whenever my phone gets low on battery it seems like all of a sudden it just shuts off all of my internet AND phone capabilities.

even when i plug the phone into my car charger it takes FOREVER for the battery to get a little bit of charge. and i just have to wait and wait and wait until i can go back online or even make a phone call.

is there anyway to override this function?
    07-31-09 02:21 AM
    Yeah, keep your battery charged.

Other than that, no.

It does it for good reason. You can permanently damage Li-Ion batteries by letting them drain fully. It shuts off the radio and won't let it come back on until the battery has a sufficent charge to sustain the device's needs. This is for the protection of both your phone and the battery.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-31-09 02:26 AM
    Download

ForceRadioOn

Google it on your BlackBerry. You know how when the battery is at or below 20% and the radio turns off...and you can't turn it on, even though you STILL have 20% battery left? This fixes that. You have to activate it manually, but holy crap is it useful.

07-31-09 03:37 AM
    It does this for a reason. I can't understand how people can't keep their batteries charged. If its that bad, invest in a car charger....

07-31-09 07:08 AM
    07-31-09 09:59 AM
    I've noticed on mine the radio turns off once I hit 5%, but everything was working between 10-20%
    07-31-09 10:14 AM
    It does this for a reason. I can't understand how people can't keep their batteries charged. If its that bad, invest in a car charger....

Sometimes an instance arises when you may have forgot to charge your phone overnight, it has happened to me when I may have woke up one morning and saw that I forgot to put my phone on the charger. Or even if you don't drive, then you would have no car charger. Sometimes it is not a person's intent for this to happen, but it does. And for those times, this feature lets you get the most out of your battery.

ForceRadioOn - Communication & Internet BlackBerry Apps - Crackberry BlackBerry Software Store
    07-31-09 10:18 AM
    I just looked at the ForceRadioOn website and I know that this app will turn the Radio on when the battery gets low. My question is does it turn the Radio off as well, or can someone explain to me how to turn the Radio off on the device manually? Reason I'm asking is that I have found that when the Radio is turned off, my Storm charges much faster. This would be extreemly helpful when my battery is low and need to get a quick charge, yet dont want to turn the device off. Thanks and Happy Friday!
    Last edited by Nakihara; 07-31-09 at 11:34 AM.
    07-31-09 11:25 AM
    I just looked at the ForceRadioOn website and I know that this app will turn the Radio on when the battery gets low. My question is does it turn the Radio off as well, or can someone explain to me how to turn the Radio off on the device manually? Reason I'm asking is that I have found that when the Radio is turned off, my Storm charges much faster. This would be extreemly helpful when my battery is low and need to get a quick charge, yet dont want to turn the device off. Thanks and Happy Friday!
    manage connections turn all radios off
    07-31-09 11:42 AM
    FYI, it's generally not good to let Lithium Ion batteries go below 30% or so. (And you should never fully drain the battery except to recalibrate it when it gets older) Doing so can damage the battery and/or put undo strain on it. If you need more juice you should get an extended or second battery.
    07-31-09 12:09 PM
    I just went to their website to download it (and the link did get sent to my phone), but the site says, "This product is not compatible with 9630 (Tour)".

Have any of you with the Tour installed it? If so, did it work when you needed it, or mess anything up?

Thanks.
    08-01-09 10:12 PM
    Yeah it works on the Tour. I have the Tour, use the Tour, own the Tour and installed it on my Tour.

08-01-09 10:15 PM
    I don't think the app is a good idea, unless you're looking at replacing several batteries. There's a reason the radio turns off, like a PP said, it is preserving the battery. You're going to damage it if you force it to stay on when it knows it should be shutting off.
    08-01-09 10:19 PM
    I don't think the app is a good idea, unless you're looking at replacing several batteries. There's a reason the radio turns off, like a PP said, it is preserving the battery. You're going to damage it if you force it to stay on when it knows it should be shutting off.
    Sorry man, but I have to say it: that's not legit. As long you top the battery off when you get to a wall charger, your car, etc everything is A-OK.

The app is not meant for everyday use; its for "those" types of situations.

08-01-09 10:22 PM
    Yeah it works on the Tour. I have the Tour, use the Tour, own the Tour and installed it on my Tour.
    Thanks

I appreciate that, thanks. But I just want it for an emergency, for me and for my daughter's phone. She was just in a situation the night before last that she needed a last minute ride home (designated driver forgot they were!). She was in an area with a weak signal, so I guess the battery drained pretty quickly, and she couldn't call me from her phone, and her other friends left with the driver who shouldn't have been. She finally found someone who let her borrow their phone, but it put her in an uncomfortable situation until I got there.

Looooong story to say I just wanted for her and me for emergencies!
    08-01-09 10:25 PM
    Sorry man, but I have to say it: that's not legit. As long you top the battery off when you get to a wall charger, your car, etc everything is A-OK.

The app is not meant for everyday use; its for "those" types of situations.

I appreciate your opinion, but if you let a lithium ion battery drain down past a certain level, you're damaging the cells in it.
    08-01-09 10:28 PM
    The above story is the exact reason the app was written and why I posted the OTA.

08-01-09 10:30 PM
    I would find this app very useful, I screwed up the initial charge on my new battery and now it says it is at 10% when really it is at like 45%. I can do 2hrs of video and 4hrs of music playback before the device actually shuts off once it goes into radio off mode.
    There is an alternative way to get your radio to turn on but it will only stay on for about 2-5mins. Dial 911 and press end before it connects the call. This will enable the radio long enough to make a phone call and will disable the radio after 5 mins (if you are not on a call). Though if you do not end the call before it connects 911 may end up charging you for a false call.
    11-13-09 09:31 AM
    I would find this app very useful, I screwed up the initial charge on my new battery and now it says it is at 10% when really it is at like 45%. I can do 2hrs of video and 4hrs of music playback before the device actually shuts off once it goes into radio off mode.
    There is an alternative way to get your radio to turn on but it will only stay on for about 2-5mins. Dial 911 and press end before it connects the call. This will enable the radio long enough to make a phone call and will disable the radio after 5 mins (if you are not on a call). Though if you do not end the call before it connects 911 may end up charging you for a false call.
    how do you know what the actual level of the battery is at? and what do you mean when you say you screwed up the initial charge? is there a proper way to chrage the battery or something?
    11-13-09 10:16 AM
    Your supposed to fully charge it and I guess I did not. I say 45% or so because I use the phone for about 4hrs with radio on and then it goes from like 80% down to 10% in like a ~10 mins. I am guesstimating that %. But as I said, I can run video for 2hrs + another 4hrs of music before the phone does an automatic shutdown.
    11-13-09 10:25 AM
    oh ic.. thanks for clearing that up.
    11-13-09 12:40 PM
    Your supposed to fully charge it and I guess I did not. I say 45% or so because I use the phone for about 4hrs with radio on and then it goes from like 80% down to 10% in like a ~10 mins. I am guesstimating that %. But as I said, I can run video for 2hrs + another 4hrs of music before the phone does an automatic shutdown.
    My Seidio 2600 seems to be like that, but not nearly as bad. I notice when its fully charged at 100%, it seems to drain somewhat quickly until it hits 80%. Then I will continue to use my phone and it will stay at 80% a for a little while. Then it seems to start draining normally after that.

11-13-09 11:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD