I posted this in the Sprint Forum but I think I will get a better response here.

I am about to buy two BB's one for me and one for the wife. Based on the fact that the Tour 2 probably will not be available before the end of January, I would get the Tour because we will be spending a lot of time with web browsing and the better screen resolution is important. However I am very reluctant to get the Tour (price is NOT a factor). The 8350 has the touch pad and WiFi but the screen resolution of the Tour is a major factor. However if the problem of the Trackball, and browser freezing has not been solved I might have to look at an other carrier (T-Mobile) for their Bold 9700.

So getting to the point has the Trackball and browser problems been solved?
    12-20-09 06:46 PM
    i think that rim has fixed the trackball issue, mine has been working well, but if you can just wait for the tour 2, trackpad and wifi and in my opinion prob gonna be a better device then the 8530.e
    12-20-09 06:58 PM
    No issues with my Tour yet. Just made sure I loaded all the current software for it and have had no problems. Just went from the Palm Pre to the Tour and I would never go to a new released smartphone again. Too many issues to deal with.
    12-20-09 07:11 PM
    I posted this in the Sprint Forum but I think I will get a better response here.

I am about to buy two BB's one for me and one for the wife. Based on the fact that the Tour 2 probably will not be available before the end of January, I would get the Tour because we will be spending a lot of time with web browsing and the better screen resolution is important. However I am very reluctant to get the Tour (price is NOT a factor). The 8350 has the touch pad and WiFi but the screen resolution of the Tour is a major factor. However if the problem of the Trackball, and browser freezing has not been solved I might have to look at an other carrier (T-Mobile) for their Bold 9700.

Does anyone else want to chime in with an answer about the trackball and browser issues ?
    12-21-09 06:31 AM
    ive had mine for a few weeks now with no problems at all...i actually prefer the trackball to that trackpad, can't really give a good reason why but i just didn't care for the trackpad.
    12-21-09 07:56 AM
    I had to exchange my Tour twice and on my current phone the trackball works perfectly fine. AFAIK Sprint Tours assembled post 8/2/09 reportedly had been trackball-problem free. Since I am running a 5.0 hybrid soft, BB browser works fine but I hardly ever use it as Bolt 1.6 and Opera Mini Beta 2 browsers are much faster than stock.

I will probably get the Tour 2 (Essex) when it is available, but not because I absolutely need wifi (I don't, 3g is plenty fast and does not chew up battery life) or trackpad (trackball works fine), the only significant differences between current Tour and Tour 2. I played with the trackpad on Bold 9700 and wasn't overly impressed. I am a sucker for latest & greatest when it comes to my phone, but would still hate to pay retail for Tour 2.
    Last edited by dohturdima; 12-21-09 at 08:55 AM.
    12-21-09 08:51 AM
    The trackball problem was fixed in August - they redesigned the assembly.

I was never aware of any browser issue.
    12-21-09 09:06 AM
    I got my tour the week of Thanksgiving and haven't had any problems with it at all. Solid phone.
    12-21-09 09:21 AM
    first i would like to say ROLL TIDE

and secondly i bought my tour the day it came out. I must have gotten a lucky one cause i have not had one single problem with it. trackball works fine, browser works like its suppose to. i have even made four trips out of the country and it worked like a champ there to as well while using internet and BBM as well as my FB app.
    12-21-09 11:57 AM
    I purchased my Tour at the beginning of October, which had a build date of mid-August. In mid-November the trackball started deteriorating and got flat out annoying come December. I had it replaced last week at the Sprint store and now it's fine. (FYI they replaced it with a trackball from a Curve).

I dunno if I would go as far to say that the problem is gone, but if you have TEP then Sprint will take care of you if the problem comes up. If I purchase another Blackberry it will definitely have that trackpad so I don't have to deal with this.

Regarding the browser, it works. That's about all I can say about it. It's not terrible.
    12-21-09 12:19 PM
    Have not had no problems at all with my trackball or browser and I use it all the time.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-21-09 02:39 PM
    I would say yes. My first Tour had the trackball issue. Later they sent me a replacement with a great trackball! No other issues to speak of with the device.
    12-21-09 02:40 PM
    Trackball got stuck after 2 weeks and my build date was pretty late. Just got rid of the phone until something new comes out for Sprint. I don't care to deal with the only method of navigation on the device being unreliable.
    12-21-09 02:41 PM
    I got my Tour at the end of October and haven't had any problems (other than the dreaded OS 4.7 - 552 application index error). The hardware is solid. NOw just waiting for an official 5.0 OS..
    12-21-09 02:59 PM
    Got my Tour in November haven't had any problems yet.

12-21-09 04:30 PM

This has ben posted 100000 times all you had to do is search anyways YES!!!
    12-21-09 05:30 PM
    I got my Tour on release day and it was great except for having occasional trackball issues. I finally got a replacement last week as the trackball was getting worse. Trackball works fine on the replacement but I discovered yesterday that I couldn't get anything to go into the 3.5mm headset jack. I just called Verizon and they are sending me another replacement.
    12-21-09 09:36 PM
    Is there a way to check the build dates of these phones from the box while your at the store?
    12-21-09 09:45 PM
    Is there a way to check the build dates of these phones from the box while your at the store?
    How do you check the build date at the store ?
    12-22-09 07:33 AM
    My Tour, build date 11/2/09, has been fine so far. The plan was to wait for the Essex, but I found this one on CL. I was very concerned about the trackball problems. I have the trackball sensitivity at 70 vertical and 90 horizontal. I did notice some lag in the horizontal when it was set at 80.

Other than that, the phone has been great. My sister got the 9700 a few weeks ago. I will say, I definitely prefer the trackpad to the trackball and this is with very limited use of her 9700.

The browser on the Tour is fine. There are options, Bolt and Opera, that are faster and easily attainable.

You should be able to find a Tour at a reasonable price. I saw plenty on ebay for around $200 when I was looking and you will still have your upgrade to use when the Essex (Tour2) is released.

12-22-09 08:44 AM
    Only thing that still lingers a bit is the loose battery door. I just received a new in box warranty replacement (green dot) and the trackball is awesome, but the batt door is still loose. Very annoying and gives a cheap feel to the berry. I really hope this issue is addressed in the Essex.
    12-22-09 09:15 AM
    I have had mine since September. No trackball issues, no browser issues, no battery door issues. It is a great phone.
    12-22-09 09:18 AM
    My Tour, build date 11/2/09, has been fine so far. The plan was to wait for the Essex, but I found this one on CL. I was very concerned about the trackball problems. I have the trackball sensitivity at 70 vertical and 90 horizontal. I did notice some lag in the horizontal when it was set at 80.

Other than that, the phone has been great. My sister got the 9700 a few weeks ago. I will say, I definitely prefer the trackpad to the trackball and this is with very limited use of her 9700.

The browser on the Tour is fine. There are options, Bolt and Opera, that are faster and easily attainable.

You should be able to find a Tour at a reasonable price. I saw plenty on ebay for around $200 when I was looking and you will still have your upgrade to use when the Essex (Tour2) is released.

How do you know what build date is ? Where does one look to see it?
    12-22-09 07:17 PM
    I had to replace my first Tour due to a bluetooth issue. On my second and current Tour the 'F' key has fallen off. But a replacement colored keyboard should fix that problem. But other than the key falling off my second is great.
    12-22-09 07:23 PM
    Build date is on the box. Search the forums, someone put up a scan of the label not long ago and description of where to find it.
    12-22-09 07:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD