I wonder if there's any sort of adapter that would work
    07-26-09 11:30 PM
    I fixed this issue with a OS whipe and full reinstall.

It seems that its a Software issue. The software senses if the headphones are plugged in or not.
    07-26-09 11:57 PM
    I fixed this issue with a OS whipe and full reinstall.

It seems that its a Software issue. The software senses if the headphones are plugged in or not.
    I just tried two more sets of headphones, and both worked without a problem. It's only the one pear of Shures that's the problem... but they worked fine on my Storm.

What was working for you and what wasn't working before you did the reinstall?
    Last edited by metsfan84; 07-27-09 at 07:49 AM.
    07-27-09 07:16 AM
    My headphones work fine, however my car's aux in cable does not work.
    07-27-09 12:26 PM
    Tried two more headphones during the course of the day... they both worked fine.

I went to Radio Shack and got an extender/volume control cord, and the Tour recognizes that jack, so the Shure headphones work when plugged into that. Definitely some sort of hardware issue, but I think the $9 the cord cost me is worth it rather than having to deal with a replacement phone.
    07-27-09 04:08 PM
    The OEM ear buds seem to work fine for me, but I can't find a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter that works for my wired headset (for calls when I don't want to use BT or my BT isn't charged).

Has anyone found an adapter that works? I've searched and can't find a headset for cell phone talking use (not music) with a 3.5mm jack.

Why the change from the old 2.5mm to the 3.5mm? Isn't the Tour supposed to be primarily a cell phone (and an 8830 replacement) and not an iPod wannabe? Cell phones generally have 2.5mm jacks!

This is my 2nd Tour and it's perfect in every other way so I've not going to exchange it over this, but it sure would be nice to find an adapter that works.
    07-27-09 04:28 PM
    Picked up my tour on the way to the airport, had to fly to CA for business, and loaded my music no problem. On the flight I went to listen to my Bose earphones and the speaker phone started belting out music on max volume...kind of embarrassing. I wiggled the jack and got it to work intermittently. Switched to a piece of junk pair of headphones I bought at a gift shop in Houston and they worked fine.

I am in agreement that this seems to be a hardware issue with the connections within the jack. No other explanation I can think of.
    I agree and I experienced the same issue and embarrassment
    07-30-09 06:57 PM
    it only works perfect with the BB headphones which are complete utter garbage because they are 4 pin

i tried to use a 3 pin 3.5mm mini jack for the aux jack in my truck and it didn't work..

i tried to use my Shure E4Cs and they dont work due to being 3 pin

then i tried my Shure MPA-3C which has 4 pins on the jack and a mic and then has a 3.5mm plug for any headphones you want so you can use it as a headset etc and it works flawlessly

blackberry just sucks at making a 3 pin 3.5mm compatible jack

for anyone with nice headphones buy the Shure MPA-3C
    07-30-09 07:01 PM
    Guys, its a defect. take it back. I went and exchanged for a new Tour and my new ones fine now. No need to wiggle nothing. simply plug the headphone in all the way and it plays on the headset the way its suppose to.
    07-30-09 07:34 PM
    I've experience the same jack problems on two different Tour phones - one slightly worse than the other.

I just received the referenced adapter below in the mail today and can confirm that it resolves the connection problem. I can connect my headphones or Monster FM Transmitter to this adapter, then the adapter to the Tour and have a rock solid connection - I literally can shake the crap outta the phone and not induce a problem.

The connection not withstanding, the overall sound coming out of the jack still seems to not be exactly right though. For instance, adjusting the left/right balance on my stereo in my truck the sound coming from the left channel is low volume and mainly treble while the right channel is higher volume with a more or less full bass/treble sound. Same on the bookshelf stereo in my house. I checked this phenomenon on my old Curve also and had very similar results...this may just be a Blackberry issue all around...

This is the device and merchant I used:

Newer Technology iPhone Headphone Jack Adap... (IPHJACKEXT) at OWC
    08-08-09 04:24 PM
    mine is screwed up too... works fine with my own earbuds but the oem ones won't work if they are plugged in all the way. I am debating whether to take it back or not because I don't feel like getting a new pin.l
    08-08-09 04:51 PM
    mine is screwed up too... works fine with my own earbuds but the oem ones won't work if they are plugged in all the way. I am debating whether to take it back or not because I don't feel like getting a new pin.l
    Now that I've got the adapter I wish I hadn't returned my original Tour for a replacement, it really made no difference...and the 2-3 hours it takes to re-configure everything is a real buzz kill. It's not worth it in my opinion unless the headphone jack is really messed up / non-functional. Having to invest in an adapter to fix a problem that RIM shouldn't have let get through manufacturing QC may be aggravating, but at just under $7 for the cure it's really not too bad.
    08-08-09 05:09 PM
    Now that I've got the adapter I wish I hadn't returned my original Tour for a replacement, it really made no difference...and the 2-3 hours it takes to re-configure everything is a real buzz kill. It's not worth it in my opinion unless the headphone jack is really messed up / non-functional. Having to invest in an adapter to fix a problem that RIM shouldn't have let get through manufacturing QC may be aggravating, but at just under $7 for the cure it's really not too bad.
    well my 30 days are coming up soon so I need to decide. I already put a phantomskins screen protector on this one too.
    08-08-09 05:18 PM
    well my 30 days are coming up soon so I need to decide. I already put a phantomskins screen protector on this one too.
    I'd say stick with the phone you have unless it's really bad. Like I mentioned in previous posts, the adapter seems to have cured the connection problems for me.
    08-08-09 05:27 PM
    wow this is nuts i just checked this forum and there are still problems with the headset jack Yeah I went through 2 tours and still have this problem and im a musician so my headset must work all the time idk what to do i dont want any other phone sooo.... hmm...
    09-11-09 04:42 AM
    I�ve read round the forum that the headphone jack on the tour its a bit temperamental. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn�t. In my experience it takes some fiddling to get it to work right. I had the same issue with the Storm, I just got used to it, it sucks but it�s a minor thing for me.
    09-11-09 08:10 AM
    I�ve read round the forum that the headphone jack on the tour its a bit temperamental. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn�t. In my experience it takes some fiddling to get it to work right. I had the same issue with the Storm, I just got used to it, it sucks but it�s a minor thing for me.
    I've seen around the forums that it happens with quite a few phones. Usually if you fiddle with it, or not push it completely into the jack usually that clears it up. I'm sure that RIM is all over it, like battery pulls. Someday there will be a fix.
    09-11-09 08:17 AM
    Yeah from the looks of it its an os problem well my bezel and headpiece are loose anyways frign frikn frik i kinda miss my old 8900 but on verizon now (never had a problem with 8900) ohh well 3rd times a charm... i hope
    09-14-09 05:01 PM
    Be VERY careful with the jacks you insert. I plugged in one from an Ipod player I had. It seemed to fit a tad tighter, but when I went to remove, it stuck. After some twisting, wiggling, and swearing.. it came out.
    So did the contact for the microphone though as well. I still had stereo sound, but no mic input.
    11-30-09 02:19 PM
    I am on Tour #4. Two of the previous had headset jack issues. To me this is still a hardware problem. The Tour I have now works just fine with all number of headphones and Aux cables, but I am always suspect of it not working when I need it to. Unlike my 8330 curve that still works with everything I plug into it. Perhaps RIM changed the headset jack itself on the newer phones

You shouldn't have to wiggle the connector or pull the pin out slightly to make it work. That is not correct. You should get a replacement, we all deserve a device that works properly

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-28-10 07:08 AM
    They should sit out about 5-10 millimeters out of the phone.
    the plug itself is only 7-10 milimeters
    02-28-10 08:58 AM
    Thanks to everyone who has posted on this thread. It makes me know that I am NOT crazy. I echo everything others have said who have had problems. I'm on my 4th Tour in 28 days. I realized after the 2nd one that the Radio Shack 3.5 aux cable I use in my car to listen to music from my BB was too big and probably breaking the jack. It sounds like I need the adapter that zzzbullseye pointed to. The problem is I want to get my hands on one that works within the next two days to ensure I can return it again if I encounter more problems.

Question: is there a brand of cable or adapter that works with your Tour that I can buy in a store? Thanks much fellow CBers!
    03-07-10 08:36 PM
    Last week out of nowhere, my phono jack on my phone decided to break after working fine since I got the phone. When I removed my ear buds one day, one of the metal contacts inside the jack decided to half come out at the same time. While I tried to gently push that contact back in, the alignment was off and never did work again. Phone still under warranty, so I took it back to VZW. There was an issue early on with the Tour that a 3mm plug would not fit into the jack. I thought I was past that.

The Tour has proven itself to be an unreliable device overall that was either poorly designed or used cheap components (trackballs, jacks). There are reports all through here of manufacturing defects, particularly the first models out. Such a shame that RIM is just like Toyota these days when it comes to quality. Neither seem to care.
    03-07-10 09:42 PM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD