On Friday i returned the tour (9630) and went back to pearl (8130). Here is why:

1) this was my second tour, first one had a trackball that was completely unusable. Fair enough, hardware problems happen, swapped it out the next day.

2) second tour had a working trackball but with button press, it also did the screen wiggle... fine i can live with this

3) neither first or second tour had a working GPS with google maps.

4) it freezes for about 10 seconds at random times

5) restart times. this is just ridiculous, over 10 minutes! i end up doing it about once a week for various reasons. totally unacceptable.

6) automatic key lock randomly locks after just a few minutes of inactivity while in standby mode. pull out blackberry after 5 minutes in standby and bam it's already locked.

7) the profiles simply don't work without creating your own profile. there are too many profiles. and too many useless customizations, why would my gtalk need different settings than yahoo messenger or bb messenger? really?

8) random reboots... RANDOM REBOOTS! WTF HOW ABOUT A 15 MINUTE RANDOM REBOOT ONCE EVERY 2 DAYS?

9) also some other annoyances that i don't remember now. but worst of all are the dropped calls. i found new and exciting "dead zones" that I've never had with a 8330 or 8130. how exciting! can have a full signal at 80 dBm and then BAM, disconnected! then a second later full signal again. monitoring the signal strength shows what's going on, it's jumping between 80 and 110 almost randomly. up down up down ..

It's really too bad because i loved the new screen and some new OS options but there is no way that I'm going to put up with dropped calls and reboots for a high rez screen.

went back to a pearl that was just laying around. guess what, this old phone feels like a blackberry should, solid like a rock. screen is behind a plastic shield, track ball comes out to be serviced, simple menus. Everything is SOLID. why can't RIM release devices with the same quality? Maybe they are past their peak, perhaps my next device is going to have to be with another OS. I don't care for brand name, whatever i have just has to work well and not give me ridiculous problems.

I demand quality when i pay $300 and sign a 2 year contract. The new unit should be better than whatever it's replacing. in fact i felt that going to the pearl was the "upgrade"... too bad.
    08-16-09 12:08 AM
    In before "my tour is perfect"

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-16-09 12:18 AM
    Hmmmm Unfortunate. Mine works great. Enjoy the pearl.

08-16-09 12:23 AM
    Pearl? Instead of a Tour?
    08-16-09 12:25 AM
    Pearl? Instead of a Tour?
    It's basically "whatever's on hand instead of a tour".

i know it kills me too...
    08-16-09 12:27 AM
    In before "my tour is perfect"
    crazy thing is that i know that pearl is a compromise device and i never liked it. 8330 was the favorite device, but pearl is at least usable and doesn't drop calls.
    08-16-09 12:28 AM
    Some of these annoyances gives me the vibe you haven't given your Tour a chance and you don't know what you are doing. Try upgrading the OS, play around with it a little bit. I know you expect everything to be perfect out of the box, but there are endless possibiities with a blackberry as you should know, and you are definitely in the minority when it comes to dissatisfaction.
    08-16-09 12:29 AM
    Some of these annoyances gives me the vibe you haven't given your Tour a chance and you don't know what you are doing. Try upgrading the OS, play around with it a little bit. I know you expect everything to be perfect out of the box, but there are endless possibiities with a blackberry as you should know, and you are definitely in the minority when it comes to dissatisfaction.
    don't assume that the person on the other end knows less about blackberrys than you do, it's insulting.

what am i doing wrong? talking from inside a safe? the damn thing drops calls like it's a feature! it RELIABLY drops calls!

it randomly reboots, what do i have to upgrade to fix this?!

and you are definitely in the minority when it comes to dissatisfaction.
    absolutely not a chance. just because some people don't go on crackberry forums to post their bad experience doesn't mean that they're not having problems. most people just accept problems because they are not savvy enough to understand that these problems are not the norm.
    08-16-09 12:39 AM
    I received my Tour 2 days after release and can honestly say I have never had any major problem at all. Give it another shot, I think your patience will be rewarded.
    08-16-09 12:41 AM
    anyway, all i'm saying is that RIM should be ashamed of themselves for these problems. i can live with a software problem, but hardware? not a chance.
    08-16-09 12:41 AM
    I received my Tour 2 days after release and can honestly say I have never had any major problem at all. Give it another shot, I think your patience will be rewarded.
    I'm going to wait 6 months at least. Then will give one a try again.
    08-16-09 12:42 AM
    I didn't mean to sound like I was attacking you, but dropped calls is not a hardware issue
    08-16-09 12:44 AM
    i'd wait till an os upgrade is released.

remember the storm? it was a god damned greek tragedy, but they ended up getting it right after os updates.

everything you said was wrong could be fixed with an os update or two. or you are just complaining about features. (profile preferences)
    08-16-09 01:00 AM
    I didn't mean to sound like I was attacking you, but dropped calls is not a hardware issue
    Actually thats not true...my 9530 had a bad radio/antenna (constantly dropping from 1XEV to 1X to EV back to 1xev) and was the cause of me returning my first Storm (as well as click issues and dust). So yes it can potentially be hardware related.

Oh and ya for this being my 666 post!!
    Last edited by REC7IFY; 08-16-09 at 01:09 AM.
    08-16-09 01:04 AM
    I sure hope it's not :-( will wait for a new software release and then we'll see where the tour ends up. hope its fixable. ive read that it's because the GSM antenna is interfering or somehow taking away from CDMA, but in that case the 8830 would also have had these problems which i don't remember seeing.

just seems like some design decisions that have been made are very poor. For instance, how about a shield above the LCD? why did they take it away? What's with the screen pressure sensitivity when using the top row of buttons? Why did they change the trackball housing? It was perfectly accessible and worked great.
    08-16-09 11:29 AM
    My "in before my tour is perfect" wasn't meant to be demeaning to you (OP) at all. I just knew the groupies who accept a phone with poor build quality would have to chime in.
    And I was pretty high, so I let it roll on out

I understand where you're coming from.

08-16-09 11:32 AM
    A lot of the issues witht he tour seem to be software related and will eventually be fixed. My experience has been great outside of a few random reboots. I am getting a new tour because of this issue, but again it could just be due os malfunctions. I firmly believe tha� when we read reviews and see the newest berry, we think it will be without fault. Look at the number of devices RIM is releasing compared �o everyone else, we are getting rushed orders to saturate the market. Fewer quality devices would be much better.

08-16-09 12:26 PM
    Well good...I will take that really bad tour that you hate so much off your hands.

It's better to give it to someone rather just letting it collect dust.

LOL

08-16-09 12:32 PM
    Well good...I will take that really bad tour that you hate so much off your hands.

It's better to give it to someone rather just letting it collect dust.

LOL

I will be more than happy to sell you mine for the price I paid (outright price). I think Im going back to the one in the drawer.
    08-16-09 02:41 PM
    Some of these annoyances gives me the vibe you haven't given your Tour a chance and you don't know what you are doing.
    Pretty much my thoughts as well. Reading over that opening tirade just really gave me the impression that the op hadn't give the equipment a chance, and had simply drank the kool-aid about "problems" the Tour has.
    08-16-09 02:44 PM
    Sorry to hear about your Tour issues. Mine has a few also, but not enough to worry about. Freeze for 10 seconds randomly is probably the only one that annoys me.

At least you are still using a BlackBerry!
    08-16-09 02:46 PM
    I'd at least go for a Curve man, you can find one on Cl for like $100 I'm sure.
    08-16-09 03:00 PM
    Verizon has sold multiple thousands of these phones and the return rate is less than 4%. It seems a little condescending to say the average user is not savvy enough to understand their phone does not work. I just hope one day I am as smart as you so I realize I don't like my Tour.......I sure thought I did.
    08-16-09 03:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD