I got a Tour from Verizon a couple of days ago. Everything works great except that I can hear a constant low hum/hissing sound when I'm calling anyone. I did a battery pull but that didn't help. I took it to the store - one of the reps could hear the hum; the other couldn't. I got another replacement but that also has the same problem.

I like this phone and don't want to give it back. Any ideas on how to solve this problem? (short of trying a 3rd Tour...)

Thanks.
    12-15-09 06:48 PM
    I have the same thing but most of the time it goes away after a couple min or so. Don't know what's causing it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-15-09 07:36 PM
    Snakes in a tour...
    12-15-09 07:43 PM
    I hear some white noise when the backlight is on. As the screen dims, the noise goes away.

I rarely have my BB actually up to my ear, so it isn't much of an issue for me.
    12-15-09 08:24 PM
    just got my new one yesterday and it has a high pitched ring until the backlight times out. My wife's does not do this. This is extremely annoying! Off to the US Cell store I go.....
    12-16-09 10:17 AM
    I have the same thing but most of the time it goes away after a couple min or so. Don't know what's causing it.

I think almost every berry that I have had does this. I have had the Pearl, Curve, Storm 1 and 2. I hardly notice it anymore especially when talking.

12-17-09 01:12 AM
    just got my new one yesterday and it has a high pitched ring until the backlight times out. My wife's does not do this. This is extremely annoying! Off to the US Cell store I go.....
    Exactly my problem. Its unusable until the backlight goes off. Its actually hurts its so high pitched!
    12-18-09 08:24 AM
    Exactly my problem. Its unusable until the backlight goes off. Its actually hurts its so high pitched!
    if it's that highpitched I would take it back. Also, you can shorten the time of your backlight being up.
    12-18-09 08:29 AM
    if it's that highpitched I would take it back. Also, you can shorten the time of your backlight being up.
    Waiting on my company to replace it now. I shortened it, but waiting a few seconds before I can put the phone to my ear had people hanging up on me!
    12-18-09 08:31 AM
    same problem! why?
    01-14-10 11:46 PM
    same problem! why?
    I'm not sure what the exact mechanism is, but the circuits for the backlight for the screen sometime generate a sound, usually described as a whine, hiss, or hum.

I have heard of the same problem on other smartphones, like the Palm Treo. It does not happen on every phone, but seems to be more common with certain devices. It can't be fixed. Either it goes away on it's own, or you replace the phone and hope to get one without the problem.
    01-15-10 06:58 AM
    My first Tour had that hissing problem. I took it back for a faulty trackball on that one, but the second one did not have that hissing sound. I dont know what caused it though
    01-15-10 07:05 AM
    I think I hear something kind of similar but it goes away after the call is connected
    01-15-10 09:45 AM
    to me the noise goes away only when you turn off the backlight!
    01-15-10 05:07 PM
    Not sure, but there might be a snake lodged behind the keyboard. Be careful dude.
    01-15-10 06:14 PM
    In electronics theory those are called "birdies." A frequency that just happens to resonate in a way that becomes audible.
    01-16-10 04:06 PM
    is annoying though ...
    01-16-10 06:24 PM
    My only makes noise when the backlight is on!
    01-24-10 04:22 PM
    I had a Samsung something or other from Sprint that made a crackling/hissing sound.. Even when the unit was OFF. So weird. Also made sounds when it was near the DVD player.

01-24-10 05:02 PM
    My 9630 has the same problem right now except mine will not quit making the high pitched noise till i pull the battery but soon as i put it back in it starts again i called US Cellular and they had me stick the tour up to my landline and they agreed that it could be heard. so my new tour is on the way. The US Cellular tech said it was the first time he had heard this issue and was adding it in the system for future references. My wife and i got our tour's on the exact same day and her's does not make the noise so it seems to be a batch of tours that are doing it. anyone know if there is a set of serial # that we may narrow this down to?
    01-24-10 07:17 PM
    I also found a tag on google that indicates that Otterbox defender line could be the culprit but i took it out of the case and it quit for awhile but started again shortly after. Hope this helps.
    01-24-10 07:19 PM
    the noise comes from the display!
    01-25-10 12:45 AM
    Had this issue with my tour so i would just use it on speaker phone majority of the time. Ended up selling it waiting on the Tour 2
    01-25-10 02:12 AM
    I think it is a problem for all!
    01-25-10 02:41 AM
    Evidently a new issue with the Tours. Guess I got mine between the sticky trackball problem and the weird screen hissing problem
    01-25-10 02:45 AM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD