Hey everyone. Like some of you, I've been having problems with my headphones working properly with my Tour. I've tried a couple different pairs, and they have a hard time being recognized by the phone, or start to work then stop.

My question is about the little headphones icon at the bottom of the screen in the media player. When i first click in my headphones (and it actually works), the little icon switches from the speaker to a full solid white headphone, but then it turns into a scrambled looking headphone. For those who don't have any problems with your headphones, should this icon be a solid white headphone? Or is it normal to look kind of jagged and scrambled? Does this mean it has a poor connection?

Thanks in advance.
    07-22-09 06:33 PM
    bump

I'd really like to know if anyone could help me out on this one.
    It's probably a dumb question, but worth asking in my mind because my headphones really don't work so well.
    07-22-09 10:11 PM
    I have a pair of Shure's that I have tried using with my Tour, they click into place, but like you, when you start to move or rotate the plug the icon turns to the scrambled icon and usually it just totally stops recognizing the earbuds and the speakerphone is turned on until the earbuds are back "just in the right position."
    This makes me think that the contacts inside are faulty, since it works sometimes, and other times not.
    I went to the Verizon store about this, the reps there are clueless about everything. The rep even told me "oh no need to use your own headphones, just use the ones that came with your phone." No thanks, I'll pass. Since RIM and Verizon like touting "enhanced multimedia" as one of the Tour's features, a headphone jack that doesn't work all the time is not acceptable, you wouldn't just ignore it on an iPhone, why should I ignore that on a BlackBerry? I'm going to call CS and request a new phone tomorrow.

Just on the side, I also have various other minor issues that I had decided to just ignore until now including the battery cover, the squeaking at the top, minor ripple effect when pushing buttons, etc. but the headphone jack issue is the deal breaker.
    07-22-09 10:46 PM
    hrmm...Does the headphone indicator change with the strength of the connection??? I would really like to know so I can go in to the store next time and tell the rep "look, no matter what pair of headphones I use, it doesn't connect properly". I went in earlier today and of course when the rep was trying it out he had little problem getting it to work. It did muff up on him twice, but he said not to worry about it unless it gets worse. I just don't want it to get worse after the 30 days is up and I can't get a new phone.
    07-22-09 11:18 PM
    Theoretically yes. But it seems a bit buggy to me. The earphones that came with my tour work fine, and these cheap $5 buds work fine. But once again I'll use the iPhone analogy, if your really good earphones/buds didn't work on your iPhone, you would be furious and exchange it immediately, that's the same feeling I have with my tour. Yes I CAN use the headset that was supplied, but I do not want to, I want to use my own standard 3.5mm headphones which it says is compatible. If the phone "muffed up twice" on the rep that should be enough of a reason to get a new phone. Clear indication of it not working properly... Let us know how it goes.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-22-09 11:30 PM
    bumpalump sil vous plait
    07-23-09 10:41 AM
    I tried 3 headphones, the one supplied, an old Sony headphone and a fancy audio-technica QuietPoint.

The sony headphone work the best. I noted that the sony had a straight 3.5mm connector while the other two phones had right angle ones.

The stock headphone that came with the tour was the worst performer. I tried twisting the connection and barely got it to connect.
    07-23-09 12:02 PM
    Did you guys return the Tour and get new one due to this issue? Are the new ones any better? As of now, I was willing to put up with ripple, batt cover, but this is really annoying! everytime, I have to wiggle, pull, push to get the connection just right, ridiculous. god i hate returning phones and going through that new process all over again. I just got my apps and setting etc...just right!
    07-23-09 06:12 PM
    I'm still on my second tour. My first one, the jack worked perfectly fine with any set of headphones I had used (BB, 2 apple, JVC, sony), but I had to return it for some other issues. This one is definitely pretty finkiky, but when I brought it in to the store for the rep to take a look at it, it hardly gave him any trouble at all. It did muff up on him twice like I had said, but he said just to keep an eye on it and if it got any worse to bring it back in. I plan on returning it closer to my 30 days in hopes that they have a better batch of phones in the store by then.
    My question still remains, for those who don't have any issues with the headphone jack: the little headphone indicator at the bottom of the screen, should it be a solid white headphone image, or is it jaggy and almost incomplete looking? I would really like to know if this jagged headphone image I have indicates a poor connection.
    07-23-09 11:44 PM
    Same here..on my second tour...first one had no problems...this one doesnt like some headsets...looks lilke i will be taking this one back too..sucks though..this one is so much better except this one problem!
    07-24-09 12:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD