My original tour was defective and I got a one sent to me under warranty. The trackball on this one is a completely different trackball than the one on my other one. This one is made of soft mushy rubber and feels very cheap and crappy. If u push it too hard the friction from the rubber makes it very hard to move. You need to put a lot more pressure than usual to click it and this trackball feels nothing like any other blackberry I've seen as I've never seen a mushy soft rubber one. Anyone ever hear of this before?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-09-09 05:15 PM
    no big deal, if they sent you a bad one, just call them up and they will ship you out another... no biggy
    12-09-09 05:16 PM
    no big deal, if they sent you a bad one, just call them up and they will ship you out another... no biggy
    Alreadu getting a new one but what are they doing with their phones over there? Putting cheap aftermarket replacements on returns with trackball issues and sending them out as warranty refurbs? That doesn't seem right.

12-09-09 05:18 PM
    Alreadu getting a new one but what are they doing with their phones over there? Putting cheap aftermarket replacements on returns with trackball issues and sending them out as warranty refurbs? That doesn't seem right.

no, reburbs are known for very high quality, I perfer getting a refurb then a brand new Tour The refubs are very good that there seiding out, but obviously like yourself, one has slipped through
    12-09-09 05:52 PM
    Probably got my old Tour, sucker.
    12-09-09 06:03 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f141/de...cement-373526/

Had the same thing happen to me.

Call them and have them send you a new one.
    12-09-09 06:12 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f141/de...cement-373526/

Had the same thing happen to me.

Call them and have them send you a new one.
    that's both funny because I may have got yours, and also concerning if they are using subpar third party replacement trackballs to fix tours w/ faulty trackballs before being certified as refurbs I have no issue sending the phones back until I get a good one, hopefully I won't have to deal with that as that is a giant pain in my a$$ however. On the good side though at least I will have a stockpile of battery covers now so hopefully I can finally have a tight one for once.
    Last edited by davegrun; 12-09-09 at 06:28 PM.
    12-09-09 06:23 PM
    I just received a replacement 9630 from VZW yesterday. This looks and feels brand new and has resolved the track ball issues that I was facing. I'd ask for another one.
    12-09-09 08:39 PM
    Got the replacement replacement today and same crappy mushy trackball that jams up, what's going on here? It had a green dot too and so did the last one, I thought the green dot ones were supposed to be good? I know they have ones with normal trackballs because the very first replacement I had had a normal trackball on it but had some other issues that caused me to send it back
    12-10-09 02:17 PM
    Got the replacement replacement today and same crappy mushy trackball that jams up, what's going on here? It had a green dot too and so did the last one, I thought the green dot ones were supposed to be good? I know they have ones with normal trackballs because the very first replacement I had had a normal trackball on it but had some other issues that caused me to send it back
    what do you mean a mushy trackball??? explain in detail whats going on with these things your getting... what do you consider a normal trackball?
    12-10-09 02:22 PM
    Same exact thing happened to me. As soon as I picked it up, it felt cheap. I sent it back, the new one is on its way.
    12-10-09 02:23 PM
    what do you mean a mushy trackball??? explain in detail whats going on with these things your getting... what do you consider a normal trackball?
    its literally mushy, if you push it down you can phsyically feel the ball squish and flatten out. If you put pressure on the ball and don't feather it, the ball physically doesn't move or is very hard to move due to the friction from the rubber or whatever material. it also makes a real loud "click" noise when you press down, and it's hard to press down and you need to put a lot of pressure on it, not just a light click.

Normal trackballs are just normal, don't feel squishy and rubbery and hard to move like this one is when u apply pressure to it. Also they don't make a loud click noise when you click, it's loud enough that it distracts people in the library just from the click noise, normal one absolutely never did that. If you press a normal trackball down it doesn't get squishy or flat, just feels like a plastic ball or whatever it is made out of. The verizon store located near me is crappy and never has any tours in stock for replacement so my only option is to keep sending them back.

The two they sent both do these, I really hope i'm not gonna be sending them back and forth until I get a good one. It seems that with the returns Verizon gets that have trackball issues, they replace the trackballs with crappy cheap replacements that aren't used in the OEM blackberries, and there is no way in heck I am gonna keep any of these no matter how many tries it takes me to get to get a "normal" one.
    Last edited by davegrun; 12-10-09 at 03:01 PM.
    12-10-09 02:58 PM
    its literally mushy, if you push it down you can phsyically feel the ball squish and flatten out. If you put pressure on the ball and don't feather it, the ball physically doesn't move or is very hard to move due to the friction from the rubber or whatever material. it also makes a real loud "click" noise when you press down, and it's hard to press down and you need to put a lot of pressure on it, not just a light click.

Normal trackballs are just normal, don't feel squishy and rubbery and hard to move like this one is when u apply pressure to it. Also they don't make a loud click noise when you click, it's loud enough that it distracts people in the library just from the click noise, normal one absolutely never did that. If you press a normal trackball down it doesn't get squishy or flat, just feels like a plastic ball or whatever it is made out of. The verizon store located near me is crappy and never has any tours in stock for replacement so my only option is to keep sending them back.

The two they sent both do these, I really hope i'm not gonna be sending them back and forth until I get a good one. It seems that with the returns Verizon gets that have trackball issues, they replace the trackballs with crappy cheap replacements that aren't used in the OEM blackberries, and there is no way in heck I am gonna keep any of these no matter how many tries it takes me to get to get a "normal" one.
    as far as the trackball feeling squishy, that is normal, but that I mean if you slightly touch the trackball, the trackball will go down, but not far enough to click. You are able to bounce the trackball almost just by slightly pushing the trackball in a little and up again. That is normal for any Tour ever made, there are not solid trackballs that stay put until you click it, there made to move up and down slightly before actually clicking the trackball.

as far as the loud noise that you say you hear when you click the trackball, yes there is a click to the trackballs that your able to hear pretty good, but should not be load enough to distract people as you say yours does.

a good trackball, even if you put A LOT of pressure onto the trackball, you should still be able to move the trackball around without it getting stuck on anything. If you say yours is getting stuck when putting pressure onto it, by all means yes get a new Tour.

You say your Verizon store is pretty crappy near you..why not just call Verizon and have them send you out a new Tour? Tell them the situation your in and what you have gone through already. They will Fed-Ex you a new Tour in 2 days which is the way I always go if I have a problem and Verizon works very good with you over the phone.

Best of luck to you and report back when you get your other Tour, and Hopefully your able to get one thats right for once.. hard to believe you have such a dark cloud over your head with the last few phones you had!
    12-10-09 04:50 PM
    Sorry to rain on anyone's parade, but my Sprint Tour was acting weird the other week, could not send MMS messages at all.
    Took it back to the store and they opened a brand new box, and gave me the phone out of it.
    12-10-09 05:25 PM
    as far as the trackball feeling squishy, that is normal, but that I mean if you slightly touch the trackball, the trackball will go down, but not far enough to click. You are able to bounce the trackball almost just by slightly pushing the trackball in a little and up again. That is normal for any Tour ever made, there are not solid trackballs that stay put until you click it, there made to move up and down slightly before actually clicking the trackball.

as far as the loud noise that you say you hear when you click the trackball, yes there is a click to the trackballs that your able to hear pretty good, but should not be load enough to distract people as you say yours does.

a good trackball, even if you put A LOT of pressure onto the trackball, you should still be able to move the trackball around without it getting stuck on anything. If you say yours is getting stuck when putting pressure onto it, by all means yes get a new Tour.

You say your Verizon store is pretty crappy near you..why not just call Verizon and have them send you out a new Tour? Tell them the situation your in and what you have gone through already. They will Fed-Ex you a new Tour in 2 days which is the way I always go if I have a problem and Verizon works very good with you over the phone.

Best of luck to you and report back when you get your other Tour, and Hopefully your able to get one thats right for once.. hard to believe you have such a dark cloud over your head with the last few phones you had!
    thanks but it's not normal, if yours is squishy than you are getting the shaft too w/ a cheapo quality replaced trackball as well. I know it's not normal because I have another one sitting here that verizon sent me initially that has a normal track ball and it feels nothing like this one and it's hard so no way can it be described as "squishy". That one has a screen issue though, unfortunately. Also the one I originally bought had the same ball as this one, so yea you got one w/ a dud trackball too if it sounds like I'm describing yours.

After reading it again though I think you misunderstand, it's not "shaky" it's actually squishy, like the physical trackball flattens when you hit it, the ball itself squishes into itself because it's made of soft rubber or something, and there is no way my old one did that and the one I have sitting here that verizon sent me last weak that is defective in another manner definately is not made out of a squishy rubbery material.
    12-10-09 05:35 PM
    Oh, you're saying the trackball itself is squishy?? I never ever heard of that on any phone in my life having a trackball that can physically flatten out! That's very interesting to hear that, I did misunderstand you though, I didn't think you were talking about the trackball itself physically flattening itself. That's no where near normal and very fascinating to read that as I never heard of that issue with any known phone on the market

12-10-09 06:32 PM
    Oh, you're saying the trackball itself is squishy?? I never ever heard of that on any phone in my life having a trackball that can physically flatten out! That's very interesting to hear that, I did misunderstand you though, I didn't think you were talking about the trackball itself physically flattening itself. That's no where near normal and very fascinating to read that as I never heard of that issue with any known phone on the market

Yea I never heard of it either, but there are other people in here saying it happened to them too. Now I'm getting annoyed because the last two I got are like this. I think its f'ed up that Verizon is replacing returned phones with trackball issues with cheap non oem trackballs and sending them out as waranty replacements. Now I dunno what to do if they send me another like this. The thing feels like a toy more like a phone, that's how cheap and crappy it is. The material sticks to your finger making it very hard to scroll around too, scrolling up and down in a straight line is now a challenge. I mean u can see the silver ring wiggling around, its an absolute pos. I would have kept my original phone and put up with that trackball issue because it at least had a real RIM trackball unlike whatever the heck verizon is using on these refurbs

If any of u guys are familiar with raquetball the material this thing is made of feels exactly like the texture of a raquetball, sticky and everything.
    Last edited by davegrun; 12-10-09 at 07:48 PM.
    12-10-09 07:45 PM
    Mushy trackball?? I find that interesting....!

12-10-09 08:49 PM
    I swear people have OCD with these dam trackballs. Dude wait for the Tour 2. Don't put yourself through this anymore.
    12-10-09 09:35 PM
    I swear people have OCD with these dam trackballs. Dude wait for the Tour 2. Don't put yourself through this anymore.
    that's kind of difficult since I'd have to pay like 500 dollars or whatever since I just got a 2 year contract back in August. Nothing is wrong with the Tour, it's an awesome phone. Just a lot of them are defective in different ways, but the non defective ones are fantastic, and eventually I'll get one
    12-10-09 10:05 PM
    Received my replacement Tour today, it has the squishy trackball as well. While it is different from the original, it doesn't feel cheap. I actually like it better than the other trackball which felt really hard and hurt my thumb after heavy use.
    12-10-09 10:10 PM
    I got a new replacement today and it has a normal trackball on it, but the silver ring surrounding the trackball is loose and you can see it wiggling around when you use the trackball. Is that normal and I'm just being overly picky now or are they still giving me the shaft with these warranty replacements?
    Last edited by davegrun; 12-11-09 at 11:55 AM.
    12-11-09 11:48 AM
    I got a new replacement today and it has a normal trackball on it, but the silver ring surrounding the trackball is loose and you can see it wiggling around when you use the trackball. Is that normal and I'm just being overly picky now or are they still giving me the shaft with these warranty replacements?
    the sliver around the trackball is suppose to move.. thats normal
    12-11-09 02:01 PM
    the sliver around the trackball is suppose to move.. thats normal
    hmm ok guess I was being anal. At least they got it right on the third one, the difference between the trackballs is immense though, I feel bad for all the people getting stuck with the cheapo ones and not even realizing it. It's annoying that it took them 3 tries to get it right but I can't complain about their customer service which was great, they just kept over nighting me new ones with hardly any questions asked once I explained I didn't like this type of trackball they were putting in it and wanted a normal one.
    12-11-09 02:24 PM
    i know what you're talking about, i made a thread about it last week. it's nowhere as BAD as you make it seem though. basically you just have to feather the trackball as any sort of pressure will just jam it in one place. it is PRETTY annoying, and i think all refurb'd tours will be like this from now on. It probably is more reliable than the trackball we're used to, otherwise why change it? That's what i figure....anyways luckily for me someone stole my tour at the club before i could swap it to the "mushy" version. Got one from insurance that's the way i like it and i'm shipping the "mushy" one back to vz dub. btw the most annoying part about the "mushy" trackball is the fact that it is recessed a little more so that it takes more pressure to click it in. (but i see that as possibly a method to fix the trackball issues, i mean the only reason they would change it is because of the ridiculous amount of complaints about it) just my $.02
    Last edited by cookieronster; 12-11-09 at 03:27 PM.
    12-11-09 03:23 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD