I'm really only concerned about the screen. Replacing the body should be relatively cheap and easy to do. So if you carry it naked, just replace the case once a year.

I carried my curve in a pouch for a year with only a screen guard and its still in really good shape.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-19-09 11:11 AM
    The easy pieces to apply changed the look and feel of the device, to the point that its almost tacky looking (Think plastic covered couch).
    I got the invisible shield. Got the full body protection but right now only have on the screen...and thinking of taking off and getting different protector.

In terms of body protection, I'm torn. I want protection but I really like the matte finish.

In terms of the screen, my boyfriend decided he would do it so now I don't know whether to attribute blame to him or Zagg, but either way the screen now just looks/feels kind of dirty/cheap -- like a fake 99 cent store toy or the screen of the non-live models in the phone store.

Although the comment above was about PhantomSkinz, I agree with the sentiment -- hate to scar just to protect...
    07-19-09 11:33 AM
    well after about 5 hours it does look better.

I wish there was something that would protect the entire black chrome bezel (without film gaps). That is the part that i know will need the most protection on my device. From reading other posts on here, it sounds like i can get a replacement bezel in time when needed.

I have decided as a personal choice, not to install the rest of the full body kit, I like the look and feel of the rubberized plastic and don't want the film look.

The screen protector in the full kit covers the entire screen and I am more satisfied with it now then right after install.
    07-19-09 03:07 PM
    Phantom skinz covers the ENTIRE screen on my tour as well. Strange...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-19-09 05:10 PM
    Well, I ripped mine off again. It has some weird striping issues going on. Why can't the whole phone be made of matte finish?! Screw this chrome and glossy black!
    07-19-09 08:40 PM
    Looks like my second attempt at putting the screen guard again has led to the rainbowish striiping. Its been close to 24 hours and still not gone.

Guess i'll wait for BSE to get theirs. I know i'll have no problems with them.
    07-19-09 09:05 PM
    Looks like my second attempt at putting the screen guard again has led to the rainbowish striiping. Its been close to 24 hours and still not gone.

Guess i'll wait for BSE to get theirs. I know i'll have no problems with them.
    if you have a rainbow look, the only thing that would make it look rainbowish is if you used to much soap. did you?
    07-19-09 09:08 PM
    if you have a rainbow look, the only thing that would make it look rainbowish is if you used to much soap. did you?
    I used about the same amount I used when applying the BSE on my curve which didn't have the rainbow look.

The first Phantom I put on had the rainbow stripes also and I didn't use any soap that time.

Maybe I just got a defect.
    07-19-09 09:09 PM
    I used about the same amount I used when applying the BSE on my curve which didn't have the rainbow look.

The first Phantom I put on had the rainbow stripes also and I didn't use any soap that time.

the directions when you get phantomskins does not say anythign about putting soap in the water. I didn't use any soap and mine came out crystal clear. Phantomskins directions tells you exactly what you have to do, I have it sitting right in front of me and no where does it say put soap in the water.
    07-19-09 09:12 PM
    i want phantomskins but am afraid to put it on myself. wish they had a retailer in like a mall kiosk or something. definitely worth the extra money to have someone experienced apply it for u
    07-19-09 09:36 PM
    where do you find the link on Phantom's page to go to your account and track your orders or what is the link? I saw the page once when I finished ordering but don't know how to get there again.

thanks
    07-19-09 11:35 PM
    Really? All 3 PS threads?

I don't see anything on the site about order tracking, but mine came in 2 days and I'm in the same city. Given that info, I'd say it's a safe bet it ships day of or next day. Add in your shipping time and you should have a good ETA.
    07-20-09 01:59 AM
    Well then, obviously either I'm going crazy or they packed the wrong skin.

Gonna send them an email tomorrow and return it in that case. Mistakes happen (Verizon Tour in Sprint Box anyone?).
    I received my PhantomSkinz in the mail yesterday and mine, too, only covers part of the screen.

I didn't order the entire kit just the screen but this isn't large enough to cover the entire screen.
    The Phantom Skinz does cover the entire screen including the little black border. There is only about 1/2 of a millimeter gap around the edges, hardly worth complaining about IMO. Check out the thread I started a while back for pictures of the edges around the screen and you will see what I'm talking about. BTW, if they made it exactly the size of the screen, don't you think that would make it 100x harder to apply?

http://forums.crackberry.com/f141/ph...ctures-266164/

If yours doesn't look like this then take pictures of your Phantom Skinz and show us.

I have been at it for the last 75 min with this PhantomSkinz. This is not my first, second, or third time putting clear film on my various devices. This is my first time with the PS product. I must say i am NOT impressed. I really want a refund, but i balled up my overly applied pieces out of disgust.

Just a word of caution. The full skin does not fully cover the edges of the phone (where dropped phones always seem to land). The exposed edge is really what made me lose faith in the product. It just didnt cover what i really wanted covered. The easy pieces to apply changed the look and feel of the device, to the point that its almost tacky looking (Think plastic covered couch). Bottom line is the pattern could be improved on IMO.

My first two pieces (screen and earpiece plate) are the only two that i have kept on the phone. Those will be gone when i find a suitable replacement. I wish i had never peeled off the factory screen protector.

Next i will be looking for a harder more clear protector, just like what i have on my ipod screens. While i know mine is not dried and cured, i went ahead and turned the device back on and you can clearly see the manufacturing "lines" that everyone talks about.

I will update in a day or so when i know it has had sufficient time to dry.

edit: The screen piece does cover the entire screen.
    Once again, you are wrong. This does cover the entire phone including all of the bezel, sides, and everything else on the phone aside from the actual camera lens and the qwerty keyboard. Check the pictures for yourself.

well after about 5 hours it does look better.

I wish there was something that would protect the entire black chrome bezel (without film gaps). That is the part that i know will need the most protection on my device. From reading other posts on here, it sounds like i can get a replacement bezel in time when needed.

I have decided as a personal choice, not to install the rest of the full body kit, I like the look and feel of the rubberized plastic and don't want the film look.

The screen protector in the full kit covers the entire screen and I am more satisfied with it now then right after install.

Take some pictures of the rainbow stripes you are talking about. Those were there on both my Storm and now my Tour immediately after install. But they tell me it is the light shining through the slight amount of water that is under the Phantom Skinz immediately after it is installed. It does go away within about 3 hours though.

Once again, take some pictures and show us what it looks like. But give it a few hours to dry first obviously. I'd be curious to see if you are talking about something different than I am.

If you are talking about the same thing as me, it should be more noticeable when the sceen is white. Use a hair dryer like they do a the mall install places and speed up the process if you're in a hurry.
    07-20-09 12:53 PM
    Well unfortunately I had to take my device back to VZW because of a jacked up end key. So they got my tour with the film.

My screen film did have a solid vertical line aprox 1 pixel wide. I bet that is just a mfg issue. It was only visible on blank or dark screen images (as was the plastic look).

As far as the bezel protection, i just couldnt get over the seams and gaps.
    07-20-09 01:12 PM
    And on CB's pictures, I can clearly see them. They may be small, but can be felt on the device itself. I had my Storm fully skinned and just didn't care for the feel of it. I much prefer the device to be smooth and without the edge bumps from those seams and gaps.
    07-20-09 06:59 PM
    The Phantom Skinz does cover the entire screen including the little black border. There is only about 1/2 of a millimeter gap around the edges, hardly worth complaining about IMO.
    I'm not doubting you, your thread got me excited to receive mine.

However, the screen covers I got DID NOT cover the entire screen. I don't care if you don't believe me. But, a couple other people in this thread have the same issue too.

As for the skin. I removed it and mailed it back this afternoon. I'm waiting for BSE or someone to get a case I like out.
    07-20-09 08:42 PM
    Mine shipped out today. Can't wait! This will be the first time I'm trying full body protection. Soooo much better than these bulky cases. I'll post when I get these on
    07-20-09 08:58 PM
    Soooo much better than these bulky cases. I'll post when I get these on
    100% correct. A bunch of my buds have a G1 and I have no idea how they mange to stuff those things in their pockets. It's an event to pull one out. And then you've got all that bulge when walking around. The Tour's so much more pocket friendly and I'd like to keep it that way. Easy in, easy out, no bulge!

I sent off a reply to PS and they'll be sending me a replacement pair...good CS.
    07-21-09 02:29 AM
    Well unfortunately I had to take my device back to VZW because of a jacked up end key. So they got my tour with the film.

My screen film did have a solid vertical line aprox 1 pixel wide. I bet that is just a mfg issue. It was only visible on blank or dark screen images (as was the plastic look).

I'm still confused as to what you are trying to say. On my Phantom Skinz there are no pieces of the bezel left uncovered, and as far as the seams go, all of the edges end up touching each other so they feel like one continuous piece anyways.

If you think about it, you can tell there is something on the phone when you hold it. But if I'm just going about my day, I don't notice any edges or anything. Definitely something I'm willing to put up with so that my baby is protected. If I handed someone my phone who had never seen a Tour before, they would never know that anything was even on it.
    07-22-09 09:34 PM
    I would know instantly, freak out, and fast ball it into the nearest wall out of fear...thus defeating the purpose of protecting your device w/ a Phantom and therefore "creepy" skin. You may as well have left it naked.

So you don't have edges? That must be an improvement from the Storm layout. Can you get a close up shot of the chrome bezel? That's really my only beef w/ the skin...the edges. If that's no longer an issue, I'd love to get it fully wrapped. It just offers a real peace of mind when tossing the phone around...especially into a pile of other stuff, like a Camelback.
    Last edited by Jodiuh; 07-23-09 at 12:25 AM.
    07-23-09 12:23 AM
    I would know instantly, freak out, and fast ball it into the nearest wall out of fear...thus defeating the purpose of protecting your device w/ a Phantom and therefore "creepy" skin. You may as well have left it naked.

So you don't have edges? That must be an improvement from the Storm layout. Can you get a close up shot of the chrome bezel? That's really my only beef w/ the skin...the edges. If that's no longer an issue, I'd love to get it fully wrapped. It just offers a real peace of mind when tossing the phone around...especially into a pile of other stuff, like a Camelback.
    Yea the edges are a very tight fit which makes the skin feel like one piece. I started the other tread a while back about having Phantom Skinz on my Tour. Theres a link to it in my signature. You should be able to see how all the edge pieces meet up from those pics. I guess if you want me to take more I can. Let me know

Yea the piece of mind is great. I'm really not all that rough on my phones, so when I drop one its like a tragedy. But the Phantom Skinz helps ease my worries.
    07-25-09 06:16 PM
    I have installed skins myself on 2 BlackBerries and 2 iPods, and really didn't look forward to the stress of doing it again on the Tour. (Especially since I bricked my first iPod Touch by constantly re-wetting the film to get it PERFECT. $200+ mistake!)

So, after reading here about having someone experienced do it, I took off for the mall and found a place that sold & installed Invisible Shields and had them cover my poor, naked Tour and re-do the crappy job I had done on my iPod, and I couldn't be happier. They charged me $20 per device for installation, but it's better than having another fancy paperweight, and they both look gorgeous.
    07-26-09 07:10 PM
    I saw that my Best Buy now does installations of Invisible Shields, but I don't like the way the Invisible Shield feels and looks (I had one on my 8830 before I replaced it with a BSE). It felt "squishy" and got that orange-peel look pretty quickly.

I put a PhantomSkinz screen protector on my Tour to keep the screen from getting scratched while I decide what to do. I'm not thrilled with it; it's been 36+ hours and I still have some of those vertical lines showing when the screen is white or very light. I applied it exactly as directed, even watching the video to make sure I didn't screw it up, and I've applied skins before without a problem.

I actually like the way the Tour feels without a skin, so I'm thinking of ordering a full-body BSE when they're available and just covering the front of the phone and the area around the camera lens.
    07-26-09 07:33 PM
    So, after reading here about having someone experienced do it, I took off for the mall and found a place...
    There's got to be something obvious they're all doing that were are not. There's FAR too many of us experiencing the same issues for it to be random. Maybe I'll go down to the mall tomorrow and watch them do it.
    07-27-09 02:28 AM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD