My work place prohibits personal phone use or calls, but my boss knows that as a single mom, my kids must be able to get in touch with me. I've set up custom profiles for "Phone calls only" or "Phone&Text only" etc.... but I know on my boyfriend's Curve he is able to set his phone to ONLY ring if his daughter calls.

I cannot find the way to do this on the Tour. Help, please?
    05-18-10 10:06 AM
    Under Profiles choose set Contact alert
    05-18-10 10:08 AM
    OK...so if I set all of my other "contact alerts" (friends/family w/ custom ringtones) to "Active Profile" and then set my Son and my Daughter to "Always" under phone ringing -- then that should do it?
    Do I have to go into EVERY contact in my whole list and change their phone profile to active profile?
    Thanks,
    h
    05-18-10 10:26 AM
    Here's another option for you that might be easier (though it will cost you a few dollars).

Keep your ring profiles as they are. Then, purchase Berry Buzz, which let's you use custom colors/sequences on the LED based on contacts (and plenty of other situations).

Once you have that, and once you have your ringers set the way you had them originally, you can just put your phone on vibrate and then set an LED contact alert. Phone stays in vibrate (or silent if you choose), and then you would see the LEDs that you set for your kids.
    05-18-10 12:04 PM
    Color ID has a free version that lets you set specific LED colors for two contacts that you could try. When your kids call or text, your LED will flash as specified.
    05-18-10 12:10 PM
    Assign ring tones and alerts to a contact

You can receive different ring tones and alerts for incoming messages and calls from specific contacts or groups of contacts. When you receive a call or message from the contact, your device uses the assigned ring tone or alert, even if you switch your sound profile to Silent or Vibrate Only. If you do not want to be notified with the assigned ring tone or alert, you can set your sound profile to All Alerts Off.

1. On the Home screen, click the Sounds icon.
    2. Click Set Contact Alerts.
    3. Click Add Contact Alert.
    4. Press the Menu key.
    5. Click Add Name.
    6. Click a contact.
    7. To add additional contacts, repeat steps 3 to 5.
    8. Click the application or item that you want to change.
    9. Change the ring tone or alert information.
    10. Press the Menu key.
    11. Click Save.

* Regardless of profile that is active if you set it up to make a noise it will...
    05-18-10 12:18 PM
    Assign ring tones and alerts to a contact

You can receive different ring tones and alerts for incoming messages and calls from specific contacts or groups of contacts. When you receive a call or message from the contact, your device uses the assigned ring tone or alert, even if you switch your sound profile to Silent or Vibrate Only. If you do not want to be notified with the assigned ring tone or alert, you can set your sound profile to All Alerts Off.

1. On the Home screen, click the Sounds icon.
    2. Click Set Contact Alerts.
    3. Click Add Contact Alert.
    4. Press the Menu key.
    5. Click Add Name.
    6. Click a contact.
    7. To add additional contacts, repeat steps 3 to 5.
    8. Click the application or item that you want to change.
    9. Change the ring tone or alert information.
    10. Press the Menu key.
    11. Click Save.

* Regardless of profile that is active if you set it up to make a noise it will...
    Maybe I'm doing something wrong or I'm misreading your post ... If I have a custom ring assigned to a contact and "Active_Profile" selected for the custom alert, then there will be no alert if the sound profile is set to silent or vibrate. I have to change the volume from "Active_Profile" to an actual volume level in order to get an alert. And by changing it, it ignores the sound profile setting. This is what I believe the OP wants.

So, set the custom ring/alert for the contact and change the volume to something other than "Active_Profile". And then when at work, change the sound profile to silent or vibrate or whatever is appropriate for you. You can also toggle quickly between sound profiles when arriving/leaving work by pressing and holding the "Q" button.
    05-18-10 03:07 PM
    OK...so if I set all of my other "contact alerts" (friends/family w/ custom ringtones) to "Active Profile" and then set my Son and my Daughter to "Always" under phone ringing -- then that should do it?
    Do I have to go into EVERY contact in my whole list and change their phone profile to active profile?
    Thanks,
    h
    I think this is your solution, but you don't have to change every other contact. It defaults to "Active Profile". So you just need to change the ones that would be different -- in this case, you son and daughter.
    05-18-10 03:08 PM
    She should not have to purchase or install anp app. It can all be done with in the menus in contacts and alerts/profiles...

Just select the sound profile you use at work,silent or vibrate, then go into contacts and choose edit on your daughter and edit the ring tone options...
    Last edited by dave3825us; 05-18-10 at 05:35 PM.
    05-18-10 05:32 PM
    dave3825us has it correct.
    Leave the default as silent or vibrate and then set a custom profile for the user you want to "ring through".

I have my wife and daughter set to always ring.
    05-18-10 05:45 PM
    When I have my profile on "silent" the ring still comes through but the texts don't. Anyone know if its possible to alert in texts even when its on silent?
    05-20-10 11:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD