Okay, so I have like 100 mb of memory, I install 5.0 over wireless update today for verizon and now I have like 40 mb of memory. Which is not enough. I know the OS wasn't that big. It has to have 4.7 still on there right? How do I delete those files? Why didn't it delete it before? Or did it create some kind of backup file on my phone when I did the wireless update? I didn't do it through DDM. Please help because I don't have enough memory to get a bunch of apps anymore because I went to 5.0
    04-01-10 08:22 PM
    100mb? You should have 256 and about 100 or so free after the os is installed. I have about 15 apps and have 118mb free.

Try doing a batt pull and see how much you have free after that..

The only real way to rid the phone completely of 4.7 is to wipe the phone with bbsak and reload the os with loader.exe.
    There are programs like crack mem, bbsak and crack util, but with out knowing exactly what you can and can not delete is dangerous..
    Last edited by dave3825us; 04-01-10 at 08:29 PM.
    04-01-10 08:25 PM
    100mb? You should have 256 and about 100 or so free after the os is installed. I have about 15 apps and have 118mb free.

Try doing a batt pull and see how much you have free after that..

The only real way to rid the phone completely of 4.7 is to wipe the phone with bbsak and reload the os with loader.exe.
    There are programs like crack mem, bbsak and crack util, but with out knowing exactly what you can and can not delete is dangerous..
    Well I mean I had 100 mb left after all my apps and everything with 4.7. 100 mb free with probably about 18 apps. Now I have the same amount of apps and 5.0 and have 40 mb free or so.

Can you link me and tell me how to do all of this?
    04-01-10 08:47 PM
    ... It has to have 4.7 still on there right?...
    ...The only real way to rid the phone completely of 4.7 is to wipe the phone with bbsak and reload the os with loader.exe...
    If you installed 5.0, you don't still have 4.7 installed. Loader.exe does the wipe that dave is referring to automatically. Something else may be wrong, but you don't have both OS versions installed.
    04-01-10 09:13 PM
    My memory was extremely limited after the 5.0 update as well. Did a battery pull and about 15 minutes afterwards my memory jumped from the measily 37megs back up to 80+.
    04-01-10 09:33 PM
    I've done two battery pulls. I'm not saying I have 4.7 installed. I'm saying maybe the files are still on there? I did a wireless update to do it. Usually I do it with DM
    04-01-10 09:40 PM
    OTA OS updates aren't available on my BES, so I don't have any experience with them. You could try wiping and reinstalling from your PC. You'll have to wipe now, because the loader will see that 5.0 is already installed and won't install it again.
    04-01-10 09:44 PM
    OTA OS updates aren't available on my BES, so I don't have any experience with them. You could try wiping and reinstalling from your PC. You'll have to wipe now, because the loader will see that 5.0 is already installed and won't install it again.
    But I'm already on 5.0. So it won't install it again?
    04-01-10 09:46 PM
    But I'm already on 5.0. So it won't install it again?
    No, the loader won't install again unless it sees a different OS version than what's on the device. You'll have to wipe the OS off the device, or install 4.7.1.61 on your PC. If you install 4.7.1.61, the loader will install it. Then you can install 5.0. Or you can wipe the OS off completely and the loader will install 5.0 without you first having to install 4.7. The only thing you can't do is install 5.x.y.z on top of 5.x.y.z. The loader won't permit that.
    04-01-10 09:51 PM
    Its not a 123 deal and if u are not familiar you should read up. It is NOT hard; it just takes a little getting used to.

This is how I do it. Others do it differently. This works for me and its all info I have read here on crack berry.. If you are not comfortable or good with computers do not attempt this or read up on this further.

First u back up your data via desktop manager. Plug in your phone, choose Back up and restore, then back up.

Then download bbsak and install it. bbsak is used to back up your third party apps.(stuff you downloaded)

Run bbsak and choose back up apps.

Now you need to download an OS and install it on your PC. Make sure you have no other black berry OS software on your PC.
    5.0.0.591 from Verizon here
    5.0.0.419 from here Just pick 9630.
    5.0.0.484 from here Just pick 9630.

Then download and install a hybrid if you like. Driphter's hybrids are an exe that you install and it replaces the files in the os with the hybrid files.

This next step is only if you want to shrink the OS by deleting stuff like default videos and stuff like that. This will increase your free space after the install. Should you not want to do this, you can skip this step

Download shrink a os here and install it. shrink OS write up.

Now you should have your data backed up, your third party apps backed up, shrink a os, bbsak, and an os installed all installed.

If you want to run a hybrid, download that and install it also. Usually the install right over the base os but some hybrids require you to swap the java folders. Check the install directions that come with the hybrid.

Double check that you backed up your data and apps. Check your device memory and make sure you have nothing you want to keep on the device.

Now if you want to shrink the os, load shrink os and on the top hit browse and navigate to this path C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\your os folder here If your using vista or win 7 the path will be different. After it sees your os, it will show you the folder size before shrink on the right. if it does then check all the stuff you do not want and click shrink my os. You just reduce the size of the os gaining you some extra space.

Load up bbsak and click kill processes, then once its done click wipe device. When it says wipe complete, click load OS, and when your pin shows up, click next. This will load loader.exe and should prompt you to upgrade to 5.0 OS software. Go thru and check the stuff you want to load like application center and all that stuff. When it completes, the phone will reboot and the bar will stop around the half way mark. This is normal and it will continue.

Just a note about bbsak, it will say its done doing what ever usually before its actually done. push your space bar and if your home screen is up then bbsak is done.

Once its up and running, do a few batt pulls. This also registers you with the network and all your email accounts and pushed content usually appears after this. Some times you need to enable your mobile network.

Now that your OS is up and running, you can restore your third party apps by loading bbsak and clicking install cods. Navigate to where your back up folder is, c/program files/bbsak/backup. In vista its in like x86 or something. Click the first app and hold in ctrl and click the rest you want and click open. Some people recommend doing only a few apps at a time but I have always done my usual 10 - 15 in one shot with no adverse affects. If you want to do one or 2 at a time, just repeat the process till you load all your apps.

Now as far as your dm back up, follow these steps and to do a manual restore. Your back up contains stuff you do not actually want in your new OS like old app permissions and stuff like that.

In the backup/restore option, there should be an "advanced" option/button to select. After it opens, there will be 2 windows. The one on the right is what’s on the phone. On the left window, click file, open, and load your back up. In the left window scroll to what you want, you only want your important stuff like calendar, sms, mms, bbmesenger, passwords, memos etc etc. you do not want everything, just the important stuff. If you later realize you are missing something, you can repeat this process.

Hold control and click on the items you want and highlight them, then hit the arrow pointing right that’s in the middle of the 2 windows. It will overwrite the data on the phone..

Do a final batt pull and enjoy.
    Last edited by dave3825us; 04-26-10 at 09:25 AM.
    04-01-10 09:54 PM
    Okay for some reason the BBSAK wouldn't do anything. It connected my device. I'd click wipe device and it'd say complete! instantly. Did nothing. So I wiped it on my device in the options. Then I go to restore my apps with it and it says RESTORED! instantly and didnt restore any so I had to download them all again.

But regardless.... I got it wiped and started it over. YET the memory problem is still there but oh well. I got like 60mb left now. I guess I'll just have to deal with that. Kind of a pain. But it was pretty cool to start fresh with the device. Took a long time to download everything again though.

5.0 is pretty flawless except for the clicking issue in the browser. I had tried 5.0.0.419 before the official one was released and hated it. My SMS would just lock up if there were too many messages in the thread and wouldn't let me open it. It was very annoying. Way too many problems. Random ringtones going off everywhere.

With the official release everything except the browser click issue is working perfectly. I've had over 200 messages in a thread and it hasn't froze.
    04-02-10 03:09 AM
    Okay for some reason the BBSAK wouldn't do anything. It connected my device. I'd click wipe device and it'd say complete! instantly. Did nothing. So I wiped it on my device in the options. Then I go to restore my apps with it and it says RESTORED! instantly and didnt restore any so I had to download them all again.

But regardless.... I got it wiped and started it over. YET the memory problem is still there but oh well. I got like 60mb left now.
    Did the screen change on your tour when you wiped? The complete message does pop up quickly. Also I said how to restore the apps by choosing install cods, you chose restore apps. There was no need at all to download them all again.

If you follow what I wrote and it all works correctly, you will have more than 60mb free when done and wont have to download your apps again..

Did you run shrink os? How much did it shrink?
    04-02-10 08:34 AM
    Did the screen change on your tour when you wiped? The complete message does pop up quickly. Also I said how to restore the apps by choosing install cods, you chose restore apps. There was no need at all to download them all again.

If you follow what I wrote and it all works correctly, you will have more than 60mb free when done and wont have to download your apps again..

Did you run shrink os? How much did it shrink?
    I did everything you said except shrink the OS. The BBSAK wouldn't do anything. It backed up my apps I even went and checked where it did. But then when I tried to restore them it wouldn't. It would say it did and it was complete but it didn't. I've already did it all again anyway.

When I woke up this morning I went to respond to a text and my phone locked up. Wouldn't do anything. I waited like 20 minutes. Still wouldn't do anything. Just totally froze. Did a battery pull and it fixed it.

Atleast this version of 5.0 runs smoother than the 419 or whatever it was I had from Alltel on there before. That one had so many glitches I had to go back to 4.7. This one doesn't seem to mess with me all that much. So, I'm keeping it.

I guess I'll just have to deal with not having as much memory. They really should have put more memory than that on the tour anyway. I think the new one coming out has like 2 gb or something doesn't it? I already have all the apps I use so it should be cool. If I get more apps it won't be many so I should have enough space.
    04-02-10 02:50 PM
    Are you running BBSAK on Vista or Windows 7? If so, you will need to run it as administrator or it won't do anything...
    04-02-10 05:01 PM
    I had the same problem and only have 6 apps running on my phone. I was down to about 55 on memory. That was until yesterday, today I have 91 it seems that over the couple of days and the regular battery pulls it righted itself. I wonder if it had to "index" itself for lack of better word. battery is better too. I did the OTA download and had the previous verizon 4.7 OS on my phone. I had just gotten a phone replacement a couple of days before the update came in, so I had been waiting to put apps on that I knew might have an issue with the new OS. It's not just you that had this happen but see if it doesn't work it out over the next couple of days.
    04-02-10 08:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD