I purchased a domain name, and I'm having trouble setting up my Tour to receive emails directly from the new domain. I set up email forwarding so that the emails get routed to my Gmail account (that's the only way I could figure out how to actually get the emails - I assume they have to go through a server?)

I would like to set it up as a new email account on my Tour so that I don't get the "sent on behalf of" when I reply via Gmail. Do you know any way to do this? When I try to simply add a new email account on the Tour, it prompts me for a password and email server. All I did was purchase the domain name, so there is no password or email server. Thoughts?
    11-10-09 10:21 PM
    use the email setup wizard...you should be able to add multiple email addys to come into your phones mailbox
    11-10-09 10:22 PM
    Thanks for the quick response. Yeah, that's exactly what I tried to do. Went to Email Settings, logged into BIS, clicked on Add an existing account, then chose Other. It then prompts me for a password? Not sure why. All I have is a purchased domain name. I even put in a made-up password to see if I can continue, but no good...
    11-10-09 10:29 PM
    It is asking for your password to your email account I believe. Try that.
    11-10-09 10:31 PM
    DId you set up the email for the domain yet? A domain name doesn't give you automatic email, you still have to go into your hosts management tools and setup email accounts. That's when you will set a passwrord that you device is asking for. If you already set up an email and are forwarding it to a Gmail account, then you need the password for your Gmail account for the device.
    11-10-09 10:36 PM
    That's the thing, there is no password. I went to Moniker.com (same idea as GoDaddy.com) and purchased a domain name. That's pretty much it. No passwords. There is an email forwarding option which I added so that they go to my Gmail account. I'm hoping there's a way to get emails directly to my BB without them having to be forwarded to my Gmail account. Does this make any sense?
    11-10-09 10:37 PM
    DId you set up the email for the domain yet? A domain name doesn't give you automatic email, you still have to go into your hosts management tools and setup email accounts. That's when you will set a passwrord that you device is asking for. If you already set up an email and are forwarding it to a Gmail account, then you need the password for your Gmail account for the device.

This guy is right.
    11-10-09 10:42 PM
    That's the thing, there is no password. I went to Moniker.com (same idea as GoDaddy.com) and purchased a domain name. That's pretty much it. No passwords. There is an email forwarding option which I added so that they go to my Gmail account. I'm hoping there's a way to get emails directly to my BB without them having to be forwarded to my Gmail account. Does this make any sense?
    Like I said...purchasing a domain name and adding forwarding does not setup and email account. Go back to the site and set up the emails. If you have forwarding then you will need to set up an email address that it forwards...like newmail(at)mynewdmonain.com and it will forward it to your Gmail then you set your device to retrieve the Gmail. If you want emails to the domain to go direct to the device you will need to purchase a mailbox not forwarding. Either way, from what you are saying you have not set up any emails to retrieve yet.
    11-10-09 10:42 PM
    Thanks, that makes sense. So if I want emails from the domain to go directly to my device, then I need to purchase a mailbox from the same place I purchased the domain name? I'm searching all over Moniker.com and can't find a thing about purchasing a mailbox...
    11-10-09 10:49 PM
    Thanks, that makes sense. So if I want emails from the domain to go directly to my device, then I need to purchase a mailbox from the same place I purchased the domain name? I'm searching all over Moniker.com and can't find a thing about purchasing a mailbox...
    Can't help ya there..I don't know anything about them, I host on GoDaddy. Although a quick glance at the site leads me to believe they do not offer email hosting so your only option through them is to set up an email that forwards to your Gmail then have your device retrieve your Gmail.
    Last edited by barbwyr; 11-10-09 at 10:58 PM.
    11-10-09 10:53 PM
    Thanks for your help. I'll dig around their site some more.
    11-10-09 10:58 PM
    Thanks for your help. I'll dig around their site some more.
    See my edit^^
    11-10-09 10:59 PM
    I have a domain name from GoDaddy and have a free email with that domain name. I go to GoDaddy and sign in with my username and password, then select mail. It has my email settings there for me to set up the email. Hope that helps??? You should be able to get your email settings from the domain.
    11-10-09 11:03 PM
    Doh! Well that makes more sense. And yes, that is what I am currently doing (forwarding to my Gmail account). Now I just need to figure out a way to get the "sent on behalf" response that Gmail adds after ever reply! Thanks again
    11-10-09 11:03 PM
    I have a domain name from GoDaddy and have a free email with that domain name. I go to GoDaddy and sign in with my username and password, then select mail. It has my email settings there for me to set up the email. Hope that helps??? You should be able to get your email settings from the domain.
    Thanks. Apparantly Moniker is not quite as user friendly as GoDaddy...
    11-10-09 11:05 PM
    From what I see, the monkier only has Email Forwarding
    11-10-09 11:13 PM
    How about setting up Google Apps for your Domain? GAFYD gives you a 7GB inbox (yeah, 7 gigs) plus all the other Google stuff you've come to love and fear. It's pretty simple to migrate a domain to Google; they provide step-by-step instructions for you. As long as you can change server settings (most domain providers allow this) you can essentially get GMail for your domain.

Check out Sign up for Google Apps for more details. I'm not an owner; just a satisfied customer :-)

I also found a quick tutorial on how to set up Moniker to allow GAFYD: Change CNAME record at Moniker.com for Google Apps
    Last edited by Manevitch; 11-11-09 at 06:25 AM. Reason: Added tutorial URL
    11-11-09 06:22 AM
    How about setting up Google Apps for your Domain? GAFYD gives you a 7GB inbox (yeah, 7 gigs) plus all the other Google stuff you've come to love and fear. It's pretty simple to migrate a domain to Google; they provide step-by-step instructions for you. As long as you can change server settings (most domain providers allow this) you can essentially get GMail for your domain.

Check out Sign up for Google Apps for more details. I'm not an owner; just a satisfied customer :-)

I also found a quick tutorial on how to set up Moniker to allow GAFYD: Change CNAME record at Moniker.com for Google Apps
    Thanks so much for your help! You know, I've heard of Google Apps but thought it was a pay service for small businesses. I followed most of these instructions but keep getting stuck on the Moniker side when I try to change the CNAME record. I keep getting an Invalid IP Address error. I'm using the string Google Apps sent me and add .google.com to it. Still not working. Any ideas?
    11-11-09 08:33 AM
    Thanks so much for your help! You know, I've heard of Google Apps but thought it was a pay service for small businesses. I followed most of these instructions but keep getting stuck on the Moniker side when I try to change the CNAME record. I keep getting an Invalid IP Address error. I'm using the string Google Apps sent me and add .google.com to it. Still not working. Any ideas?
    No idea - I don't use Moniker. But if I had to guess I'd say you're getting stuck at step 9 in the second document. You're not appending google.com to the end of the string; you're appending your own domain name. and pointing it to google.com. It appears that the tutorial document is a little misleading in that regard.
    11-11-09 12:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD