTS OFF! If this doesnt work I would get another phone cause yours might be mesed up or something
    10-11-09 08:41 PM
    What is the difference between "Silent" and "All alerts off"? Seems to me it would be the exact same thing.
    10-11-09 09:39 PM
    What is the difference between "Silent" and "All alerts off"? Seems to me it would be the exact same thing.
    I believe silent is for phone calls and text messages only.
    10-11-09 09:51 PM
    I would also advise you to check if any of your contacts have custom alerts, and what the volume is set for those alerts. I believe that if you have any number set for custom alerts for contacts, it overrides your profile.

Probably not your issue, but it is worth a look at least!
    10-11-09 10:11 PM
    Yea try All Alerts Off, that should make everything silenced. If its within an app, you probably have to do it via a setting in that.
    10-11-09 10:13 PM
    I love my tour, but there appears to be no simple way to keep it from making sounds aloud.

Goal: I want a way to keep the phone from making ANY sounds aloud. I shouldn't need to explain why this would be handy (meetings, on the bus, etc.)

The sound profiles that come with the phone do NOT do this. Vibrate Only, Silent, Phone Calls Only, etc., even a custom one I made, do not keep the phone from making sounds at certain points.

The two dedicated buttons at the top of the phone do not do this either. The right button, standby mode, still allows calls through! I used it at a meeting, and it rang anyway when a call came through. Wow.

Some unwanted sounds that I can't seem to suppress with a global no-sounds option:

-GPS voice. Sometimes I reach my destination and don't close the app properly and then I get inside, turn my phone to vibrate only, and then, embarrassingly, blares, "CANNOT GET GPS SIGNAL IN THIS AREA". Lame.

-Clock alarm. This thing seems to go off no matter what. None of the sound profiles keep this from going off, even my custom one.

-Odd dial tone sound. Sometimes when a call is cut off, there is this system sound.

Is there a way to keep my phone from making ALL OUTWARD SOUNDS with a single global option?

oh god..that happened to me..i was sitting in class my teacher is lecturing and its like ***DING DING DING YOU NOw hAVE CELL COVERAGE IN THis AREA"****

omg i wanted to leave class for the whole day so i know how u feel
    10-11-09 10:40 PM
    What application do you have that does that? Never heard of that one

Now if it said "***Ding ding ding...you now have won 1,000,000 dollars***", i wouldnt wanna silence that for nething

oh god..that happened to me..i was sitting in class my teacher is lecturing and its like ***DING DING DING YOU NOw hAVE CELL COVERAGE IN THis AREA"****

omg i wanted to leave class for the whole day so i know how u feel
    10-12-09 12:04 AM
    What application do you have that does that? Never heard of that one

Now if it said "***Ding ding ding...you now have won 1,000,000 dollars***", i wouldnt wanna silence that for nething
    gps.(sprint telenav) F***ker :[

oh shish if it did that id run away screaming doing cartwheels all the way home lol
    10-12-09 12:19 AM
    Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate it. I really do have a problem with the mindset behind certain types of replies as if it is my job as the user to go to all applications and make sure they are set up to be silent whenever I want to go into a meeting. That is absurd.

On computers and televisions, there are GLOBAL MUTE options that SILENCE the speakers. That has been a common theme of sound-producing electronics since their inception, and it is a design flaw that the blackberry does not have a global mute option. It is not my job as a user to turn all sounds off for all applications individually. All Alerts Off and Silent profiles do NOT turn all sounds off. Sometimes I set a clock alarm in the afternoon to alert me when a parking meter is about to expire. If there was a global mute option, I would not have to worry about making sure that alert is changed back to 6AM. That is an undue burden on the user that could easily be prevented with a global mute option. So far I have seen no sustainable arguments in this thread for why there was no global mute option included in my expensive "smart" phone.
    10-12-09 12:21 AM
    My phone never makes a sound. And the alarm never goes off because I don't set it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-12-09 01:03 AM
    So if u want the phone to make NO sounds at all, then ill assume that you are not worried about being notified of calls/txts/emails in a meeting ect... Then why not just turn your phone off?

10-12-09 01:28 AM
    I would think that turning the radio off would take care of all sounds but the alarm
    10-12-09 01:41 AM
    I don't understand why you'd set an alarm, but not want to know when it was the time you set the alarm for? I keep my phone on either silent for vibrate, but I'd be pissed if I set an alarm, and then didn't get actually notified when it was the time for that alarm. If I was going to be in a meeting, I just wouldn't set the alarm.

You're phone is "smart" because it assumes that if you set an alarm, you actually care about getting alerted to it, and it doesn't allow itself to be overridden on accident.

You say that this has been a global option on sound producing tech forever, but not on alarm clocks. You have to actually turn the alarm off.

10-12-09 06:30 AM
    I don't understand why you'd set an alarm, but not want to know when it was the time you set the alarm for?
    I wondered the same...
    10-12-09 08:29 AM
    I don't understand why you'd set an alarm, but not want to know when it was the time you set the alarm for?
    This is the kind of absolute garbage logic that is plaguing this forum. Yes, the blackberry is smart, but why does RIM assume that it is SMARTER THAN THE USER?

If I want my phone to SHUT UP, then there is a good reason for it. If I want it to not make an outward sound, then there is absolutely no reason why it SHOULD make an outward sound.

"Excuse me, Mr. User, I know you wanted me to shut up but, um, I think you may have made a mistake, so, here is the alarm anyway!"

Do I really have to give an example of why I would not want my phone to be quiet without turning it all the way off? Do I seriously have to do this? Are you people drinking the RIM kool-aid so much that I have to do this?

EXAMPLE: Let's say I am in a meeting, and want to KNOW whether or not I am receiving a call or a text or if my alarm is going off, but I don't want a SOUND to occur.

Anybody who has ever been in a meeting, a waiting room, a classroom, a sporting event, a movie theater, a restaurant, or a brothel UNDERSTANDS THIS.

There is another situation that I forgot to mention. I was listing to Pandora radio with HEADPHONES on a public bus. I received a call, and then ignored the call. Well, the blackberry decided to output the Pandora audio to the speaker! What is the reason for this? I had to pull the battery.

************************************************** *******************************************
    IF YOU READ NOTHING ELSE IN THIS POST, READ THIS:

There is absolutely no way that a RIM fan boy kool-aid wonk can respond to what I am about to say with anything less than twisted agoraphobic psychosis: WHY IS THERE NO OPTION TO SIMULTANEOUSLY KEEP MY BLACKBERRY TOUR ON WHILE ALSO ENSURING IT WILL NOT EMIT SOUND FROM THE SPEAKER?

************************************************** *******************************************
    10-13-09 12:26 AM
    Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate it. I really do have a problem with the mindset behind certain types of replies as if it is my job as the user to go to all applications and make sure they are set up to be silent whenever I want to go into a meeting. That is absurd.

On computers and televisions, there are GLOBAL MUTE options that SILENCE the speakers. That has been a common theme of sound-producing electronics since their inception, and it is a design flaw that the blackberry does not have a global mute option. It is not my job as a user to turn all sounds off for all applications individually. All Alerts Off and Silent profiles do NOT turn all sounds off. Sometimes I set a clock alarm in the afternoon to alert me when a parking meter is about to expire. If there was a global mute option, I would not have to worry about making sure that alert is changed back to 6AM. That is an undue burden on the user that could easily be prevented with a global mute option. So far I have seen no sustainable arguments in this thread for why there was no global mute option included in my expensive "smart" phone.
    Try vibrate. Works for me. : )

10-13-09 12:32 AM
    silent turns sounds off, all alerts off is the same except it won't have a LED flash to alert you a missed call/text/email. That's the difference.
    10-13-09 12:57 AM
    I've discovered that if you have your profile set to anything other than 'normal' you can not expect your sounds settings to act as expected. I've also found that ALL ALERTS OFF works as expected - totally silent for everything.
    10-13-09 01:06 AM
    This thread is the funniest one I've seen yet. She's asking for help and then blowing up on everyone and insulting them...lmbo.

A multifunctional device may not be your cup of tea so I would suggest you look into purchasing a regular cell phone as this one seems to be making you a little bit uptight.
    10-13-09 02:17 AM
    "Excuse me, Mr. User, I know you wanted me to shut up but, um, I think you may have made a mistake, so, here is the alarm anyway!"
    This reminds me of the overly spunky, yet totally cute or hot anime girl with the somewhat ditzy demeanor that you can't help but forgive due to her overall niceness. Even though she's a complete dummy, you just gotta love her!
    Last edited by vdelvec; 10-13-09 at 02:49 AM.
    10-13-09 02:46 AM
    We have enough ammo to start a TV show called, "Are you smarter than a BlackBerry?" If the producers lack interest, maybe we can start a thread here on CB. ...oh, darn, why can't I ever be the first to come up with a good idea?
    10-13-09 09:43 AM
    Thank you for all of your comments. All Alerts Off does not turn off the alarm nor the GPS.

There is absolutely no way that anybody is going to convince me that I am absurd for wanting a Global Mute option.

That can not happen.

The phone needs a Global Mute, and that is all there is to it.

If you do not agree, then one of the following is true for yourself:

1) You work for RIM and don't want to make more work for yourself

2) You work for RIM and were responsible for the design flaw and must re-frame the problem as a user's responsibility in order to save your job

3) You have no professional or outside-the-home responsibilities that would require you to have your phone on silent WITHOUT turning it off

4) You are so entranced by your device that you engage in cognitive dissonance, resulting in a paradoxical justification for the design flaw as instead a useful FEATURE. (I recommend therapy).

Instead of responding with a baseless justification for this design flaw, please just post the above number associated with your situation. Thanks in advance!!!!!!!
    10-13-09 07:27 PM
    GPS thing is your own fault. Shut down the app or change the settings within the app.

Alarm is an alarm for a reason. If an alarm were meant to be overridden, it wouldn't be doing it's job.

4, I guess.
    10-13-09 07:34 PM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD