It seems like there are long delays in getting push hotmail?
    And it also it seems as though if I get to it on the computer and read it, it wont push to the BB thereafter?

Is this normal?
    10-02-09 03:34 PM
    I am having a problem where I can view my hotmail email on my bb and it will not show up on my computer as been opened. But if I delete the email from my bb it will delete it from my hotmail on the computer.
    10-02-09 04:01 PM
    I think the BIS servers 'reach out' to non-IMAP servers every 15 minutes. That explains the delay in Hotmail's delayed push. The fact that you can't receive it on your BB after reading on the PC has to do with whether or not you chose to save on the server after reading on PC. What e-mail client are you using? There should be a setting where you can instruct the client to leave a copy of the e-mail on the server after reading.
    10-02-09 04:39 PM
    I just check through hotmail itself on the PC. I dont even get the emails every 15 min. Sometimes it takes longer I believe. Also sometimes I receive some emails and not others.. very random.

I do have a very very very old hotmail account if that makes any difference.
    10-02-09 05:03 PM
    Age of account is irrelevant. The 15 minute push is an approximation (depends on server's workload). Did you change your client's settings? That should solve your biggest complaint.
    10-02-09 05:08 PM
    Have the same problem I usually get them 1-2 hours late was on verizon for close to an hour trying to figure it out best the lady could say was either forward the emails through another or the next step would be to contact rim, but she wasn't sure what they could do.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-02-09 05:50 PM
    Age of account is irrelevant. The 15 minute push is an approximation (depends on server's workload). Did you change your client's settings? That should solve your biggest complaint.
    What do you mean when you say "did i change my client's settings"
    Setting in the BB or on Hotmail?
    10-02-09 06:02 PM
    ...I usually get them 1-2 hours late...
    I have two POP accounts. Of them, I must say Hotmail is more sluggish. I'm inclined to think the problem is with Hotmail's servers; or maybe, the interface between Hotmail and BB. I think the longest I've ever recorded was 20 minutes.
    10-02-09 06:08 PM
    What do you mean when you say "did i change my client's settings"
    Setting in the BB or on Hotmail?
    How are you viewing Hotmail on the PC? Are you looking at Hotmail on the web, or are you using Outlook or Thunderbird or the like?
    10-02-09 06:10 PM
    How are you viewing Hotmail on the PC? Are you looking at Hotmail on the web, or are you using Outlook or Thunderbird or the like?
    Hotmail via the web.. Sign In
    10-02-09 06:20 PM
    ...it seems as though if I get to it on the computer and read it, it wont push to the BB thereafter...
    If you're not using an e-mail client and you're viewing your mail on the web, that shoots down my 'save on server' theory. I think I'm now more stumped than you. Sorry I couldn't help!
    10-02-09 06:32 PM
    I have two POP accounts. Of them, I must say Hotmail is more sluggish. I'm inclined to think the problem is with Hotmail's servers; or maybe, the interface between Hotmail and BB. I think the longest I've ever recorded was 20 minutes.
    Yeah I'm starting to think it's the interface between hotmail and bb as my gmail gets pushed to my phone right as it's received on my computer. Hopefully they can fix this as it's annoying for me.
    10-02-09 11:36 PM
    Did anybody figure this out?

I keep reading about how Hotmail is now (and has been for the past year) "pushed" to the phone but my phone doesn't get it for 15 minutes or so. Seems like it's still being polled.
    11-10-09 10:22 PM
    Hotmail kinda sucks as far as speed goes. I get my gmail emails within 5-10 seconds of them being sent. I just tested it using my wife's computer to send an email to myself. It took about 8 seconds. Gmail is pretty much one of the best and I've tried almost all the different email services.
    11-10-09 10:27 PM
    My hotmail is instantly pushed. 5 second at the latest.

11-10-09 11:38 PM
    My hotmail is instantly pushed. 5 second at the latest.

Hmm...well that answers that. It's an issue with the OP's phone and not hotmail.
    11-10-09 11:45 PM
    I never once had to wait more then 5 second. I email myself a lot to get wallpapers,pictures and files to my BB. Not sure if its carrier issues or BIS. You have any friends with BB hotmail accnt you can compare with?

11-10-09 11:57 PM
    Hotmail kinda sucks as far as speed goes. I get my gmail emails within 5-10 seconds of them being sent. I just tested it using my wife's computer to send an email to myself. It took about 8 seconds. Gmail is pretty much one of the best and I've tried almost all the different email services.
    Do you just use the standard settings for Gmail with your BB ( default Gmail setting )? I use the IMAP Gmail in which I had to go a roundabout way of setting up on my BB instead of the default and my emails hit my BB anywhere from 1-15 minutes. The way I understood it was that the BB polls the server every 15 minutes until it receives an email, then polls at 3 minutes each for any additional email up to 5 times and if no more email is received in those 3 minute intervals it defaults back to checking every 15 minutes. Does this sound right? That seems to be the case in my situation and I am not sure if that is because of IMAP or if POP does it that way....
    Not sure what the default setting is when you originally set up your email on the BB. Is it POP or IMAP ( when setting up Gmail )...
    Does POP push faster then IMAP?

11-11-09 10:01 AM
    I'm also beginning to realize that my hotmail takes about 10 minutes longer to arrive. That's on average. Gmail seems right on but there's definitely a delay with hotmail.
    12-03-09 05:35 PM
    Hotmail indeed has PUSH and it works very well. Though it isnt push from when it is first added to your BIS.
    First add your hotmail to your BIS. it doesnt matter if you do this from your phone or a computer.
    THEN
    You have to log into your BIS account from a computer, NOT the blackberry mail config client on the phone.
    then, again being logged into your BIS from your computer, click edit on your hotmail accout. There is an option to switch protocol on your hotmail account. This switches it from POP (bad 15 min polling) to IMAP (push).
    Hope that fixes the problem some of you are having.
    Last edited by Zolutar; 12-03-09 at 09:12 PM.
    12-03-09 09:07 PM
    Beautiful. Thanks Zolutar, these forums really are great. I'm new to the BB and this place is really making the experience so much less frustrating and much more enjoyable.
    12-04-09 01:02 PM
    I have done the protocal change. But, I still have consistency issues. Usually, Hotmail will forward new messages almost immediately to my BB. But, sometimes when a new message hits my Hotmail inbox, it will not push to my BB until a second message hits my Hotmail inbox. Then, it will push both at the same time. This happens about once a day.

Any idea why sometimes the push gets delayed?

Hotmail indeed has PUSH and it works very well. Though it isnt push from when it is first added to your BIS.
    First add your hotmail to your BIS. it doesnt matter if you do this from your phone or a computer.
    THEN
    You have to log into your BIS account from a computer, NOT the blackberry mail config client on the phone.
    then, again being logged into your BIS from your computer, click edit on your hotmail accout. There is an option to switch protocol on your hotmail account. This switches it from POP (bad 15 min polling) to IMAP (push).
    12-13-09 09:34 AM
    no idea, but it happens to me as well. A week or so ago there was a 4-hour delay for some reason. Exactly, to the minute, 4 hours. For the whole day. Then the next day it was back to normal. Really weird.
    12-13-09 10:14 AM
    THEN
    Thank you, thank you, thank you. I recently switched devices and email was taking a half hour now it's almost instant. Support tried everything and it would not work, did this then a battery pull and bam! Perfect.

12-13-09 12:33 PM
    This is an extremely old thread I know, but it is a problem I have faced since becoming a blackberry user years ago. The only common thing is I've always been on AT&T the whole time. Sometimes my hotmail comes very quickly, within seconds of receipt. Most of the time it takes hours, sometimes up to 10-12 hours for hotmail to show up on my blackberry. This has been the case for all blackberrys I've owned, from my curve models I've had to bold 9000 to bold 9700. So its not device specific or os, but something on the backend that makes hotmail delivery VERY VERY intermittent and slow. It does always eventually show up, even if I have already read it via the web.
    So, how on earth do you make it pull (or push whatever you want to call it) regularly withing 15 minutes or so? Also, is there a way to explicitly force it to pull emails from your device? There has always been a "Reconcile Now" option, but it is 100% useless as it does nothing - clearly my definition of reconcile now and RIM's is not the same.
    Please if anyone has found a solution to this as its the most persistent major annoyance of my blackberry that has always been there regardless of device.
    Thanks.
    Tony
    05-25-10 02:23 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD