I Just Got Tired Of Looking Through Junk Posts Trying To Find My Answer, I Have A Storm On .151 And Just Want To Know If:

The OFFICAL OS On The Tour From Verizon Is More Stable, More You Know, No Shipped Months Ahead With Glitches Like The Storm.

Thanks In Advance.
    07-23-09 11:52 AM
    The Tour OS runs ok. It's a little sluggish at times but it runs good for a 1st release OS. Of course with any OS, you can optimize it so it'll run better but it's all personal preference.
    07-23-09 11:55 AM
    Every new phone has glitches.. There's a few bugs but no where near what the storm had. Tons of people are very happy they switched from the storm to the Tour
    07-23-09 11:56 AM
    Alright man, this is basically how MY OS is running, and i came from a storm too.

Fast as **** transitions between going to and from applications/photos/messages, etc. No hour glass (ever, if at all), NO memory lag whatsoever, no typing lag, battery life is better IMHO than the storms, amazingly fast browser.

To sum all that up, take the storm OS, supercharge it and make it more stable, and take away all the nonsense touch screen things, and you have the 9630 OS.
    07-23-09 11:58 AM
    Tour's OS blazes out of the box. There is room for improvement, but it blows the Storm's OS out of the water.
    07-23-09 12:01 PM
    Alright man, this is basically how MY OS is running, and i came from a storm too.

Fast as **** transitions between going to and from applications/photos/messages, etc. No hour glass (ever, if at all), NO memory lag whatsoever, no typing lag, battery life is better IMHO than the storms, amazingly fast browser.

To sum all that up, take the storm OS, supercharge it and make it more stable, and take away all the nonsense touch screen things, and you have the 9630 OS.
    Haha, Thanks! Good Way To Put It!
    07-23-09 12:06 PM
    I won't second the battery life comment, I'm actually not thrilled about the battery life. I had major issues originally where it wouldn't even last 8 hours on a charge, but I ended up taking it back to the store and getting a replacement battery and it's done much better. It still gets yellow by 5:00 sometimes, but I get up at 6:00 AM, so that's still like 11 hours, I just have to bring a charger along to work.

As far as the OS though, it's very snappy. It has it's sluggish times, of course, but that's par for the course for any phone, really. It's far and away better than the 8830 OS, and much better than any other smartphone OS I've ever used (Windows Mobile, for example). The interface looks pretty ancient in some places, but at the same time, it's so much more functional and efficient that it easily makes up for those shortcomings.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-23-09 12:17 PM
    Coming from the Storm I would say the stock OS is blazing fast on the Tour. I had the Storm since launch and endured the sluggishness up until now. There was some sluggishness when I first got the phone, but that only lasted a few hours it seemed.

As far as battery life, it is a **** of a lot better than my Storm's was (both of my Storms actually, went through one replacement.)
    07-23-09 12:25 PM
    I came over from the Storm as well and I can say battery life and the OS have been outstanding. I haven't noticed any significant lag, and I've never seen the Hour Glass of doom yet. This phone is so much better out of the box than the Storm was that I'm glad I switched.
    07-23-09 12:30 PM
    I was SERIOUSLY disgusted with the Storm and decided to just get away from it. I called VZW and they sent me a Pearl Flip as a replacement as I had 4 Storms and they all had the same issues. I have to say I LOVE the way this phone runs compared to the Storm. The battery life is better and there is ZERO MEMORY LEAK! I never have to do battery pulls.. how about that???

Here is my thing though, I really miss the screen and media abilities of the Storm. I am now thinking about getting a Tour for that reason. Does it have a memory leak? Would you guys recommend the upgrade? I also miss having the golf GPS program (pearl flip has disabled gps). Input?

-Mike
    07-23-09 12:41 PM
    I am on my tour right now and can tell you that coming from a storm, the tour is like waking up from a nightmare. It is fast, smooth and very responsive. The battery is great and the os is very sleek and much more pleasing to the eye. Sometimes my calls are a bit....hazy but only sometimes and I was out of state the last time that happened. The browser is great too.

Tour ftw!

07-23-09 12:43 PM
    I agree with everyone else coming from a storm the tours IS is lightning fast. I notice a little lag when unlocking my phone but that's about it every other action I perform responds instantly. Also the tour is so stable. My storm would loose like 30+ megs of memory a day the tour hasebt even lost 2megs in the last 4 days. My battery on the tour is also double that of the storms. My storm used 5% battery per hour and my storm is just over 2%. If your thinking about it DO IT get the tour you won't regret it.

07-23-09 01:13 PM
    Out of the box the Tour's 4.7.1 OS dominates the Storm 4.7.0 OS in every way. However, I loaded the leaked Storm 5.0 OS and that is blowing away the Tour now. If I wasn't tired of the virtual keyboard and my Tour wasn't brand new, I'd switch back to the Storm with 5.0 in a NY minute. I hope, hope, hope the 5.0 OS is officially launched before the end of the year for everyone.
    07-23-09 01:16 PM

Honestly? Yes. See above (and I came from a Storm as well)
    07-23-09 01:54 PM
    Ive had just about every berry on verizon. The OS is awesome. No freezing, glitches or freezes. Everything works as soon as you push the command. I am so in love.
    07-23-09 02:15 PM
    Agreed with above positive comments. I beat the bejeezus out of phones, their OS's, etc. I get it to lag *once in a while* from multi-tasking between apps; while I wanted to chuck the Storm across the room when trying to do the same thing.
    07-23-09 02:28 PM
    On 8830, can't wait to get the tour, but now with the 5.0 leaked for the storm & the storm 2 coming in Oct/Nov, I'm thinking twice...
    07-23-09 02:35 PM
    On 8830, can't wait to get the tour, but now with the 5.0 leaked for the storm & the storm 2 coming in Oct/Nov, I'm thinking twice...
    IMO 5.0 or not, the Storm is dead. If you absolutely want a touchscreen, wait ... and hope that the developers figure out how to make it run fast. I had the Storm since day one, as I have with the Tour. The Storm was only a more attractive device, I'm happy and content again on a physical keyboard with lots of power and speed.

</rant>
    07-23-09 02:40 PM
    The Tours OS walks all over the storm. ITS FAST! I came from the storm and can't believe still how fast this OS is on this phone! It amazes me more everyday i play with it, its intense!
    07-23-09 02:44 PM
    IMO 5.0 or not, the Storm is dead. If you absolutely want a touchscreen, wait ... and hope that the developers figure out how to make it run fast. I had the Storm since day one, as I have with the Tour. The Storm was only a more attractive device, I'm happy and content again on a physical keyboard with lots of power and speed.

</rant>
    Agreed. If a leaked version of OS 5.0 is really whats swaying you to try a Storm, I would say that's not enough. 5.0 will be out for the Tour at some point (and probably leaked as well) so I wouldn't base a decision on that.

Having the Storm since day one, I can say that it is certainly more 'flashy', but it isn't for power users. When I was just toying with the Storm it was fine. When I started writing long emails, sending massive amounts of texts and bbms, and trying to multitask a lot, I got extremely frustrated with the Storm ...

If you want an awesome keyboard and an extremely responsive, solid phone, then look for the Tour
    Last edited by dst255; 07-23-09 at 02:48 PM. Reason: clarity
    07-23-09 02:48 PM
    I've had my tour since Launch day and I'll say this, I haven't wanted to throw this phone across a room once. There are only two instances where I have found that the OS lags a little (1-3 seconds).
    When I lock or unlock the keys I get a little bit of lag and the hourglass pops up for about a second.

The second instance is backing out of texas hold'em king 2, it usually lags for about 3 seconds here, but I suspect its due to saving the current game in progress.

Other than that the OS is very fast.
    07-23-09 02:55 PM
    the tour is miles ahead of the storm as far as OS goes...same with the forum too...no more whiny babies
    07-23-09 03:00 PM
    The only issue I have with mine is the large email text bug. Other than that it is running flawlessly. I am very happy.
    07-23-09 03:23 PM
    I haven't had any problems with my Tour. OS isn't sluggish at all. So glad I traded in my POS Storm.

07-23-09 03:26 PM
    I switched on release day of tour from storm was a hair sluggish, my trackball works great battery door is good, and OS seems to be great for most part. I had tried all releases on storm and still had more issues then i do now. I'm overall very happy with it. I optimized and it works great.

07-23-09 03:32 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD